Dress Codes

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the announcement of the new shorts dress code I was wondering if you would change any dress code rules?

For me, I feel a more relaxed dress code around the clubhouse should be implied. I think midweek times you should be able to wear denim and “21st century smart causal.”

Just my opinion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We only have dress code for on the course. These days a large part of it is 'If the item of clothing was bought in a golf shop and/or was meant to worn when playing then it is allowable' the latest in thing being multi coloured leggings for the ladies.

The clubhouse is franchised with lots of non golfing visitors so there is no dress code in there, with one exception - golf shoes should not we worn in the lounge regardless of type of sole.

D

Deleted member 16999

Each club is different, there is no correct answer to this as to what is acceptable across the board.

We are trying to encourage more juniors to the Club, when the kids are dropped off we have the bar open to allow the parents to have a tea/coffee or drink while they wait for the kids, some parents are doing this straight from work, it would be wrong imo if we insisted these parents adhere to a dress code, we want them to feel relaxed and welcoming and that the club is a safe place for the kids.

Each Club and it members should have a dress code that suits their want.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't care if someone came to play golf with me wearing a leather onesie. I find it odd that people are bothered about how people dress in the year 2019.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No dress code rules to change at my club.
Modern, forward thinking, full clubhouse.

I’d like to see that mentality across all clubs really.
But unfortunately dress code rules are still managed by the dinosaurs of yesteryear.

Any club that still retains a sock policy and the committee should be lined up and stingered at.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't care if someone came to play golf with me wearing a leather onesie. I find it odd that people are bothered about how people dress in the year 2019.

Golf shoes are common sense. If someone turns up in trainers and keeps slipping and damaging the fairway/green in the process it's just damaging the course.

DD32

Visit site
No dress code at our club

The club house is usually full of people enjoying themselves with lots of laughter.

Ive been to a few where you dare not speak for upsetting someone

I know where id sooner spend my money and spend my time

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me I completely agree with an on course dress code however a clubhouse dress code is just silly. If you play a round in the rain you can’t go into the bar because the clothes you’ve brought with you are jeans. I think it’s a stupid rule. Don’t get me wrong I don’t agree with swimming shorts and flip flops but jeans, sneakers and hoodies, polo tops or t-shirts (with no explicit logos etc) should be acceptable.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dress code on course, and some restrictions within the lounge, but stud bar slightly more relaxed. I have no problem with a dress code, and we have plenty of juniors.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For me I completely agree with an on course dress code however a clubhouse dress code is just silly. If you play a round in the rain you can’t go into the bar because the clothes you’ve brought with you are jeans. I think it’s a stupid rule. Don’t get me wrong I don’t agree with swimming shorts and flip flops but jeans, sneakers and hoodies, polo tops or t-shirts (with no explicit logos etc) should be acceptable.

I was with you till the bold bit ;)

Beachwear is a sensible no no (I guess because of the amount of flesh that may be on show and it could be soaking wet from swimming) but I've often worn flip flops after a round. In fact I have a game Saturday and if I counted I'd guess there'd be dozens of players wearing them after the golf
If the UK had more/longer summers like last year I'm sure flip flops would get approved in short order

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our club has a relatively relaxed dresscode. Jeans are not encouranged but tolerated as long as they are not torn or bleach washed. The ladies' dress code sounds a bit like it was written for a Catholic boarding school (skirts no shorter than a handwidth above the knee, tops need either sleeves or a collar, no cleavage), but since I am not the mini-skirt type myself, that's fine with me. But honestly, I really do not care what people wear, neither on the course nor in the clubhouse. I would draw the line at nudity (the only thing that should swing while playing golf is the club), but as long as all strategic bits are covered, I don't mind.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a clearly published code for on and off the course for visitors and members alike (https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/visitors/dress-code/). Still don't get what the hang up with white socks and shorts are and we have seniors who can spot a dress code violation, especially coloured socks at 400 yards and will usually cross two fairways to admonish the culprit. Fortunately they are a dying breed and a greater overall tolerance exists. Funny how the policy says no cargo trousers and how many members, especially in the winter seem to now be wearing them.

As for inside the clubhouse, it was a great idea to allow jeans (no trainers) and members are slowly feeling more comfy coming up after work for a drink especially in the summer in a nice shirt and jeans, sitting having a beer and putting cash behind the bar. If we can grow this it's good for the profit margin (and less of a subs hike)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I adhere to whatever the club wants.

End of discussion.

If the club/course I'm playing doesn't want jeans guess what I won't be turning up in. Only exception is knee length socks with shorts, I'd just simply "boycott" that course. Won't entertain that, it's easier just wearing a light cotton pair of slacks!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can feel the whole fabric of golf club society quaking at the thought of allowing people to wear anything other than what "golf" decides is the right thing to wear.
Casting the current dress codes to one side for a moment, what is the issue, apart from the possibility/probability of looking like a knob, of wearing whatever you feel comfortable wearing? Forget the rules for now, what is so offensive about someone wearing jeans or a hoodie or, shock/horror, a baseball cap worn back to front?
I don't care what people wear on the course. I just don't care.
It doesn't matter.
The only reason for dress codes is because they're in the rules. And they're only in the rules to preserve standards..
Doesn't that sound a bit elitist?
Putting in a barrier?
Most of these "standards" come from, what is really, a bygone era when you were judged, to an extent, by what you wore.
I'd wager that dress codes, these days, are there purely because it's the "way we've always done it"
Why?
Clothes are clothes. If someone wants to wear PJs and a gown to play then let them. They probably won't be able to swing very well but what are they damaging?
I'll adhere to any dress code enforced at any club I play at.
Doesn't mean I can't think of them as outdated, unnecessary and elitist.