Favourite golf vlogger?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Golf vlogging" or video logging about golf seems to have taken off over the last couple of years.

There are now quite a few coaching professionals making a bit of a name for themselves on YouTube with their own vlogging or teaching channels e.g. Mark Crossfield, meandmygolf, Peter Finch, Rick Shiels, Buzza Golf etc.

I subscribe to a few as I find some highly informative, others more for entertainment purposes. I'll confess to having a wee soft spot for Mr Crossfield as he's just a nice mix of both without being the most boring, annoying man on the planet (like many of the others, sorry chaps, just my opinion)

Anyone got their favourite and why? And can you point me in the direction of any other good ones.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like MC for the same reasons, entertainment only really.

I've been fortunate enough to have has a lesson a month for a while and find the videos giving swing tips are either very generic or rely on knowing specifically which part of your swing needs correcting in what order so in summary, are fine only if you already know what needs improving!

D

Deleted member 16999

I was lucky to meet and have a lesson with Andrew Rice, he's done a vlog with MC, really like his nature and his ability to communicate technical information in plain english (simple stupid, like me) his use of everday objects like chess pieces to explain Royalty of Shot Shape.

masterosouffle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crossfield's are the most entertaining, especially the course vlogs, Peter Finch seems the nicest guy, I really like his stuff. Rick Shiels is okay, just a bit of a tit sometimes.
Like Buzza but can't get the likeness the Jack Whitehall out of my head.
Me and my golfs is however, the most boring, tedious, utterly annoying and unentertaining videos to try and watch, and what the fcuk is up with their clothes?!?!?!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Crossfield vlogs from the course are good but his lessons are getting far more technical from what they were a year ago. His reviews are also all a bit samey and he never seems to find too much wrong with anything. Granted most manufacturers don't make duff gear but nothing wrong with having an opinion and voicing it

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
John yours were always the best mate. Ive changed my mind on this overtime i like Crossfield more now as some of the courses he has play decently have been good watching. Peter Finch has the best swing and Rick Shiels has become a right tit and very pushy.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Peter Finch's swing is indeed mightily impressive, Steve. As is Crossfield's, in my opinion. Enjoy both.

I stopped subscribing to MeandMyGolf and Rick Shiels before I started self-harming. Jeeeesusss, boys

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crossfields vlogs are the best, as well as being the most entertaining character (can sometimes overdo it but I enjoy it for the most part), he has the best 'supporting cast'.

I think I'd like Rick Shiels more than I do currently if I met him in person. Finchy comes across as very sound. I prefer Piers to Andy on meandmygolf, but I don't think either of them are as comfortable on camera as they should be.

I really enjoy Gorilla James and Harry Flower when they're actually playing golf, they're both fair weather players though and just hitting the gym over winter, but I relate to them the most as they're my age.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Peter Finch's swing is indeed mightily impressive, Steve. As is Crossfield's, in my opinion. Enjoy both.

I stopped subscribing to MeandMyGolf and Rick Shiels before I started self-harming. Jeeeesusss, boys

haha, me and my golf are annoying watched them golf and Andy is the better player by a mile. Mark Crossfield has some characters he plays with Lockey, Buzza and Pritchard, young lad is at Uni in Exeter so a wee trip down there in the summer is on the cards.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Crossfield vlogs from the course are good but his lessons are getting far more technical from what they were a year ago. His reviews are also all a bit samey and he never seems to find too much wrong with anything. Granted most manufacturers don't make duff gear but nothing wrong with having an opinion and voicing it

If you watch all MC driver reviews he hits all the drivers the same distance give or take a few yards.
It just goes to show any driver does the job you just have to learn to hit one.
That's probably why his reviews are simple and honest and not much is changing in technology.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Crossfield's course videos are the best but I've pretty much stopped watching most of the rest of his videos. Pete Finch is very watchable and I'm enjoying what he's doing recently.

Me and My Golf are hit and miss and Rick Shiels is watchable but really needs to sort his own game out as I can't take seriously a club review by a man hitting 40 yard hooks. His mate Rob Potter hits it nicer lately.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Over the winter months I have substituting playing golf with watching people play golf and being as I don't have sky I have found the MC on course vlogs really entertaining.

First and foremost I love the fact him and his playing partners seem to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. The on course banter is very entertaining and they don't seem to take themselves too seriously.

One thing I have noticed though is the standard of play. Just to be clear, I haven't played with scratch golfers or many low handicappers and I am assuming the lads featured on MC vlogs are either pro's or very low handicappers. I have found it reassuring that very good golfers also hit a lot of poor shots, drive it OOB, duff chips, three putt and miss short putts.

I currently play off 12 and have always assumed that really really good players just don't hit bad shots and are super consistent but from what I have seen this is not the case. The one thing that impressed me though is despite hitting poor shots the lads featured on the videos remain up beat and still go for their shots - something I will definitely try to take into the new season.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watch some of the MC Vlogs but only because of the quality of course they play. The man himself infuriates me, i find him so annoying, he talks like a 15year old and repeats everything 100's of times!

Not watched any of the others.

G

guest100718

The only youtube channel I subscribe to is base dreams. The golf ones are all the same old stuff, I do enjoy the so mo vids of pro swings though

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the fact that these things are subjective as it would be a boring world if we all thought the same thing.

MC - Was the first one I watched. Stopped watching his club reviews when I started shouting "just hit the thing!" at my PC. Too much faux clowning around on the course vlogs for me. I do enjoy watching his lessons though.

RS - My current favourite for reasons I could understand others not liking. Seems like an excited teenager and with a cheeky chappie face I don't think I could get annoyed at.

PF - Another I enjoy watching. Experts might say it's technically better, but I preferred his swing before he started chasing distance. Not sure the 350 project/obsession is a good example to be setting.

MAMG - Obviously know what they're talking about, but not engaging enough to make me want to watch everything rather than just pick and choose vids I think I'd like from the title.

Hats off to all of them though for the effort. I can't imagine how much time they must spend recording, editing and uploading, on top of their teaching.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
PF - Another I enjoy watching. Experts might say it's technically better, but I preferred his swing before he started chasing distance. Not sure the 350 project/obsession is a good example to be setting.

Agree with this. His swing used to be so much smoother. Hopefully once he's hit 350 he'll calm it down a bit, and go back to his old tempo. Still a lovely swing, but used to look so much smoother.