Dress code and BAME

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never mind asking me what's wrong with a burka, what's right with a burka when it comes to golf?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Burqa_Afghanistan_01.jpg

So these 2 in your 4 ball would be a good 4 ball, yeah?

Sorry but I find some of the replies a little confrontational at best and this picture has nothing to do with ladies playing golf in them. If they were trying to get into golf and had to wear one, then we should accommodate them. We are multi racial after all. I can sense this might take a nosedive so I'll bow out. I've said what I think and clearly you disagree so we'll agree to have separate points

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not being confrontational. Sometimes the typed word can come across the wrong way.

I have no problem with religion. What I do have issues with are rules being changed to suit the minority, and not just in golf.

It's the word minority that irks me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not being confrontational. Sometimes the typed word can come across the wrong way.

I have no problem with religion. What I do have issues with are rules being changed to suit the minority, and not just in golf.

It's the word minority that irks me.

Why would the rules be changed ?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really sure that the original article had anything to do with dress code. Regardless, I doubt there's much likelihood of anyone turning up to play golf in a burka.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hang on a moment. Would a female Wahhabi muslim join a mixed golf club where she would be at risk of having to interact with males and risk having males look at her ? No - never. So any issue around burqa or niqab wearing and dress code is never going to arise is it? And a hijab is just a form of headscarf - so there are not going to be any issues or concerns there.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Of course the rules would be changed. You would not see a typical traditional muslim in typical traditional golf clothing. There would be a change to the rules that permit religious specific clothing.

We already have religious specific attire that's accepted in golf clubs (i.e turban) but the type of clothing the minority wear is far more 'in ya face'!

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course the rules would be changed. You would not see a typical traditional muslim in typical traditional golf clothing. There would be a change to the rules that permit religious specific clothing.

We already have religious specific attire that's accepted in golf clubs (i.e turban) but the type of clothing the minority wear is far more 'in ya face'!

Again I can't see why any rules would need to be changed ?

One of my FC is a traditional Muslim and wears traditional golf clothing ? As do Muslims who play cricket or football or any sport

Is religious clothing banned ? Not that I'm aware off so no need to change anything

And what's this "in your face"attire ?

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Once again you make reference to somebody already introduced to the game.

Most first timers will not have all the traditional gear so allowance will be made for their attire.

Having witnessed the gowns in play, albeit on a municipal, it's definitely coming.

I don't want golf tradition sold up the river to please the minority!

I was never happy wearing white socks with black shoes whilst wearing shorts but if that's tradition then it's tradition all day for me!

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf I hope is a sport I hope can cross all bridges of all walks of life in the world

I hope that golf can cater for not just the majority but everyone

If people wear religious clothing on the golf course exactly what difference does it make to you ? - none about from to upset you deep rooted dislike for "minorities"

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The word minority is often over used. Who exactly are the minority?

It's not the minority people I take issue with but those who use it to make change!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

You you really want all golfers to dress like middle to old aged white men, as that's 'traditional'?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We have some Muslim couples in our club. The women only seem to play with their husbands at quiet periods late in they afternoon. They wear long gowns and head scarves, which doesn't seem ideal attire for playing golf to me. :mmm:

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
We have some Muslim couples in our club. The women only seem to play with their husbands at quiet periods late in they afternoon. They wear long dresses and head scarves, which doesn't seem ideal attire for playing golf to me. :mmm:

Well some of this goes back to other arguments over dress codes and are they there as the attire is practical to play golf in or there to impose a 'golf uniform' for want of a better word.

Someone made a very good point in an other post that if you designed golf attire from scratch without the 'tradition' you probably would not chose what we currently are told to wear. So saying that long dresses et al are not the most practical item to play golf in is true. But then again you could make a strong argument to say that the gear that most golfers wear is not the most practical either. So once you take the practicality argument mostly out of it then you are then left with questions of conforming to a golf uniform.