Dress Code Question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not being funny but do a lot of people bring two sets of clothes to golf?? I've rarely ever felt the need to get changes into t-shirt/jeans/whatever after playing, I just walk straight from the 18th into the clubhouse and have a pint. I've found it strange the number of people in this topic saying their club is starting to allow jeans in the clubhouse only, as that implies a lot of people are getting changed.

I'm sure most people are the same after a round of golf, but where it helps is if I'm on my way home from shopping / work / whatever and have jeans on, I can pop into the club for a drink or some food.
If I had to go home to change before the clubhouse lets me in I'd be eating somewhere else.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure most people are the same after a round of golf, but where it helps is if I'm on my way home from shopping / work / whatever and have jeans on, I can pop into the club for a drink or some food.
If I had to go home to change before the clubhouse lets me in I'd be eating somewhere else.
Oh fair enough. I don't really visit my golf club other than to play so I didn't think of that. I don't even know what their rule is on jeans in the clubhouse actually. I did go there once when not playing, to meet the club secretary and talk about the membership and whatnot, and I actually wore jeans then without even thinking about it, and he didn't say anything, so I guess it's not a problem there.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's raining or likely to during my round (and I think about it ahead of time), I put a spare pair of trousers in the car to change into before going to the bar. Don't like being in the bar with muddy trousers on, just doesn't feel right to me.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The issue I have with dress codes is what else will people want to do away with? It becomes a downward spiral of diminishing standards.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not being funny but do a lot of people bring two sets of clothes to golf?? I've rarely ever felt the need to get changes into t-shirt/jeans/whatever after playing, I just walk straight from the 18th into the clubhouse and have a pint. I've found it strange the number of people in this topic saying their club is starting to allow jeans in the clubhouse only, as that implies a lot of people are getting changed.

Generally have a shower after playing 18 so always bring a change of clothes for using the bar etc

edit: although dress codes are more informal so pretty much anything goes except beachwear (but sandals/flip flop shoes are fine)

Last edited:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yea I'll shower after golf so will have a pair of jeans or shorts and a fresh top ready to put on. Don't like hanging around without showering after really. If it's hot, shorts t shirt or polo and flip flops are the order of the day and sit outside in the sun with a drink.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
although dress codes are more informal so pretty much anything goes except beachwear (but sandals/flip flop shoes are fine)

Sandals are not fine, not anywhere ever, especially not with socks and not in daylight and not if you are under 80 or over 5. ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea I'll shower after golf so will have a pair of jeans or shorts and a fresh top ready to put on. Don't like hanging around without showering after really. If it's hot, shorts t shirt or polo and flip flops are the order of the day and sit outside in the sun with a drink.
I tend not to sweat too much at golf I guess - unless it's like 30 degrees out, which it rarely ever is. Even if it is hot we'll just sit outside anyway, only popping in to buy the drinks.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am surprised cargo shorts are not allowed. They are very practical and look smart. Stupid snobbery or a real reason not to allow them?

Here in AZ when its 110 tucking in your shirt just makes you very hot and sweaty. Nothing wrong with it tucked out, imo.

We can wear cargo shorts at our place and have our shirts out - it does get upto 35-40 degrees in the summer like. Shirts need a collar on still

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
Whether you agree with it or not, if there is a dress code then you should stick to it

I went to a particular club once for a round wearing a pair of cargo shorts and asked if they were okay but I also had another pair of shorts in the car that I could have changed in to if the club had said no, but they were happy for me to wear them

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whether you agree with it or not, if there is a dress code then you should stick to it

I went to a particular club once for a round wearing a pair of cargo shorts and asked if they were okay but I also had another pair of shorts in the car that I could have changed in to if the club had said no, but they were happy for me to wear them

I think that is the most sensible approach

if in doubt ask and obviously you would rather wear the cargo for practicality so no harm

its funny though no matter how posh the club none have had or can really have issue with proper "loud" trousers lol but if the pocket is in the wrong place lol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

if in doubt ask and obviously you would rather wear the cargo for practicality so no harm

its funny though no matter how posh the club none have had or can really have issue with proper "loud" trousers lol but if the pocket is in the wrong place lol

My place is like this. No cargos allowed, but the most ridiculous, loud and visually distracting shorts OK.

I'm not sure what it is with cargo shorts - is it because in some folks mind they have some subconscious link with a tradesman...dungarees with lots of pockets for carting their tools about.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I take the opposing view to this. I'm happy to push the boundaries as I believe it's the only way to make a change happen. And whilst in your situation I would likely have another pair of shorts to put on I certainly wouldn't have asked if the cargo ones were ok. I would wait for someone to say something to me first. Then we could have a discussion and if there was no reasoning then I would change. All very pleasant and polite. There's a saying which says it's far better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. This would be one of those occasions.

D

Deleted member 15344

I take the opposing view to this. I'm happy to push the boundaries as I believe it's the only way to make a change happen. And whilst in your situation I would likely have another pair of shorts to put on I certainly wouldn't have asked if the cargo ones were ok. I would wait for someone to say something to me first. Then we could have a discussion and if there was no reasoning then I would change. All very pleasant and polite. There's a saying which says it's far better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. This would be one of those occasions.

Would you not just respect the dress code of the club ? And if unsure your dress is ok then surely the polite respectful way to go is to first ask/check

Anytime I go to a course I check the dress code and then abide by it - for me that's more respectful than pushing barriers and waiting to be told

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agreed.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would you not just respect the dress code of the club ? And if unsure your dress is ok then surely the polite respectful way to go is to first ask/check

Anytime I go to a course I check the dress code and then abide by it - for me that's more respectful than pushing barriers and waiting to be told
As I said, I'm happy to take the opposite approach. I won't ask permission but will change if required after pleasant discussion. Just a different approach is all, I don't condemn yours, it's also fine so you're good 😉

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said, I'm happy to take the opposite approach. I won't ask permission but will change if required after pleasant discussion. Just a different approach is all, I don't condemn yours, it's also fine so you're good 😉

i understand what you're saying. but are we talking cargo shorts, ankle socks and untucked tee-shirts? or a round neck t-shirt and jeans. personally I wouldn't have to balls to turn up to a new club in a round neck t-shirt.