Dress codes

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Incidentally I've not actually come across a dress code regarding shirts being tucked in. Having googled the poshest clubs closest to me which includes two that have held the open . This is not stated on the websites of a course. though there is generally a statement of suitable golf attire.

I think a lot of clubs these days have adjusted dress clubs to use more generic wording

We reduced ours to make it “suitable golf attire” , think St Andrews is very similar

This though is an example of Sunningdales

IMG_7859.png

It’s very clear in their visitor area and I would expect they would hope that anyone visiting would follow those rules even if they don’t agree with them - it’s just been respectful to the club and honouring their wishes , even if someone thinks it’s out of date or silly etc - it’s still their rules

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
No, if I visited someone and they asked me to remove my shoes I would do so, I would make the assumption they wished to protect their carpet or flooring from dirt and or damage.
And yes I made the point myself that comparison of equality and dress code were not fair or equal, but thanks for pointing that out.
Nothing about the shirt tucked in has any basis of sense though; there is no logical argument that can be made for that rule being of the betterment of anything. Unlike the aforementioned shoes in someone’s house.
So yes I’d not tuck my polo in, if and when someone challenged me on that I’d explain to them that the rule doesn’t make sense and the fact it’s likely my polo wouldn’t stay fully tucked in all round and then ask them how long it would be acceptable for it to be either fully or partially untucked, if I’m taking a practice swing do I need to stop my pre shot routine to tuck it back in, then get back to me pre shot routine thus slowing things down? If it’s ok to go through the rest of my routine and hit my shot then tuck it back in, why is it ok to be untucked for say 30 seconds and not 3 hours? What is the cut off who decides this.
It is a nonsense
you and Orikuro simply have no respect for a clubs dress code.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
And to your last question, yep I think a number of rules of golf are silly and thus do not comply with them.
Putting everything out for example, stupid, so most of the time when a few inches away I just scoop my ball.
Lost ball, if I think I’ll find it and not hit a provisional, I’ll drop one down where I assume it’s lost and count that as my 3. If I notice I’m teed up an inch in front of the markers I just hit anyway. I would imagine there are a number of other rules I break regularly most of which I’m not even aware of.
so you're happy to cheat at golf?

Albo

Visit site
so you're happy to cheat at golf?
No, I am happy to play golf the way I see fit. How I play golf has no bearing on you nor anybody else, why you should take issue with the way I spend my time playing the game the way I want to play it is beyond me

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
No, I am happy to play golf the way I see fit. How I play golf has no bearing on you nor anybody else, why you should take issue with the way I spend my time playing the game the way I want to play it is beyond me
it has a bearing on others if you're cheating

Albo

Visit site
I’m guessing we are just talking about social golf etc here
Yes, there is no other kind of golf for me.
I don’t enter competition mainly on the basis of the stupidity of a lot of golf rules, and I despise playing with strangers and people take it far too seriously for what amounts to winning £30 in shop credit

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yes, there is no other kind of golf for me.
I don’t enter competition mainly on the basis of the stupidity of a lot of golf rules, and I despise playing with strangers and people take it far too seriously for what amounts to winning £30 in shop credit

And that’s more than fair enough , we all enjoy the sport in multiple different ways and there are many clubs that have members that dont play comps or have Handicaps etc

But also be aware there will be many that don’t treat comps in that way and a stranger is just someone you haven’t met yet

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you and Orikuro simply have no respect for a clubs dress code.
I can't believe I'm stepping forward to stand shoulder to shoulder with a Spurs fan, but here I am...
Berate me for not letting quicker groups through, chastise me for not repairing pitch marks and divots, despise me for not shouting 'fore'.
But tucking in a shirt? Lol.

Albo

Visit site
And that’s more than fair enough , we all enjoy the sport in multiple different ways and there are many clubs that have members that dont play comps or have Handicaps etc

But also be aware there will be many that don’t treat comps in that way and a stranger is just someone you haven’t met yet
Those are very well made points.

I actually need to try and enter some comps I just like to go about my own business hitting a ball then finding it and hitting it again, all in the name of fresh air and enjoyment (most of the time).
As for the stranger thing, I’m pretty high on the introvert scale and find it tiresome having to make polite conversation with someone for a couple of hours, I come away from a situation like that a lot more stressed and mentally exhausted, golf is my escape and decompression time.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's embarrassing that the rule still exists, and I honestly thing if the person working there is of my generation or similar, there's a good chance they will feel that way too. In which case they'd be embarrassed about having to ask people, assuming they've been told to do so.

I have no idea what 'Asbo Adam' with a snapback is supposed to represent, nor do I know why you want to bring toilets into it. :unsure: We are talking about an inch or two of material here, not life and death.

If the clubs preference is for you to tuck a shirt in, why do you feel the need to find every loop hole and excuse not to.

Asap adam, the way in which you have referred to any form of dress code implies you belong more in a skate park with a spray can rather than any form of golf club.

The toilet reference is self explanatory.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Those are very well made points.

I actually need to try and enter some comps I just like to go about my own business hitting a ball then finding it and hitting it again, all in the name of fresh air and enjoyment (most of the time).
As for the stranger thing, I’m pretty high on the introvert scale and find it tiresome having to make polite conversation with someone for a couple of hours, I come away from a situation like that a lot more stressed and mentally exhausted, golf is my escape and decompression time.
i get where you're coming from about talking to strangers but i find it easier while playing golf as you have something in common