Dress Codes - give us your views!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm fine with dress codes but I wish one of the big brands would bring out some decent shorts as I can't bare trousers in the summer and most of the shorts available are crap. If you can now wear football boots with spikes on (Adizero) then surely a more relaxed short should be ok!!!

:sbox:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess as with most its trousers/shorts (inc chino’s but not denim) polo shirt & footwear designed for golf when on the course

Off the course I think the dress code should only be aligned to the time of day rather than the locations such as lounge or bar etc. During the day most things should be acceptable throughout (no beachwear, football/rugby tops) with a change to a smart casual dress code in the evening (say after 6pm) and bespoke functions would carry their own dress code where formal or collar/tie may be required

Not sure but remembering other threads on this topic the more contentious aspect seems to do with the clubhouse dress codes rather than the on course dress code (more minor points such as sock length etc) so maybe the question of golfing dress code is distorted by the importance & role of the clubhouse at each course (excluding the required changing/starter facilities)

And I’d be in favour of banning metal spikes on & off the course (does this come under dress code!)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am all in favour of a dress code for the course. Trousers, polo shirt and golf shoes is all it needs to be.

In the bar is a different matter. My club still has a no jeans and no trainers rule and that frustrates me. If I am passing the club and want to drop in for a beer or a bite to eat then I generally cannot as I tend to be wearing jeans and converse boots. My wife never goes to the club when I am up there because she has jeans or work trousers and nothing inbetween. She always looks smart but is not going to change out of her jeans to nip up for a quick sandwich. Allow a more relaxed dress code and the club wqill get more custom, I am almost certain.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am quite happy with a dress code, if people are dressed smartly then they ought to treat the course well.

My club's dress code seems to be pretty standard.

I do think a few things could be eased, mens knee length white socks seems a bit harsh, certainly ladies codes are a lot less restrictive than mens, for example I can wear cropped trousers with ankle socks but men cant wear somthing equivalent.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[*]are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
yes absolutely. There is enough choice in proper golf attire these days without the need to come dressed straight from the pub. If you play tennis at a club, you have a dress code, same for cricket, why should golf be different?

[*]what's the policy at your club
Golf attire on the course, jeans are as of a few months ago allowed in the bar although I'm not sure I've seen anyone wearing them

[*]have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
Jeans now allowed in clubhouse

[*]have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
nope

[*]do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
no, it only puts people off who want to moan about golf

[*]should jeans be allowed in the bar
personally I don't see the need but if they must then fine

[*]if you could write a dress code what would it include
don't see the need to change it from what it is now

[*]would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
probably not

[*]should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
yes, as I said above, there is enough stylish clothing to keep the kids happy

adiemel

Head Pro
Visit site
I am all for a dress code on the course. If you play other sports you are expected to wear the correct gear. As other have said you can pick up golf trousers and tops and shoes cheaply enough from sports direct.
I think club houses could relax rules a little, but agree with no hats and caps in club houses. A relaxed dress code may encourge more use of club houses.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I am 'Lucky enough' to win the Loudmouth comp, I doubt that they would ever see the light of day and certainly not at my home club. Dress codes are important, should be the same for all and apply both on & off the course.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm another one who don't mind the dress code that some clubs set in place BUT what is the deal with having to wear a suit in the club house. This isn't the 1930's when everyone whore suits as second nature. I only have one blazer and tie and find it a pain in the butt when I'm required to wear it when I feel I'm just as smart wearing a pair on decent jeans and a shirt also I find being a young dad and only playing on a weekend the family will be waiting for me after the game for our day out and I want to feel smart casual not suited and booted.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
we have recently relaxed the 'no jeans' in the bar area at weekends to reflect visiting family groups associated with junior events; it's not the end of the world!

other than that we retain the relative standard 'core' dress code on and off the course - without specifing the socks to be worn with shorts! this is probably my biggest bugbear with dress codes I encounter through the season - I will always carry short white socks, but I'm not a school girl and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the wide range of shoe, and shorts, colours worn! The requirement for long socks makes more sense, but seems more associated with 'yester-year'. Again it's not a problem as I have aquired a large supply that are used for absolutely nothing else!

As to clubhouse dress codes, deliver me an environment worthy of the required dress code and we are all happy; it's a natural, mutual, respect. Rye would probably represent the best example I have of a strick regieme that just seems 'right'.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think people should be at liberty to wear what they want. I know of no good reason why we should have rules on what people have to wear on a golf course. If the majority want to wear polo shirts and trousers, they should be free to do that. If they think it is in some way wrong that others choose to wear jeans and a rugby top, then they should have a word with themselves. IMO.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quite satisfied with trousers and a polo on the course, as that is what I have always known and worn.

My home course has a fairly large percentage of vets, and they will always gather the majority at AGM's to shout down any changes in regards to wearing jeans/casual clothing. Now I am not a fan of seeing jeans on the course, but would like to pop in for a drink some days in casual wear. The club did have a trial and to be honest I do not know the outcome was.

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hmmmm...a slightly different view...

are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
No.

what's the policy at your club
Golfing attire on the course, smart in the bar (see below)

have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
jeans (not ripped etc) have recently been permitted in the bar.

have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
no

do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
yes

should jeans be allowed in the bar
yes. And on the course

if you could write a dress code what would it include
pay your fee and wear what you want

would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
no

should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
yes, ie everyone should wear what they want

I like golf clothes and always wear them to the course. I do not own a pair of jeans. However, I can just about manage to hold onto my sherry if somebody else thinks that cargo shorts and a t shirt are cool. Frankly, there are more important things to worry about.

I see golf clubs going under, struggling to make ends meet and then making the first contact with a new member or guest all about what he or she can and cannot wear in the bar or on the course. It seems obvious to me that clubs need to be welcoming to all, to turn a nascent interest into revenue.

I belong to a members club and as such, I will respect and abide by the rules agreed by that membership, but I personally would do all that I could to make the game more welcoming, informal and approachable.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chefs trousers are allowed on the course but not jeans.....where is the logic of that.
Making grown men wear stockings is just plain perverted.

As for the traditionalists...well my grandfather used to play in hobnailed boots and a 3 piece tweed suit.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf still has a very out dated image based on the original attire that was typically worn

Every year we push the boundaries to a new limit

My answer is modify it to smart casual and leave it like that, even jeans, cargo pants, etc etc and lose many of the old school rules which do not seem to apply in todays world.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't wear jeans to play golf or any other sport. Same with chinos, then again I wouldn't wear chinos off the course either, hideous things in my opinion. As plenty have said you can pick up decent quality golf clothing for not too much money.

However it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to wear jeans or walking trousers, it is their choice.

I can see why football tops are not allowed as the can cause trouble.

The only thing that would annoy me is footwear that could damage the course, especially the greens.

If a private club has rules of "traditional" (that misused word that usually refers to the traditions of the 1950's) golf attire on course and jackets and tie in the clubhouse then you would know this before joining. Personally I wouldn't join such a club.

Any dress codes should be across the board for male, female and junior gofers. Most juniors I know love wearing adidas and Nike anyway so don't see it as a problem. The worst "offenders" are the lady golfers but if they are comfortable wearing what they do then that is fine by me.

I was once told to tuck my shirt in when I was a guest at a course by a member who's trousers were at least two sizes too small. I ad to laugh but that was the local "rule"

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sensible dress code , A new member his wife and their 2 toddler kids arrived for lunch at my club , only to be told the kids couldn't get in because they had denim suits on. How crazy can you get , Its changed now but that was only a few years ago .

ps. as they left , the kids ran out and started to play in the 18th greenside bunker. good on them to.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with not allowing football shirts but then I wouldn't allow anyone over the age of 14 who isn't actually playing football to wear one anywhere.

On the course, I'm in favour of collared shirts (polo shirts) and trousers. Cargo trousers are ok, I think, unless they're the camouflage ones. I'd also ban men from wearing shorts. Irrational, personal bugbear but I can't stand seeing grown men in tailored shorts.

Off the course, I can't see why you wouldn't allow jeans or trainers in the bar. No spikes, fair enough.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all
we are about to compile a big feature on dress codes for a forthcoming issue. Essentially it'll be a big 'GM asks...' feature with the question being something like "are dress codes holding back the game'

I know it's a topic everyone has an opnion on and we would really like to hear your views. The sort of thing we'd be keen to hear about and see discusssed on this thread are...

• are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
    Yes - most other sports have a "uniform" or dress code of some kind. We're lucky enough to have probably the widest choice of any sport
  • what's the policy at your club
    Golf attire only on the course. No jeans or collarless shirts. Shirts tucked in. No dirty or wet gear in clubhouse. Smart casual in clubhouse - jeans allowed but not in the lounge/dining room.
  • have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
    Allowing jeans in clubhouse is fairly new.
  • have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code.
    Got pulled up for wearing the wrong colour of red top at Wimbledon Common - but that is a particularly specific rule.
  • do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
    No - not really. What's allowable under smart casual covers a heck of a range and should includesomething for nearly everyone
  • should jeans be allowed in the bar
    In my view no, but they are and I can live with it. Just don't see the apparent compulsion to wear them?
  • if you could write a dress code what would it include
    The important thing is that it needs to reflect the views of the membership. Ours is quite reasonable I think and seems to suit everyone. I don't think many want want to relax it more than it already is.
  • would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
    No. Would not want to dress any more casual than I currently do - and it's well within our code.
  • should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
    The code should apply to all golfers - so junior members should be included to engender the same ethos. Although younger "guests" ie kiddies brought all with ma & da shouldn't be included. (more important that they are not making a racket...)

We may add some poll questions as the thread develops
Let the debate begin!

as above

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It really doesn't bother me in the slightest what people wear on the çourse. I wear smart golfing attire some expensive some not. The socks thing gets my goat as the lady members can wear cropped sport sock sock but I can't! Also I have an England football shirt that would be ideal for golf very comfy with that wicking material to keep cooler in the summer. It's the basically the same as most golf shirts except it has an England badge on it. Although I saw a lady member wearing an Olympic top that was aloud yet mine is not! I sort of get the club tops with sponsorship emblazed over them so just have to accept the fact I can't wear it!

We have also relaxed the rules on jeans in the bar last year.