Dress Codes - give us your views!

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think dres codes are still relevant, whilst I'm not a member the club I normally play at which is a municipal has a very lax dress code, they might object if you turned up in a vest and pe shorts but generally you can get away with a lot, I personally have always tried to adhere to what I believe is appropriate golfing attire although friends of mine have played in what could be called "scruffy", I think dress odes can give the perception that golf is formal/somewhat snobbish but I wouldn't say it puts that many people off. Jeans should be allowed in clubhouse/bar as its an informal setting and a place for relaxation. If I was designing a dress code I would say polo/collared shirt, tailored trousers and golf shoes/trainers (providing they are not brightly coloured). Finally I would say juniors under 11 should be allowed to wear what they want but from there one they should adhere to the same rules as the adults, as a junior I would expect to be treated with the same courtesy and respect an adult would, so I see no reason why we shouldn't adhere to their rules, plus it gets you n the habit of wearing proper golf attire for when we become adults :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with the normal dress code used in the majority of clubs. It's not hard to follow and with the wide range of golf clothing available these days I cant see how young people should have a problem.

What I do find a little annoying is the different standards used between Women and Men's dress codes.

Ladies can wear liner socks, Men cant.
Ladies can wear three quarter length trousers, Men cant.
Ladies can wear sleeveless tops, Men cant.
Ladies can wear their tops outside their trousers, Men cant.

How can this be acceptable in this age of equality?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It really doesn't bother me in the slightest what people wear on the çourse. I wear smart golfing attire some expensive some not. The socks thing gets my goat as the lady members can wear cropped sport sock sock but I can't! Also I have an England football shirt that would be ideal for golf very comfy with that wicking material to keep cooler in the summer. It's the basically the same as most golf shirts except it has an England badge on it. Although I saw a lady member wearing an Olympic top that was aloud yet mine is not! I sort of get the club tops with sponsorship emblazed over them so just have to accept the fact I can't wear it!

We have also relaxed the rules on jeans in the bar last year.

There does seem to be some equality issues that committee's try to avoid confrontation on especially in regard to dress codes. Women want equality which is fine, and I think should be the case but, then there are clothing situations like you mention, ankle socks, tops not tucked in, blouses with no collars or sleeves, sandals and even hats worn inside the club. It seems the ladies can have a greater degree of flexibility where all those items are concerned where as a male member would be jumped on almost immediately!

Should a dress code not be universal to all members of both genders with no variations as without that surely it only causes disharmony within the membership.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
[*]are dress codes still relevant in this day and age

Not really. It an throwback to a bygone age and class system that mostly no longer exists in modern Britain. Apart from in most golf clubs. Dress codes are mostly there to ensure everyone dresses in a similar fashion and adheres to an outdated concept of what is acceptable and what is not. However the game desperately needs to attract young people, and making them to adhere a set of rules that in the eyes of most young people are at best quaint, and at worst ridiculous and a barrier to getting involved, is doing the game no favours whatsoever.

[*]what's the policy at your club

I am not a member of a club

[*]have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club

See above

[*]have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code

Yes, my friend was made to buy white socks at an inflated price after turning up in ones that were light grey. And I was told off by a member who had walked across 2 fairways to get to me, as my (Ping) shirt had come slightly untucked from my golf trousers. And that member was wearing white socks pulled up to his knees and had a huge stomach overhanging his belt. I would say 99% of general society would have said he looked faintly ridiculous and I looked OK, and if anyone was being offensive in the sartorial stakes then it was him. But not at a golf club. And that is my opinion is a problem if golf wants to attract people to the game. The game has to move with the times and react to what is acceptable and normal in modern society.

And by the way both these incidents were at the same club. That is now in financial difficulty and struggling to attract members. Funny that.

[*]do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game

Most definitely.

[*]should jeans be allowed in the bar

Yes, it's 2013, every young person wears them. So if you want to attract young people to your clubhouse and get them spending money there then let them wear what they wear in everyday life in the bar.

[*]if you could write a dress code what would it include

Ideally for most clubs I would say anything goes. But I expect that is a step too far for most golf clubs and members. I would say people would accept some rules from the creme de la creme of golf courses, so those in the top 30 in the country. But for the majority of the rest, as long as the item of clothing is not physically damaging the course then no.

[*]would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing

I never consider going for a drink in any golf club if I am not playing it as it's not worth the hassle

[*]should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults

If adults insist on adhering to the standard dress codes that are currently in place then definitely yes. Make them feel comfortable if you want to attract them

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
i have always said if you don't want to, don't join a private members club with dress code rules,

Isn't that the problem, people are not joining, memberships are falling, people are not taking up the game, clubs are going out of business?? :confused:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Dress codes are mostly there to ensure everyone dresses in a similar fashion and adheres to an outdated concept of what is acceptable and what is not. However the game desperately needs to attract young people, and making them to adhere a set of rules that in the eyes of most young people are at best quaint, and at worst ridiculous and a barrier to getting involved, is doing the game no favours whatsoever.

Exactly the same could be said for the Rules of Golf.

Why isn't it acceptable to request players wear the "kit"..?
Why do Footballers have wear shirts and shorts, Cricketers wear white (mostly)...
Does that put people off playing those Sports?
I don't think so...
Turn up to play Footy/Cricket on a Sunday in your jeans and you'll raise the same eyebrows that would be raised if you turned up at the Golf Course wearing them
When was the last time you saw someone playing Club level Tennis in jeans?
Every Sport has it's accepted level of attire.

Now, Collar and Tie in the Clubhouse....different story and I'm with you on that one!

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Exactly the same could be said for the Rules of Golf.

Why isn't it acceptable to request players wear the "kit"..?
Why do Footballers have wear shirts and shorts, Cricketers wear white (mostly)...
Does that put people off playing those Sports?
I don't think so...
Turn up to play Footy/Cricket on a Sunday in your jeans and you'll raise the same eyebrows that would be raised if you turned up at the Golf Course wearing them
When was the last time you saw someone playing Club level Tennis in jeans?
Every Sport has it's accepted level of attire.

Now, Collar and Tie in the Clubhouse....different story and I'm with you on that one!

The comparison with football and tennis is in my opinion ridiculous. Footballers wear shorts and football shirts as it helps performance. People could play golf in jeans and in the vast majority of cases it would not hinder performance.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here we go again ;)
The old perennial is back, OK here we go.
Dress codes are relevant on the course and I believe should be firmly enforced, no jeans,footy shirts, collarless t shirts,trainers should be allowed on the course at any time for serious golfers, municipals have different client bases that are more casual so if you want to play now and again without committing to the sport than that is the place to do it.
Clubhouses should relax a bit. Smart jeans, dark wash, no rips or tears, shoes not trainers and a polo shirt/jumper is fine. Drop the need for a suit and tie in the dining room also no one gets dressed up for meat pie and veg with a bottle of cheap plonk.
Juniors should observe the same dress code and in my experience are in fact more willing to do so than some adults.
I too do not think it is too much to ask to wear probably less than the cost of two dozen quality balls for a reasonable outfit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The comparison with football and tennis is in my opinion ridiculous. Footballers wear shorts and football shirts as it helps performance. People could play golf in jeans and in the vast majority of cases it would not hinder performance.

A shirt is a shirt is a shirt.....
You could play Cricket in shorts but people don't
You could play Football in tracksuit bottoms but, apart from a Goalie on a cold day, they don't.

People could play Golf wearing nothing but they don't.

The comparison is to highlight that EVERY Sport has a dress code, every single one. There isn't a Sport that you can play at Club level and wear what you like.
Why should Golf be any different?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A shirt is a shirt is a shirt.....
You could play Cricket in shorts but people don't
You could play Football in tracksuit bottoms but, apart from a Goalie on a cold day, they don't.

People could play Golf wearing nothing but they don't.

The comparison is to highlight that EVERY Sport has a dress code, every single one. There isn't a Sport that you can play at Club level and wear what you like.
Why should Golf be any different?

Naked golf? Now there is an idea! Where would you keep your scorecard though?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

there is no performance issue you are correct. However appropriate clothing on the course covers what the consensus find acceptable. In most cases the consensus doesn't want jeans on a course.

this is probably because there is a correlation between, dress codes & how seriously you take the game. It's a generalisation but if you can't be bothered to dress properly then you will knob your way around in 150 strokes, not rake bunkers, not repair pitchmarks, shout alot and play slowly!! IMO

If you want to wear jeans, play at a muni. If you want to play a proper course dress properly. If you don't like that join a proper course, go to the AGM and table a motion to change the dress code. Staying in the sideline & preaching class war is a bit of a nonsense, and is also as outdated as some of the attitudes you rail against

The dress code on the course is really pretty lax, you can wear a multitude of styles within a framework.

an untucked shirt is a non issue & the bloke that lectured you is a knob.

golf club membership is in decline because of many reasons, not because the yoof can't wear jeans

DCB

Visit site
This'll be interesting. Bet the letter pages have a good bit of traffic after this is published ;)

Are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
Yes

What's the policy at your club
Normal Golf attire on the course, smart causal in the clubhouse.

Have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
Smart Casual adopted 12 years ago.

Have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
No, you tend to check before you go.

Do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
No. It's used an an argument against dress codes by those who don't want to conform.

Should jeans be allowed in the bar
Yes, within reason, no ripped or torn jeans.

If you could write a dress code what would it include
keep it simple and un-ambiguous with no room for maneuver for those who will try to push the bounds.

Would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
It has made a difference since we adopted it 12 years ago.

Should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
Yes, within reason. Adopting smart casual in clubhouse is not an issue.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Former Australian cultural attache Sir Les Patterson [aka Dame Edna] and a few old tramps I have seen would be good examples of someone who complies with the clubhouse dress code for many golf clubs.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm...a slightly different view...

are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
No.

what's the policy at your club
Golfing attire on the course, smart in the bar (see below)

have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
jeans (not ripped etc) have recently been permitted in the bar.

have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
no

do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
yes

should jeans be allowed in the bar
yes. And on the course

if you could write a dress code what would it include
pay your fee and wear what you want

would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
no

should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
yes, ie everyone should wear what they want

I like golf clothes and always wear them to the course. I do not own a pair of jeans. However, I can just about manage to hold onto my sherry if somebody else thinks that cargo shorts and a t shirt are cool. Frankly, there are more important things to worry about.

I see golf clubs going under, struggling to make ends meet and then making the first contact with a new member or guest all about what he or she can and cannot wear in the bar or on the course. It seems obvious to me that clubs need to be welcoming to all, to turn a nascent interest into revenue.

I belong to a members club and as such, I will respect and abide by the rules agreed by that membership, but I personally would do all that I could to make the game more welcoming, informal and approachable.

The reason people aren't joining golf clubs isn't because there is a dress code.

steveh

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm with the majority for on the course, nothing wrong with trousers and polo shirt and as others have said, I quite like having to dress a certain way. On top of that, it's the most practical clothing for the game anyway, who wants to spend hours walking round a wet field in a pair of soggy jeans anyway?

The shorts issue is the one problem for me - I've never dared to wear shorts on a golf course as its never clear to me what's permissible in terms of both the type of shorts and type of socks worn!

I don't tend to frequent our clubhouse, partly because of time (I generally need to be home soon after the round finishes) but partly due to dress code. I have suit trousers I wear for work, a pair of chinos and multiple pairs of jeans. So I can't see the point changing once to go into the clubhouse and again when I get home. If I could go in the clubhouse in golf gear then I might be tempted but I'm generally spattered with mud by the time I've finished

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
However the game desperately needs to attract young people, and making them to adhere a set of rules that in the eyes of most young people are at best quaint, and at worst ridiculous and a barrier to getting involved, is doing the game no favours whatsoever.

Heaven forbid the young generation should have to adhere to rules. What are we thinking? Golf club dress codes are in the main not that strict. A pair of trousers and a polo shirt does it. Granted, you need some shoes but which sport at club level doesn't require the appropriate footwear?

Akie

Head Pro
Visit site
Heaven forbid the young generation should have to adhere to rules. What are we thinking? Golf club dress codes are in the main not that strict. A pair of trousers and a polo shirt does it. Granted, you need some shoes but which sport at club level doesn't require the appropriate footwear?

I agree with this, 99% of clubs aren't that strict they just want you to look reasonably smart on the course and in the club house. It's not like they're asking for top hat and tails.

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site

Running. Believe me I have seen people knock out 26.2 miles in some strange footwear.
As for Dress Codes I tow the line and dress how my club expects and I don't mind it. I did belong to a club (State level Open course)that did not enforce dress codes and there were a few members wearing jeans. I thought it was odd at first but realised it was me who had the issue not the people wearing what they felt comfortable in. Over time I became less uptight about it and really don;t care what people wear as long as they are behaving themselves and treating the course with respect. I think people equate dressing smart to behaviour or class maybe. I do not.