Favourite golf vlogger?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I really wouldn't like to play a round with Crossfield.
He's such a bad loser.
If he's not winning he appears to start mucking about & just comes across as a complete knob.

I like Sheils,Buzza,Finch & Lockey.
Not so keen on Me & My golf,they are just SO cheesy.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Crossfield for entertainment value on the vlogs, although he does wear a bit thin sometimes. Don't go a bundle on equipment reviews from any of them. PF and RS bore the pants off me, and as for Me and My Golf! What the *#** is that all about?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a soft spot for the Buzzman.

There's something wonderfully human about his ultimately hopeless quest to become a half decent putter....

Plus he seems a genuinely helpful and humble person.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
This quest for the Open that Sheils and Finch are doing at the moment is interesting.. interesting but maybe not surprising that they seemed to be struggling in the first 2 local pro comps, both with a 5 over at Shaw Hill and the Winner coming in with 6 under.
Fair play to 'em both though for putting themselves out there though.
It was also interesting that they got quite a frosty reception from the other local Pros when they rocked up at Shaw Hill with their Caddies and Cameras.
I think they're back out there at Bolton Old Links tomorrow..

As for them Qualifying for the Open..:smirk:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Agreed. Just not going to happen.

There are plenty of european tour pros who don't qualify for the open. These boys just won't cut it. For a start, they just can't putt to the required level and I don't think that's likely to change in 6 months.

Having said that, seeing how hard it is for decent players (which they are) to cut it even in the lowest level pro tournaments is interesting. It might even cut down on those 'can I turn pro even though I'm off 2' questions that pop up every now and then.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
or manufactured was probably more what I was trying to say.
Crossfield is just a bit of a knob really. He has done well for himself and it shows through his ego.

In regards to #questfortheopen.
great series.
It has got my attention massively - although I very much doubt they will be successful. I mean they have the best opportunity in the world given where they work and the facilities available but they are flat out just not good enough.
Im going to enjoy the ride though and I really do hope they prove me wrong.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crossfield used to be genuinely funny, and watchable, but he's become a caricature of himself recently. Repeating the same exhausted jokes over and over again, and acting like a child when the game isn't going his way. Coach Lockey is becoming less likeable too. The whole "Lockey Army" stuff seems to have gone to his head, and the amount he references it is borderline embarrassing. Used to love their videos, but they're barely watchable nowadays. The golf's dropped in quality too, they used to be decent players, particularly Crossfield, but not anymore, they'd get smashed by any of the other Youtube Pro's, hence why the big match is yet to happen.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a Pro, I certainly admire what these guys do as it's finding a niche in a massively overcrowded market.

The first time I saw a Crossfield video, he made some disparaging comment about other Pro's who don't do video stuff like YouTube . it put me right off him to be honest, everyone has their skills and their own way of doing things.

However I'm open minded and I didn't want to judge him so I decided to watch a load more stuff. Happy to say that my opinion changed completely, so I no longer find him irritating.

I now think he's a complete tit. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Enjoying the Shiels/Finch Quest for the Open and it's a novel thing to attempt and catalogue. Seeing how they're struggling locally it is going to be a relatively short series but fair play for taking it up and showing it to the world

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rick needs to get his putting sorted. Excellent tee-to-green. 92% GIR at Bolton Old Links in his 2nd practice round but 2.11 putts per hole. Should have definitely been under-par.

Last edited:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This quest for the Open that Sheils and Finch are doing at the moment is interesting.. interesting but maybe not surprising that they seemed to be struggling in the first 2 local pro comps, both with a 5 over at Shaw Hill and the Winner coming in with 6 under.
Fair play to 'em both though for putting themselves out there though.
It was also interesting that they got quite a frosty reception from the other local Pros when they rocked up at Shaw Hill with their Caddies and Cameras.
I think they're back out there at Bolton Old Links tomorrow..

There were a few at ours that were quietly laughing after their practise rounds were they seemed to be taking the piss for how hard the course was, then ended up 11 shots off the pace.

As for getting to The open, I personally think that they are trying to hit waaaaay out of their ball park. There is a huge difference to being a bit decent on video, teaching people and classing yourself as a pro.... and then actually being a full on playing pro. Even at the lowest levels playing week in week out those pro's are streets ahead of Sheils and Finch.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm enjoying the quest for the open, I think partly as they are taking it really seriously and working hard. They finished above half way at Shaw Hill (t23 out of 58) even though the winner was 6 under.

I've often though that for pros , from 100 yards and in they don't hit it close enough. Good luck to them though!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rick Shiels and Peter Finch are my favourites also like the American guy Gabe, goes by the persona pga tour driven or moment towards improvement.

And like many others I can't stand crossfield , he such a sore loser. And the way he talks to that rory guy on his vlogs is terrible

coxy17

Hacker
Visit site
I watch a lot of all they guys stuff on you tube.

I really like MC course vlogs, as it think it shows that golf should be played with your mates in a good manner, when not playing a comp, he's reviews are good and I am a believer that the clubs do not change that much year to year and it is mostly marketing.

Rick shields it good with his reviews as well but the best thing on his channel is rob potter the mid handicapper who reviews are really good an honest.i like the fact not all his shots are prefect and shows what a club will do with the miss hits.

Peter finch technical videos i find really useful and some of the best and the quest for the open i am find really interesting and hats off to them for trying, you can not fault any body for trying and people saying it is pointless are only jealous that they are not able to compete at that level.

Me and my golf is dull most of the time and tries to hard on the course vlogs and end up boring.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
I find Mark Crossfield intolerable, likewise his small entourage of loud, obnoxious and cliquey acquaintances.

I find Meandmygolf to be far and away the most informative although I accept that both Piers and Andy lack charisma.

It sounds as though I need to spend more time watching Peter Finch. The great thing about him is he has, like me, one of those relatable northern accents.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find Mark Crossfield intolerable, likewise his small entourage of loud, obnoxious and cliquey acquaintances.

I find Meandmygolf to be far and away the most informative although I accept that both Piers and Andy lack charisma.

It sounds as though I need to spend more time watching Peter Finch. The great thing about him is he has, like me, one of those relatable northern accents.

http://youtu.be/1tLcQqRyyes

Haven't seen these two lads before...mood swings golf

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Rick Shiels and Peter Finch are my favourites also like the American guy Gabe, goes by the persona pga tour driven or moment towards improvement.

And like many others I can't stand crossfield , he such a sore loser. And the way he talks to that rory guy on his vlogs is terrible

I think he has one of those personalities when he's on the course like Clarkson and many others where they seem to need to undermine other people in what they think is a funny way. You know, the types that justify it by saying 'it's only banter'.

It's not that nasty and would not go as far to call it bullying, but I imagine after a while if you are on the receiving end of it it can get a bit wearing to say the least.

But as those that have had a lesson with him say he's a great coach and I still think he is the best teacher out of all the golf vloggers, and the one I'd most like a lesson with. But he seems to have a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on with lessons and vlogs.