Youtube Golf

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve started watching (and enjoying) Ru Macdonalds course vlogs. He’s done a few we’re hoping to play in the summer.

Latest one I watched was Muirfield. I was expecting a love in, but that never came which was a surprise.

I had the same feelings as him, it’s a fantastic course in top condition but it didn’t blow me away either.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Been watching some of the instructional videos on TXG’s channel, found them to be very good. Seem to be less about the production, more about the quality of the info they are putting out.

Very good video on wedge fitting too, surprised how much the grind and bounce can have an effect.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been watching some of the instructional videos on TXG’s channel, found them to be very good. Seem to be less about the production, more about the quality of the info they are putting out.

Very good video on wedge fitting too, surprised how much the grind and bounce can have an effect.

I don’t see nothing wrong, with a little bounce and grind.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That said, I do like a bit of satire - but I gather this Top Bloke is just abusive? Haven’t watched, won’t watch. No interest
I have accidentally caught a few, he really isn’t that funny and he really has nothing to add. I don’t think he has a big following but he just comes across as a twit.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have accidentally caught a few, he really isn’t that funny and he really has nothing to add. I don’t think he has a big following but he just comes across as a twit.

I think he’s incredibly jealous of other golfing YouTuber’s and whilst he trolls them and pretends that he’s keeping it real without clickbait etc etc he’d swap positions in an instant. He’s not funny, content is boring and I can’t imagine he has much longevity.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think he’s incredibly jealous of other golfing YouTuber’s and whilst he trolls them and pretends that he’s keeping it real without clickbait etc etc he’d swap positions in an instant. He’s not funny, content is boring and I can’t imagine he has much longevity.
I think he has stepped over the line, with Shiels taking to Twitter to call him out.
If he added something then he would have a place.
I think there is room for someone to round up the activities but done in an informative and amusing way..

Rangers76

Visit site
I think he has added something by bringing up the blatent product placement in lots of their clips.If you notice rick click is even stating it in the pre write up .He's run by performance 54 a management company who even edit the replies in YouTube comment sections.The days of people uploading stuff for fun are long gone,these range pros are just in it for the dough (good luck to em) but let's just have some honesty on there.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think he has added something by bringing up the blatent product placement in lots of their clips.If you notice rick click is even stating it in the pre write up .He's run by performance 54 a management company who even edit the replies in YouTube comment sections.The days of people uploading stuff for fun are long gone,these range pros are just in it for the dough (good luck to em) but let's just have some honesty on there.

This is a great point. I used to be a you tube nerd and watch quite a bit of stuff. Now, maybe a bit of NLU and instructional content if I'm working on something.

For me, when a YouTube channel becomes too formal and too much like a TV channel it looses its charm. The constant need for content content content means they churn out some right rubbish. Its a fine balance.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The Top Bloke guy is very weird but in amongst a lot of rambling, he makes a couple of decent points. Crossfield saying he isn't a Youtuber, is like Lewis Hamilton saying he isn't an F1 driver. And what is this about Rick Shiels company being part owned by someone else?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Top Bloke guy is very weird but in amongst a lot of rambling, he makes a couple of decent points. Crossfield saying he isn't a Youtuber, is like Lewis Hamilton saying he isn't an F1 driver. And what is this about Rick Shiels company being part owned by someone else?

It just smacks of jealousy. From what I’ve heard on his podcast, Shiels only started the channel to try and generate more interest in his lessons, it grew to the point where sponsors and investors wanted a piece, and now it’s grown to the size it is. He’s hardly Rupert Murdoch taking over the world, he’s just a chap doing well for himself, good luck to him.

And this comes from someone who gives most of his videos a miss as they’re not my bag.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I don't blame him at all for taking outside investment, I just don't think I have ever heard him talk about it. I listen to his podcast, which is not a bad listen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't blame him at all for taking outside investment, I just don't think I have ever heard him talk about it. I listen to his podcast, which is not a bad listen.
Why would he talk about his investors on a golf channel?? Would be the boringest video he ever uploaded. :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would he talk about his investors on a golf channel?? Would be the boringest video he ever uploaded. :LOL:

I guess in the interests of openness. I am of the opinion that anyone who reviews products should be open about any potential conflicts of interest, be it sponsors, investors or anything similar. Take, of example, when a youtube presenter tests loads of gear then announces what is going in the bag for the year. That is all well and good and it is not unreasonable to interpret this as what goes in the bag is, in their mind, the best gear. Now if that presenter is, unbeknownst to the audience, sponsored to use a brand of clubs or has a manufacturer as a major funder, that then brings into question the ability of that person to be impartial. I am not saying that they would be biased but the audience should know what potential slants there are on the opinions given and be able to make their mind up. There are also strict youtube rules about having to clearly mark videos as paid promotional if there is money etc changing hands and that also comes into it.