Dress Code Question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you don't like a dress code, play where there isn't one. Simples.

Where there is a dress code, it should be respected in the same way as other aspects of the game of golf.

thats not what i said. i simply asked you why you feel someone has to make an effort and what impact does it have on you?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At the time Tiger wore that top our club had a major issue between those who wanted to wear them and those against. I was on committee at the time and I remember they were called Turtle Kneck and we were told that the definition of Turtle kneck was a t shirt with a collar - we therefore approved them?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
why does someone need to make an effort? what does it matter what someone else is wearing?

Because in certain clubs it does. People make an effort to dress appropriately for

Work
Weddings
Funerals
Dinner
Cricket
Bowls
Swimming

Etc etc etc, golf is no different

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because in certain clubs it does. People make an effort to dress appropriately for

Work
Weddings
Funerals
Dinner
Cricket
Bowls
Swimming

Etc etc etc, golf is no different

right I'll try at again. what does it matter to you if the bloke on the next fairway is wearing jeans? how does it impact on you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's one of those enduring issues with golf clubs. Some are stuck in the 1970's and everything has to be just so and others are more in tune with modern golf fashion and the changing pace of life. My club is trialling jeans in the clubhouse and the walls haven't fallen down yet!! My take is very simple. Most golf clubs have a published dress code that you can refer to (especially as a visitor) and I would expect to adhere to that if I was a member (or playing there). If you don't want to stick with it, whether that includes round collars or not, then comply or don't play there. Very simple. Clubs aren't going to change, at least not very quickly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agreed.

And the old boys in the club house aren't the future of our golf clubs. The stuffy image of golf is what's behind less young members joining.
Is it really what's behind less young members ? I'm guessing there is stats to back up statements like that

During Open days and junior camps not once have i heard anyone say the dress code is stopping them playing golf - from what I have seen and heard the juniors and young kids don't have a problem dressing the same way as the pros

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is it really what's behind less young members ? I'm guessing there is stats to back up statements like that

During Open days and junior camps not once have i heard anyone say the dress code is stopping them playing golf - from what I have seen and heard the juniors and young kids don't have a problem dressing the same way as the pros

The image of golf. Of which only part is a dress code.

I love golf and there's still clubs where the atmosphere puts me off going back..

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed.

And the old boys in the club house aren't the future of our golf clubs. The stuffy image of golf is what's behind less young members joining.

Sadly, I think that left to the young players, many clubs will fail unless they can find an alternative and successful business model based on low membership numbers. If there were hoards of younger players joining clubs, standing for key positions and taking on the responsibility of running of the game of golf, then the old boys would have to suck it up and move on.

As it is, I'm unfortunately not seeing many young people coming forward to run any aspect of golf, i.e. organising competitions, taking on a role on the committee, etc. Many it seems, don't join clubs in the first place preferring to pay and play instead, wish to turn up, play and p!ss off, so not even supporting the clubhouse. Then moan about how the game is being run by old duffers... which sadly of course it is.

To answer the question (@hovis) on how does the way someone else dress affect me. Short answer is it doesn't beyond the clear lack of respect for the etiquette of the game, which IMHO is one of the pillars of golf. Where there no dress code, then so be it, wear whatever. Where there is a dress code, respect it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Golf club etiquette typically requires a reasonable dress code on the course and in the clubhouse. Some clubs are more anal than others, extending dress code to the car park being a good example of over doing the dress code thing.

Anyone not wishing to at least make an effort to meet a particular club's dress code, should not be surprised when (other) members and officials grumble.

I don't understand why some people insist on dragging everything down to the base level in the name of making things 'fair'.

"I'm not allowed to wear my hat in the bar! It's not fair!"
"I'm not allowed to play in cargo pants! It's not fair!"
"I can't play in a tee shirt! It's not fair!"
Etc.

So while many spend a fortune on the latest clubs, Galvin's and other gear, they have no money for some polo shirts, trousers and shorts? BS! They just can't be bothered to make an effort to dress properly, even though they are fully aware of the dress code.

.... Gets down off soapbox... :(

This for me 👍

Pin-seeker

Visit site

But surely if they're playing junior comps and attending open days it's obvious that dress code isn't stopping them playing golf,they're actually playing golf :rolleyes:

I'm guessing he was talking about potential young members put off :thup:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine the reasons that are stopping kids from getting Into golf/joining a club etc are the same reasons that are stopping them from getting into all the Other Sports that are currently in Decline.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I have no problem wearing trousers & a polo,jumper etc.
But when shorts with pockets on the side aren't allowed,or you have to wear white socks??
Sorry but I'm not wearing white socks for anyone.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
right I'll try at again. what does it matter to you if the bloke on the next fairway is wearing jeans? how does it impact on you?

If you would have asked that question the first time you would have got a different answer

It matters to me because it's against the dress code of my club.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't mind the dress code of golf on the course, always have a collared shirt (hardly own any t shirt style shirts anyways think they look awful)

The cargo pockets on shorts would be blooming useful for carrying stuff in the summer when you don't have a jacket! But them are the rules

I like they have mellowed on the trainer style shoes as I suffer from planter facittis so makes it so much easier to play

Jeans in a club house wouldn't be a bad change personally but never on the course

Only rule I can't stand is "no changing in the car park" when it applies to shoes

I just sit in my car and change them lol just makes things easier!

Just once have I seen someone pulled for golf attire my mate was made to buy socks as his were the wrong colour when wearing shorts? That was a bit petty but was way the pro kicked off was a bit OTT

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
As golf ever been appealing to youngsters really?

I don't think it has.

I think most Golfers kind of stumble into it really, it isn't the kind of sport that people aspire to play as its pretty boring to watch.

Maybe for another thread... But has anyone got into golf
begrudgingly as they weren't happy about Dress Codes etc.

It's never bothered me. I started at 27 and i've been playing 17 years.
In that time Theres always been pretty cool golf clothing available.
Reading some of the posts on here over the years you'd think as Golfers we were all being forced to Drive a Cortina and Dress like Alan Partridge.

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The dress codes at clubs has nothing to do with young player participation.

Any kid involved in any sport is desperate to wear the accociated 'uniform'

New football kits, new rugby kits, riding gear, tennis gear, netball gear etc etc

As a kid I'd chose to play a sport simply so I could wear the gear and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Wearing the kit is part of the fun. Half an interest in golf and they will want to look like Rory or DJ etc

I imagine however a ferocious enforcing of the rules and lambasting of young members has more to do with it.

Being treated like a child by older more cantankerous old farts will be far more off putting that having to wear a polo.

Getting shouted at for a slight mistake around the rules or etiquette would have certainly had me sticking the fingers up and never coming back as a kid.

Sadly, stuff like this is rife at a LOT of clubs by certain types

Nurturing and tutoring is far more likely to see a longer participation that a stern rollicking everyday of the week.

That and the relatively high cost of golf.