Youtube Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I like txg but I am not comparable to either of them, what is interesting is the tactics to help strike position on the head and delaying or increasing face shutting etc ...
When Matty plays right handed hes remarkably similar to, I'm guessing, the majority of people on here..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When Matty plays right handed hes remarkably similar to, I'm guessing, the majority of people on here..
He is in n the right speed zone but a little inconsistent on strike ... but yeah they could do more compares like this

D

Deleted member 25172

Interesting (well maybe not) about the "paid content" .
I dip into a cycling channel every now and then and the message is displayed clearly and often. I don't recall ever noticing one on any of the golf vids from the various tubers.
I'm a little surprised, as I can't believe they're going unrewarded.

I honestly think that most of them are free agents. The smaller channels because they're happy enough to get the clubs for free, and I'm sure they flog alot of the clubs on making a handsome penny considering the amount of sets of irons and drivers they get each year.

When it comes to someone like Rick Shiels I'm thinking that the income he's generating from doing reviews of all different club manufacturers outweighs what he'd be paid from one manufacturer for being tied up.

Without any deep knowledge, but just extrapolating the numbers that I mentioned earlier in the thread regarding James Wiltshere and how much he made from youtube.

4.2 million views in 2020 which gave him = 14k

14k / 4.2 mil = £0.0033 per view.

Rick Shiels have in the last 2 weeks had just shy of 2 million views on his club review videos only, so let's just work on the assumption that the pay is similar. That means he would've made just over £6.5k from those particular videos in 2 weeks time. I believe it'll be more though as he's got a bigger US following. On top of that he's receiving the products as well, which nowadays is typically 3 drivers from each brand, roughly £400 a pop, so he's received say around £5-6k worth of products as well. Some is surely saved, but I'd imagine that he, just like the smaller one's mentioned, sells some on as well.

Just as with everything else, money rules, so when he says that he don't want to be tied up, I think it's not the complete truth, but that he knows that the revenue made from reviewing all brands is more profitable for him.

D

Deleted member 3432

Interesting video on TXG today, they reckon when it comes to drivers this year there is absolutely nothing between 7 manufacturers.

And by nothing they mean nothing....

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
James Wiltshere posted a video yesterday about how much he made on youtube in 2020. He had just over 4 million views, giving him around £14k.

Since the 27th November, the videos Rick have posted has had 7.6 million views, and I'm fairly certain he has a bigger American audience, which pays more in ad revenue. And don't forget that the 7.6 million views don't account for his old videos that keeps racking up views every day, so I'd hazard a guess that he's had around 15 million views in the last two months.

Guy is a money making machine. :D

He is !!! From a friend who worked with him at Mere, he gets a proper wedge from Nike a year also. What to Nike is probably a pretty insignificant amount, to you and I, its a lot of cash.

In fairness, Rick Shiels really grafts. He works long days and has done really well. Mate says his head is in his phone working 24/7.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He is !!! From a friend who worked with him at Mere, he gets a proper wedge from Nike a year also. What to Nike is probably a pretty insignificant amount, to you and I, its a lot of cash.

In fairness, Rick Shiels really grafts. He works long days and has done really well. Mate says his head is in his phone working 24/7.

Spent the day with Shiels and Finch a few years back when they were really at the start of their youtube projects and toying with the idea of making it a full time venture and ditching the teaching. They had some really grandiose plans but you could see that Shiels really had a vision and a belief that he could make a go of it. He probably does get a decent retainer from Nike (probably nowhere near what the top guys get) but he has worked hard to get his 1m+ followers and build the following and viewing figures.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
As has already been mentioned, the Chasing Scratch guys are well worth a watch and if you haven't listened to the pod then do so and start from the beginning, you won't regret it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting video on TXG today, they reckon when it comes to drivers this year there is absolutely nothing between 7 manufacturers.

And by nothing they mean nothing....
Yeah I saw this as well, I think also you factor in the shaft options and whether they are free or additional and the amount of tune ability to get you to where you want. But in the end too fine tune for an amateur is a waste of time. Get me away from the toe and a lightweight shaft that feels nice and stable and I am done ... I don’t even care that much about noise. So the Mizuno looks like an option, I liked the Callaway epic max and was interested in the tsi3 ... the Ping G425 max was on the radar but I have dropped it because I don’t have the need for so much forgiveness on straightening shots out .. usually straight out into the rubbish not curling round into it ☹️. I will look at the cobra as well, I might try the Taylor made but I have never owned one of their drivers ... it’s a bit like Ferrari or Porsche one is brash and the other is engineered... ( that will set the car people off ??)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Despite an unfounded preconceived prejudice I have held against the Trilby Tour - I've watched a lot of Trilby Tour 'episodes' on Youtube from previous years and found myself actually rather enjoying it. I think that watching ordinary handicap golfers playing; messing up; and occasionally playing great shots - is acting as a surrogate for my own golf - filling a huge gap in my life created by my currently not being able to play.

4LEX

Visit site
Good Good Golf are great fun, serious players. They're coming to the UK later this year to play Shiels and Finch. I've challenged Micah to a scratch match when they're over. Fingers crossed it goes ahead (y)

eddie_1878

Visit site
Not a fan of any of them but fair play to them for being able to generate a very good living out of doing something they love.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was watching this Canadian guy coming out of Vancouver called Gabe. He was reviewing autoflex. He kept saying he had a swing speed of 127mph, then the course vlog was on and he was playing tidy, but the drives were around 250 yards. Then he was taking a 2iron to get 206yards and a 4iron to get 194 yards ... there were a few other yardages that kind suggested he would have a swing speed more around 100-104mph

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
A new NLU "Strapped" series is out. I know it's marmite to many people, but I really enjoy these trips, and Randy and Neil are my two favourite guys
Episode Three will be up later tonight - I like Randy and Neil but DJ's filming and editing skills are what make these videos. It's not easy to shoot and edit films as well as he does.