Dress Code Question

D

Deleted member 15344

As I said, I'm happy to take the opposite approach. I won't ask permission but will change if required after pleasant discussion. Just a different approach is all, I don't condemn yours, it's also fine so you're good 😉

Guess it will depend on what you are turning up with - if golf attire then there won't be an issue but when you know the Dress code is no cargo shorts etc and turn up wearing them then it's a bit disrespectful

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Guess it will depend on what you are turning up with - if golf attire then there won't be an issue but when you know the Dress code is no cargo shorts etc and turn up wearing them then it's a bit disrespectful

But not really the end of the world tho is it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I take the opposing view to this. I'm happy to push the boundaries as I believe it's the only way to make a change happen. And whilst in your situation I would likely have another pair of shorts to put on I certainly wouldn't have asked if the cargo ones were ok. I would wait for someone to say something to me first. Then we could have a discussion and if there was no reasoning then I would change. All very pleasant and polite. There's a saying which says it's far better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. This would be one of those occasions.

While I can see how doing this at your home club, may in some small way try and push the dress code boundaries enough to get them updated to allow whatever you are wearing to be permitted, if you are simply visiting a club it won't matter one iota to them and if they do not comply to what they see as being right and proper, it could lead to an embarrassing discussion. Dress codes are usually published on websites and so there's no reason not to be compliant. If you wish to change your club by pushing the boundaries and can get away with it then carry on.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing always makes me smile in our Dress Code policy.

T-Shirts are not permitted but golf shirts without collars are.

What's the difference? Probably about 30 quid!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive given up moaning about the stupidity and prejudice involved in dress codes

I just worry about the people who enforce and insist of them these days .... ;)

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Should just start banning general hideousness like top button douppers and ankle sock with long trouser wearers (realise that is basically every tour pro)

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
May have missed it.... but surprised Rory's/Tommy Fleetwood and Rickie joggers haven't been mentioned.

I'm a light weight chino and polo shirt throughout. Find chinos more durable and comfy than actual golf trousers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
May have missed it.... but surprised Rory's/Tommy Fleetwood and Rickie joggers haven't been mentioned.

I'm a light weight chino and polo shirt throughout. Find chinos more durable and comfy than actual golf trousers.

I thought the same until I bought some Ping trousers. Very lightweight so you don't overheat yet they stop the wind so you don't feel cold. A genuine revelation, the comfiest trousers I own. Another no for the jogger style.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't necessarily mind a bit of a dress code so long as it isn't designed to make people look like idiots.

The one I absolutely hate is knee length socks or white mid calf length tennis socks required with shorts. Ideally worn with non-white golf shoes to make it even worse. Just a money making scheme so the shop can sell them at 15 quid a pair.

Add to that clubs that take the huff about the clothes you arrive wearing, if I have just spent all day in town I might arrive wearing jeans and trainers and will change in the facilities there because that is what they are there for imo.

Does any place insist on these????

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the same until I bought some Ping trousers. Very lightweight so you don't overheat yet they stop the wind so you don't feel cold. A genuine revelation, the comfiest trousers I own. Another no for the jogger style.

I've got some brilliant Nike ones. Played in the rain at Carnoustie, they do not soak up water and dry in the wind.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Or, depending on your viewpoint, outdated and behind the times ;). It's all about your own perspective.

I disagree. Respect and compliance are never outdated or behind the times. They are at times unfashionable, but that's just an excuse to do whatever you want.

Simple truth is you can't have a golf club on your own.

Best way to change golf club policy is to join the committee, take on an active role in the club and argue for change. If enough committee members agree with your views, then they will prevail.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dress codes will always bring about a discussion like this. I comply, not a big deal but I absolutely see that many aspects are outdated and give the impression of a stuffy sport that puts barriers up to new entrants. These are not financial barriers but psychological barriers. There are too many competing pastimes for golf to keep putting those barriers up in my opinion. I'm not calling for open season but a relaxation in some areas makes a great deal of sense to me.

For those that chose to hurruummmpph about this, fine, live in your bubble of golf in a bygone, Peter Alliss era. "All that is wrong about modern society" is just a laughable statement.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Dress codes will always bring about a discussion like this. I comply, not a big deal but I absolutely see that many aspects are outdated and give the impression of a stuffy sport that puts barriers up to new entrants. These are not financial barriers but psychological barriers. There are too many competing pastimes for golf to keep putting those barriers up in my opinion. I'm not calling for open season but a relaxation in some areas makes a great deal of sense to me.

For those that chose to hurruummmpph about this, fine, live in your bubble of golf in a bygone, Peter Alliss era. "All that is wrong about modern society" is just a laughable statement.

How is it a laughable statement? Respect and compliance are two of the very foundations of a civilised society and to ignore them is the start of a very slippery slope. Personally, I have been to many of these 'modern thinking' golf clubs (generally they are proprietary owned businesses) and they are no better than the local Wetherspoons. There is nothing wrong with Wetherspoons but I prefer my club to be a bit more upmarket than that. As an example, I took a load of family to my club for Mother's day lunch recently and the dining room looked lovely with beautifully laid out tables etc, not a scruffy t-shirt or pair of jeans in sight. If they relaxed the dress code I would probably leave and join either Ferndown or Parkstone but that is just my opinion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since some brought it up in the last couple of pages - I have never, ever tucked in my shirt to play golf. I wear a polo and chinos always, but if someone asked me to tuck in my shirt I would probably laugh at them. That's going way too far! No one ever has asked me to do that, mind. Even if I was forced to tuck it in, I feel it would become untucked after a few swings anyway, and I'll be damned if I'm going to keep retucking it all the way round.