Gender Neutral Tees

WGCRider

Visit site
During some of my early morning solo rounds ill,often play off the reds on a few holes....and, for me, if you hit the ball "normal " male distances you can find yourself in trouble very quickly
On some holes the hazards are only reachable by the longest of the ladies but I can reach them .
And if youre a little off line you're in the poo....
I get 8 shots off the Whites and Yellows, 7 off the Reds
Might play a full round off the reds one day.....

Yeah - this was my experience - Hence the 7 iron off the tee on the par 5. Also got 1 less shot and par was 70 rather than 72.
Without opening another debate it's also where WHS comes into it's own.

sjw

Visit site
The only thing it showed was recommendations according to your handicap. Nothing else.
EG. My Hcap is 17.6 and it recommends playing off the white tees. But if you 18 plus hcap yellow tees. It seemed a bit lazy to me because it don’t take into consideration age etc.
I have only Started playing off yellows this season and our fuddle had a discussion about me playing off yellows. Some were not happy even though I dropped two shots off the fuddle hcap to allow for it. Oddly enough our fuddle did a team comp off yellows yesterday 😂
I left the odd comment or two on our what’s app group.
Just had a look and I have deleted the email but I would have thought all England golf members would have been sent it.
Why would age make a difference?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All irrelevant if two people are off the same index
There are quite a few old guys at our place with handicaps. They don’t play 18 holes or go in comps. There bodies won’t do 18 only 9. I doubt there hcaps have changed in years.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
We had an email off our secretary last week. Basically it was sent on by him From Golf England. It was recommendations of what tee you should play off depending on your handicap. Personally I thought it was rammel and I told him so. I honestly don’t know what the point is spending all this time money to have courses rated from Different tees. Then England golf say we think you should play from
This tee. Everyone is individual and they can decide.
For me England golf have massively muddied the waters by having multi tee comps and then giving extra shots to all. Then they give advice on what tee to use. 😳
Someone at England golf needs to give their head a wobble. The game is about enjoying it and if it means someone wants to play off whatever tee they want to, they shouldn’t feel there going against
“ recommendations”
Is it a generic E-mail or one tailored to your club. If the former I don't see how they could possibly be making such a recommendation, given the vast variety of courses we have in this country. Personally very doubtful such an email originated from EG. The very reason EG do recommend players play from the tee's that most matches their ability is precisly so that players get the most enjoyment out of the game, nobody though should be feeling under any obligation to play from any paricular tee's whether that is recommended by the club or by EG.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Why aren't so called "Gender neutral" tees not actually gender neutral? They are actually "gender not neutral" tee at the moment. It alway seems to me that any argument, actually ususally, only one argument, that ladies don't hit as far as gentlemen, would probably be more relevant when applied to a different binary split of golfers: young people versus old people.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You wouldn't know it from our website but according to the EG app all of our tees except the men's comp (white) are now rated for both men and women.

Love the idea of just re-colouring to take away the old ideas, for anyone whose course has done this - how did the old farts react? I can imagine some negative reactions at our place :)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I raised the question with our club as to why all our tees aren't gender neutral and we cant play off any at any time. (Whites and blacks only for comps etc). The captain emailed back and said that he agreed with me and raised it in a committee meeting but was out voted 6-2. He agreed that in these days of equality for all it would be the most sensible approach but said the lady captain was incensed at the thought that men be allowed to play off the forward tees.

Just another example of our club being stuck in the past in many ways unfortunately. The committee really haven't painted themselves in a good light this year and the fact that they've just allowed our best greenkeeper to leave without even countering the offer he'd received from another fairly local club is an absolute farce, especially when the excellent work he has put in around the course over the last 4 years is plain for everyone to see.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our ladies were horrified when it was suggested their red tees be also rated for men as they reckoned they surface would be hammered to death by the men (probably so).
As a result no men's tees can be placed within 10 yards of the fixed red markers.
Their forward green tees have now been dual rated. "As those 'seniors' who play them don't make such a mess of them".
As it happens, it works well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I raised the question with our club as to why all our tees aren't in gender neutral and we cant play off any at any time. (Whites and blacks only for comps etc). The captain emailed back and said that he agreed with me and raised it in a committee meeting but was out voted 6-2. He agreed that in these days of equality for all it would be the most sensible approach but said the lady captain was incensed at the thought that men be allowed to play off the forward tees.

Just another example of our club being stuck in the past in many ways unfortunately. The committee really haven't painted themselves in a good light this year and the fact that they've just allowed our best greenkeeper to leave without even countering the offer he'd received from another fairly local club is an absolute farce, especially when the excellent work he has put in around the course over the last 4 years is plain for everyone to se
Am gobsmacked reading a couple of posts where ladies sections of golf are against the changes. Women have had a bum deal for years when it has come to some areas of men Running golf and clubs. It seems that some women as well as men are still against change and are stuck in the 1800,s.
Unbelievable Geoff.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I would guess there would be uproar with us if the red were rated for men. And with justification. The tees are very small for the ladies, but thats fine. They were built to suit about 15% of the traffic that the mens tees get, and would get badly cut up if many men started playing them, taking their big beever pelts.
So not a realistic option, and better course improvement projects to spend money on than enlarging them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't buy that the Red tees would get cut up...
Realistically, how many Men are going to play from them? And how often?
The majority wouldn't be seen dead playing from them, whether they're allowed or not, rated or not.....rightly or wrongly......
Most aren't going to use them...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've recently rated our reds for men and yellows for ladies. Both sets get equal attention and will monitor use of the par 3 reds into the Autumn ,may introduce compulsory mats .
Have done the reds for the Senior men who have lost distance

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't buy that the Red tees would get cut up...
The proof of the pudding .....
Many of our fixed yellow markers are within 20 yards of the reds. When the yellow areas had previously encroached into the red zone, the increased wear and tear was very obvious. Especially the divot holes from the use of irons.
As it happens, we have just announced a rolling five year course plan. One of the items is enlarging the smaller teeing grounds to inter alia reduce overlapping and widen the potential teeing areas

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And that’s probably true but can’t be relied on so I’m sure you can see that until that’s been demonstrated some might be wary.
Absolutely.....I'm just thinking that your average male member wouldn't play off the Reds unless forced to.
We even went as far as introducing a Green tee for, shall we say, more experienced male members to use so they could play a shorter course but not have to "lower" themselves to playing off the Reds....the fact that the Green and Red markers are within 5 yards of each other and often the Reds are behind the Greens makes me chuckle.
I'll play off any tee...
Funny bunch Male golf club members.......

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What about forward tees for lady golfers who have lost distance ?
At least most courses already have three tees for men. But I dont think I have ever seen anything other than one size fits all for ladies.

Surely that is where clubs should be going first, rather then a 4th or 5th option for men ? Or is it that golf course design is really golf course for men design, ladies an afterthought ?