Front or Back 9

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was at my old club and I first joined I was so much more confident I could go lower on the front 9 but after a while I could play both quite similar unfortunately not together normally.

Now at my new club albeit it is down to the wind direction I am so much better on the front 9 and generally feel if I haven't got off to a good front 9 I will struggle to post a good score.

How do you feel about either 9 and have you adapted better.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my place it's fair to say if you don't do well on the front 9, you're pretty much donald ducked.

Makes it a 'good test' mentally too!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our front 9 is tougher and usually into the prevailing wind, holes 2,3,4 are statistically the hardest, if you can get to the 5th without to much damage , a possible good round beckons, easier said than done !

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I can score quite well on the front nine, but the back nine there are four holes which is my particular " amen corner" if I can get round them four holes with 6 points plus I have a chance of a good score. Ironically our SI 1 a 580 yd par five is the second hole on that stretch. The wind is a massive factor on them four holes.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on the wind.

Front 9 has much tougher holes so if you going into the wind I will often shoot 5 or more shots higher on the front 9 than back 9.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I first joined my club a year ago I was better on the Back 9, it was actually the first 3 holes where I was dropping shots.

In the evenings during the summer I would play 9 holes on the front 9. Now its the back 9 I am struggling on. And its actually the last 3 holes..

Our back 9 is shorter but requires more accuracy. The final hole is a very long par 4 with the wind normally pushing the ball onto the railway track. Getting a 5 is a good score.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was at my old club and I first joined I was so much more confident I could go lower on the front 9 but after a while I could play both quite similar unfortunately not together normally.

Now at my new club albeit it is down to the wind direction I am so much better on the front 9 and generally feel if I haven't got off to a good front 9 I will struggle to post a good score.

How do you feel about either 9 and have you adapted better.

You could have written this about me

D

Deleted member 16999

Tone for the whole round is set on our front 9 for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Aylesbury Park front 9 is harder than the back for me...
Not sure about The Zoo yet.....Played well on both 9s so far, just not together.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I regularly score 40 or under in comps on the front nine at ours, but struggle to follow it up on the back nine.
The back nine has the longest par 3 and longest par 5 as well as the two of the longest par 4s, all of which I struggle to hit in regulation as oppose to just one on the front nine I struggle with distance wise.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm much more confident on our front nine than the back. The front nine is more positional in my opinion and the back nine is more drivercentric. The holes are longer and straighter, which means there's more chance I'm going to make a mes of it! If I can get through 10-12 unscathed I'm usually have a decent round.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mind guru Karl Morris would be all over this thread. He cautions against thinking in 9's as he believes you mentally reset halfway. He says you should think in 3's. That way if you have a couple of early poor holes you don't have to wait until the 10th to tee to mentally reset.
That said...:D our back 9 is easier but you have to drive well over the last few holes so it's hard to finish off a good round when the nerves kick in. Plays completely differently in that regard when you start off a different hole.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Had good and bad on both. Most people would say the front 9 is easier but 10 and 11 are the easiest holes imo so horses for courses. Last hole is hardest on the course imo. Never had a birdie on it and have birdied every other hole at least twice.

I've seen HDID stats with over a 100 entrants and fewer than 10 pars or better on last hole.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At mine the back 9 is definitely where I will score better. We have a two tee start but when I'm playing it as the second 9 I've quite often gross parr'd that 9 whereas I've only done the same on the front 9 on a few occasions

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Pretty well evened out on our course, I would say. I remember a few times when I played really well on the front nine and then gave it all away on the back nine and vice versa. Three of the first four holes are very tough and usually play into wind, which can lead to quite a bumpy start. But to even things out, three of the last four holes are really mean as well, with a lot of water coming into play. So it is a difficult start and a hard finish and a bit of a walk in the park in the middle.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always play better on the front 9. The back 9 plays longer than the front and is more sloped on all holes compared to the front so I think that makes it harder for me. Also I tend if I only have time for 9 holes I'll play the front 9 all the time so have more practice on the front. This year I am going to start going out on the back 9 when time is tight to get more practice on those holes.