Gender Neutral Tees

WGCRider

Visit site
In the last month I've played 4 different courses off the forward tees. For 2 of them it broadly made no difference to the choices I made from the tee. For 1 of them it mildly improved the par 3's (to be honest it's that they are overly long from the back tees). For the other it basically turned it into a different course. Off the tee it was wood instead of driver 3 times, iron instead of driver 4 times, driver instead of iron on 2 par 4's. Teed off with a 7 iron on a par 5.
Anyway - really enjoyed it, would do it again, highly recommend.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played nine holes at my club off the reds earlier this year, because I was playing with my wife so thought why not go off the same tees? I played crap so it obviously didn't help. Some of the holes were very different though. First hole for example, a par 3, became a 9 iron instead of a wood or hybrid that it is usually. The 10th (also p3) was a mid-iron instead of a wood too. I guess it made less difference the longer the hole is though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thinking it through where I play it would make about 6 holes easier and a couple harder.

We had a design team review our course a couple of years ago and one of the comments made was about the lack of real differentiation between the tees

Mens CR yellow 69.4 slope 124
Mens CR Red 67.4 slope 123

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
During some of my early morning solo rounds ill,often play off the reds on a few holes....and, for me, if you hit the ball "normal " male distances you can find yourself in trouble very quickly
On some holes the hazards are only reachable by the longest of the ladies but I can reach them .
And if youre a little off line you're in the poo....
I get 8 shots off the Whites and Yellows, 7 off the Reds
Might play a full round off the reds one day.....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We switch up between yellows (old reds) and whites (old yellows) to keep life interesting

You see guests off the yellows now which is good, they get less beaten up

One hole is defo harder tho, angel changes, takes the run from the hill out of play

We like sometimes the super 6. 6 yellows, 6 white 6 black

Drawn at random

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We had whites and yellows rated for males and reds rated for females.

Always limited thinking and missing the trick at our club. Takes them ages to "keep up" and change the dress code.
I shall ask again on Saturday, if there are plans to have all three tees rated for both genders.
Typically, website has an ancient card and no ratings to be found anywhere. See below.
It has SSS for yellows as 68 and this was changed to 69 some years before WHS introduction. Quite sad.
Cardboard one has necessary info.

White Par 70, CR 70.8, SR 132. Yellow Par 70, CR 69.1, SR 127.

Red (Female Only) Par 71, CR 72.1, SR 128

scrappy card.jpg

I would welcome a game off the reds. Don't know of any geezers that have given it a go. It might not even be "allowed".
The 7th would have to be reduced to par 4 - monster - most uphill hole on the course.
Overall reduction in length might make Par 69, CR 67 or thereabouts - maybe lower - maybe lower than 66.
17th would be a bit more reachable in two with the wind behind. Water at driving distance and second shot distance might keep it par 5.
Par 3s - I would beat myself up for not being 1-under or better for those 5 holes.

For the lasses, 1st and 8th become par 5s from W&Y and 15th becomes par 5 from Whites only - monster par 4 from Yellow.

Reds for males Par 69 and very low CR.

Whites for females Par 74 - gawd knows what CR - 76+ ?
Yellows for females Par 73 - dunno what CR - 75+ maybe.

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've had our tees completely reassessed. New colours for every tee to try to break the old associations, and the old yellows split into two different tees to give a few more options. The old whites are still rated for men only as the ladies said they were too long for them, but the old yellows (now 2 tees) and the old reds have been rated for men and women.

A thoroughly good move in my opinion.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I hope when we get re-rated that we can get rid of the traditional red, yellow and white tees....black, gold, green whatever, and rate them for both genders.

Whilst I personally wouldnt play off the current ladies tees (I'd do it just to see what it was like and what I could possibly score and have been meaning to do so on one of my evenings out) as a regular choice I could imagine some of our senior gentlemen benefitting from the option of playing from the shorter tees and there are a number of women (admittedly small) who would happily play of the current yellows.

The sooner we get gender neutral tees, the better, as far as I am concerned.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I played nine holes at my club off the reds earlier this year, because I was playing with my wife so thought why not go off the same tees? I played crap so it obviously didn't help. Some of the holes were very different though. First hole for example, a par 3, became a 9 iron instead of a wood or hybrid that it is usually. The 10th (also p3) was a mid-iron instead of a wood too. I guess it made less difference the longer the hole is though.
I left Grims Dyke over 2 years ago, but when I was there, woe betide any man who dared play off the reds.
If any of the ladies saw it, they'd come down on you like a ton of bricks: "what are you doing using OUR tees???!!!"
(This, despite the fact all three tees - white, yellow, red - are rated for both men and women).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I left Grims Dyke over 2 years ago, but when I was there, woe betide any man who dared play off the reds.
If any of the ladies saw it, they'd come down on you like a ton of bricks: "what are you doing using OUR tees???!!!"
(This, despite the fact all three tees - white, yellow, red - are rated for both men and women).
Well it was on a Friday evening so I guess none of them saw! Plus, as I said, I was playing with my wife so probably would have been clear that I was doing it for social reasons? Anyway, our club captain is female now, so surely a man can play the red tees, otherwise the equality is only working one way. 😁

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
During some of my early morning solo rounds ill,often play off the reds on a few holes....and, for me, if you hit the ball "normal " male distances you can find yourself in trouble very quickly
On some holes the hazards are only reachable by the longest of the ladies but I can reach them .
And if youre a little off line you're in the poo....
I get 8 shots off the Whites and Yellows, 7 off the Reds
Might play a full round off the reds one day.....

I realise the lower the index the smaller the diff but just one shot from back to front surprised me
We've 5 fully rated tees and my 15.2 index gives a 14 shot difference in CH from tips to the front (& a bit over 2000 yards between the two)

I play from two different adjacent sets for non comp rounds and its usually dependant on the weather which one I'll choose, with 3 shot difference in CH and 500 yards

oleinone

Visit site
My son and I make regular trips to Spain. My pro gave some very good advice. Ignore the tee colours just choose the one which most closely corresponds to the home track at c.6000 yds.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're another club who've re-rated everything for both women & men - and changed the tee colours to break the old associations. Seems to be working although not sure many men play off the Silver tees (formerly red) but plenty have moved forwards from the back to middle tees. Liewise, I know some women have started using the Gold (middle) tees so they can play a slightly longer course than they were used to. Don't know that women any are using the back (Black) tees yet - but at least it's rated for them if they want to.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We had an email off our secretary last week. Basically it was sent on by him From Golf England. It was recommendations of what tee you should play off depending on your handicap. Personally I thought it was rammel and I told him so. I honestly don’t know what the point is spending all this time money to have courses rated from Different tees. Then England golf say we think you should play from
This tee. Everyone is individual and they can decide.
For me England golf have massively muddied the waters by having multi tee comps and then giving extra shots to all. Then they give advice on what tee to use. 😳
Someone at England golf needs to give their head a wobble. The game is about enjoying it and if it means someone wants to play off whatever tee they want to, they shouldn’t feel there going against
“ recommendations”

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We had an email off our secretary last week. Basically it was sent on by him From Golf England. It was recommendations of what tee you should play off depending on your handicap. Personally I thought it was rammel and I told him so. I honestly don’t know what the point is spending all this time money to have courses rated from Different tees. Then England golf say we think you should play from
This tee. Everyone is individual and they can decide.
For me England golf have massively muddied the waters by having multi tee comps and then giving extra shots to all. Then they give advice on what tee to use. 😳
Someone at England golf needs to give their head a wobble. The game is about enjoying it and if it means someone wants to play off whatever tee they want to, they shouldn’t feel there going against
“ recommendations”
Would be interesting to see the "recommendations" Tash. Maybe add some course yardages, slopes, CR's to give the recommendation some context?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Would be interesting to see the "recommendations" Tash. Maybe add some course yardages, slopes, CR's to give the recommendation some context?
The only thing it showed was recommendations according to your handicap. Nothing else.
EG. My Hcap is 17.6 and it recommends playing off the white tees. But if you 18 plus hcap yellow tees. It seemed a bit lazy to me because it don’t take into consideration age etc.
I have only Started playing off yellows this season and our fuddle had a discussion about me playing off yellows. Some were not happy even though I dropped two shots off the fuddle hcap to allow for it. Oddly enough our fuddle did a team comp off yellows yesterday 😂
I left the odd comment or two on our what’s app group.
Just had a look and I have deleted the email but I would have thought all England golf members would have been sent it.