Dress Code Question

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The dress codes at clubs has nothing to do with young player participation.

Any kid involved in any sport is desperate to wear the accociated 'uniform'

New football kits, new rugby kits, riding gear, tennis gear, netball gear etc etc

As a kid I'd chose to play a sport simply so I could wear the gear and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Wearing the kit is part of the fun. Half an interest in golf and they will want to look like Rory or DJ etc

I imagine however a ferocious enforcing of the rules and lambasting of young members has more to do with it.

Being treated like a child by older more cantankerous old farts will be far more off putting that having to wear a polo.

Getting shouted at for a slight mistake around the rules or etiquette would have certainly had me sticking the fingers up and never coming back as a kid.

Sadly, stuff like this is rife at a LOT of clubs by certain types

Nurturing and tutoring is far more likely to see a longer participation that a stern rollicking everyday of the week.

That and the relatively high cost of golf.

Spot on.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been to a golf course (if you could call it that) where not only jeans are acceptable, but I have seen people play in wellies and in bare feet. I'm all for some type of restrictions, but some of the policies of certain clubs would concern me. A little (reasonable) flexibility is not a bad thing. I wear only golf clothes (as I like the designs and material for paying in) on the course, but will never forget when I was told that I would have to 'tuck my golf shirt in' to play. It was in but part of it came out when practicing before a round. There is sensibility and then there is........

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't mind the dress code of golf on the course, always have a collared shirt (hardly own any t shirt style shirts anyways think they look awful)

The cargo pockets on shorts would be blooming useful for carrying stuff in the summer when you don't have a jacket! But them are the rules

I like they have mellowed on the trainer style shoes as I suffer from planter facittis so makes it so much easier to play

Jeans in a club house wouldn't be a bad change personally but never on the course

Only rule I can't stand is "no changing in the car park" when it applies to shoes

I just sit in my car and change them lol just makes things easier!

Just once have I seen someone pulled for golf attire my mate was made to buy socks as his were the wrong colour when wearing shorts? That was a bit petty but was way the pro kicked off was a bit OTT

I feel this is usually less about preserving the look or standard of the club and more about luring you towards the bar.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I am surprised cargo shorts are not allowed. They are very practical and look smart. Stupid snobbery or a real reason not to allow them?

Here in AZ when its 110 tucking in your shirt just makes you very hot and sweaty. Nothing wrong with it tucked out, imo.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club relaxed its dress code a few years ago. Now smart jeans and trainers are allowed in the club, but 'normal' golf attire on the course. When I interview new members and explain this, nobody bats an eyelid and all agree.
In my experience 20+yo members put me to shame in the smartness of their attire on the course. There is enough choice out there for everyone to be individual whilst sticking to the rules. Short socks are allowed, I personally think cargo shorts look scruffy but that's just my opinion.
As a result I feel our club is more relaxed but still maintains a reasonable dress code.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not having a go at the clubs involved but in the first couple of pages on this thread we have one club piloting jeans in the clubhouse and another trialing jeans

I'm curious what form this pilot/trial takes, what outcomes/results are expected, what could happen to make the trial/pilot period fail, how will the committee measure if its been a success?

I'd have thought if they want to a club just changes a dress-code to permit jeans and that's it. If they want to ban them in future its just another change surely!

The fact that a pilot scheme or trial period is even needed says how serious an issue jeans are for some clubs I guess

edit: also why is it so often refereed to as 'relaxed' the dress code rather than 'changed' the dress code
'Relaxed' in this context suggests its a lowering of standards. Are jeans a lower standard of clothing compared to say chinos & if so in what way?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I feel this is usually less about preserving the look or standard of the club and more about luring you towards the bar.

At The Zoo, they are very open about the "no changing shoes in the car park" rule..
It's not necessarily to get you into the bar, more getting you into the changing rooms where most of the notice boards are...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the time Tiger wore that top our club had a major issue between those who wanted to wear them and those against. I was on committee at the time and I remember they were called Turtle Kneck and we were told that the definition of Turtle kneck was a t shirt with a collar - we therefore approved them?

Turtle neck tee shirts are hardly new.....they were popular in the late 60's early 70's.

You could say that they are 'traditional'.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a course a couple of summers ago and a guy was playing in a pair of speedos and flip flops with a can of special brew in his hand and plenty more in his pull trolley.....
had to have a double take....

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a course a couple of summers ago and a guy was playing in a pair of speedos and flip flops with a can of special brew in his hand and plenty more in his pull trolley.....
had to have a double take....

Was this an obligatory part of the dress code Karl?

Think I'd be banned pretty quickly with my cans of lemonade!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sadly, I think that left to the young players, many clubs will fail unless they can find an alternative and successful business model based on low membership numbers. If there were hoards of younger players joining clubs, standing for key positions and taking on the responsibility of running of the game of golf, then the old boys would have to suck it up and move on.

As it is, I'm unfortunately not seeing many young people coming forward to run any aspect of golf, i.e. organising competitions, taking on a role on the committee, etc. Many it seems, don't join clubs in the first place preferring to pay and play instead, wish to turn up, play and p!ss off, so not even supporting the clubhouse. Then moan about how the game is being run by old duffers... which sadly of course it is.

To answer the question (@hovis) on how does the way someone else dress affect me. Short answer is it doesn't beyond the clear lack of respect for the etiquette of the game, which IMHO is one of the pillars of golf. Where there no dress code, then so be it, wear whatever. Where there is a dress code, respect it.
I don't think dress code is anything to do with lower membership numbers for younger players - it has to be price, and price alone for me. My club membership is £100 a year, plus you pay for your green fees as and when you play. If it was £1000+ for a year's membership though, like most places, I never would have gone for it. Most people in their 20s and early 30s don't really have that sort of disposable income.

Dress code doesn't come into it really. Most people own a polo neck t-shirt and chinos I would have thought. I've never bought a specific 'golf' item of clothing in my life, I just wear things like Ralph Lauren polos and regular chinos from high street stores. It's not difficult really.

D

Deleted member 15344

I like dress codes in golf - for me they just give a little bit of a standard and respect.

Ours isnt that restricted- no need for knee length socks etc but clean golfing attire is required , it's not hard to ask that as most have a polo shirt and trousers or shorts.

Cargo shorts just like untidy for me but some golf manufacturers are starting to produce them so we do allow those type but not the hard wearing ones.

Whenever I go to a club I'll respect whatever dress code they require - it's not a hardship , and if someone turns up at our place without the correct dress code they will be asked to change etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like dress codes in golf - for me they just give a little bit of a standard and respect.

Ours isnt that restricted- no need for knee length socks etc but clean golfing attire is required , it's not hard to ask that as most have a polo shirt and trousers or shorts.

Cargo shorts just like untidy for me but some golf manufacturers are starting to produce them so we do allow those type but not the hard wearing ones.

Whenever I go to a club I'll respect whatever dress code they require - it's not a hardship , and if someone turns up at our place without the correct dress code they will be asked to change etc.
I agree. A simple dress code is preferable I think - just making sure you wear a collared shirt and trousers rather than jeans. I wouldn't want to see people going round in vests and bermuda shorts or what-have-you. But similarly some places go too far and are a bit too officious with it - i.e. telling people to remove their hats in the clubhouse, and change shoes in the changing room only, and what colour of socks to wear is going too far for me.

I don't think my own club is that strict on it - the same mate I described in the first post, the other week he stood on the tenth tee (by the clubhouse) having a chat with the club secretary while wearing a round neck t-shirt and trainers, and the club sec didn't say a word anyway! Regardless of club rules though, I'll always wear a polo neck, as dressing the part is all part of golf for me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
At the course where I play most of my golf, the ONLY dress code for the course is 'Golf Shoes (no metal spikes)'.

There is no dress code for the clubhouse! I haven't seen anyone wearing anything likely to cause eyebrows to be raised - though some of the kit worn at some of the weddings the club services have been memorable :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the course where I play most of my golf, the ONLY dress code for the course is 'Golf Shoes (no metal spikes)'.

There is no dress code for the clubhouse! I haven't seen anyone wearing anything likely to cause eyebrows to be raised - though some of the kit worn at some of the weddings the club services have been memorable :whistle:

Not being funny but do a lot of people bring two sets of clothes to golf?? I've rarely ever felt the need to get changes into t-shirt/jeans/whatever after playing, I just walk straight from the 18th into the clubhouse and have a pint. I've found it strange the number of people in this topic saying their club is starting to allow jeans in the clubhouse only, as that implies a lot of people are getting changed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory played a tournament recently in a round neck and no-one mentioned it. I respect clubs dress codes they make their rules so I abide by them.
Do you mean this one? http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/71/590x/Rory-McIlroy-789962.jpg
At least it has buttons and a bit of a collar, sort of, just not a traditional flappy one. I think it looks smart enough anyway.

My original question was just on that Tiger one which is literally a regular t-shirt and I don't think it should have been allowed strictly speaking.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you mean this one? http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/71/590x/Rory-McIlroy-789962.jpg
At least it has buttons and a bit of a collar, sort of, just not a traditional flappy one. I think it looks smart enough anyway.

My original question was just on that Tiger one which is literally a regular t-shirt and I don't think it should have been allowed strictly speaking.

Maybe not sure it was pink though it was his return from injury tournament I think.
When I saw it I thought to myself it doesn't look right,not in a stuffy way just that it was collarless.

As someone said previously they can probably wear what they want within reason.