Just received an interesting e mail from my club.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being honest - i hope my club keep the same policy we have - clean appropiate golf clothing - proper golf shoes, tailored shorts or trousers and shirts must be tucked in. I actually like being smart on a golf course

3 years ago I would have disagreed with you, I felt quite put out having to buy clothing in addition to paying membership and purchasing clubs. However I dont think I could play golf in anything other than proper attire now. Maybe allowing people to start without that additional expense would be a good thing, it wont be long before they feel as though they have to dress like everyone else anyway imo.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Because the image of golf from some is a bit of a stuffy old school must wear tucked in polo and trousers when some might be more interested if the rules were relaxed a little - even just allowing people to have their polo shirt not tucked in.

But my point is you appeared to automatically suggest it was about wearing jeans and to relax dress codes doesnt automatically suggest wearing jeans
Reding between the lines, the email from the club seemed to infer "we wouldn't complain if you wore jeans". Or a shell suit. Or tweeds. The point I'm making is that relaxed dress codes have zero effect in making a club more appealing to membership. You may get the odd piece of passing trade from a group who decide to have a knock one day - then what? Do they return on a regular basis and support the club financially? Nope. I changed my mind - maybe the email really IS an act of desperation..

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's probably an issue with land - not clothing.
I've said it before and I've seen it in action. Clubs that have to "dumb down" to the masses to try to stimulate business are usually going to struggle regardless. It's also no coincidence that clubs that are healthy financially are also the ones with a more defined club etiquette policy. If they really want to expand as a club and as a business, then allow jeans and trainers is not the way to do it. Hard to say it without sounding like a snob, but jeans and trainers puts people OFF from joining clubs - it does nothing to actively encourage membership. I've yet to find anyone who said "I'd join if they allowed jeans". At least, anyone that was serious about playing golf on a long term basis.
The problem the club has its in a very affluent area.So as a 9 hole club its looked down on as a little pitch and putt . Were surrounded by Bristol and clifton golf club, Clevedon golf club, Long Ashton golf club. The funny thing is the Members of these clubs put there children through our club because of the excellent facilities for junior golfers and then of course they move to their parents club.

D

Deleted member 15344

Reding between the lines, the email from the club seemed to infer "we wouldn't complain if you wore jeans". Or a shell suit. Or tweeds. The point I'm making is that relaxed dress codes have zero effect in making a club more appealing to membership. You may get the odd piece of passing trade from a group who decide to have a knock one day - then what? Do they return on a regular basis and support the club financially? Nope. I changed my mind - maybe the email really IS an act of desperation..

Do you have something to back up that claim ?

I believe there is a course near me called Tilsworth golf course - they were struggling about 6 years ago and relaxed their dress code to allow things like shirts tucked out or football shirts and non tailored shorts or three quarter trousers or cargo pants but still no jeans allowed. That move allowed the clubs membership to bloom and now its a thriving club for people who want to have a more relaxed attitude to dress code.

The EGU are trying to find ways to evolve the game and bring more people into the game - relaxing dress codes is one way that is possibly being used - as opposed to "desperation"

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont think its an act of desperation, theyre just trying to get more people into golf. The club has probably put more juniors,Women and adult beginners playing golf than all the other clubs around here together. The other clubs ive stated in my last post darent put this to their members as they would as you turn there noses up at it. I joined because there was no Heirs and graces and everyone was friendly. I could learn to be a member of a club without fear of doing something wrong or upsetting a member who rather than showing me the errors of my ways would just report me or worse still berate me. Golfs meant to be fun. I play it because i enjoy it but a lot of people who would probably like to have a go probably dont because of certain stigmas still attached. Thats not to say if i saw someone with no regard for others safety or damaging the course i wouldnt say anything because i would. At the end of the day its a trial and the members will have the final say if it starts getting out of hand.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you have something to back up that claim ?

I believe there is a course near me called Tilsworth golf course - they were struggling about 6 years ago and relaxed their dress code to allow things like shirts tucked out or football shirts and non tailored shorts or three quarter trousers or cargo pants but still no jeans allowed. That move allowed the clubs membership to bloom and now its a thriving club for people who want to have a more relaxed attitude to dress code.

The EGU are trying to find ways to evolve the game and bring more people into the game - relaxing dress codes is one way that is possibly being used - as opposed to "desperation"
Not really, other than a similar story with the reverse results. It would interesting to see how the OP's club trial pans out. Granted the geographical location is somewhat different.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not really, other than a similar story with the reverse results. It would interesting to see how the OP's club trial pans out. Granted the geographical location is somewhat different.

But the story of what happened with the local club here sort of shows that it can change a clubs fortunes.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think its a great move by the club, shows forward thinking, so well done to them.

I think there is little doubt that the relaxed dress code will help them to attract more members, and I wish them all the very best with it.

Good forward planning like this can reap the rewards. The problem is there is too little of it on many golf club committees.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that it is a great idea to trial ideas like this. The one thing is certain is that if you keep doing the same thing, you are going to keep getting the same results. As such, if a club wants to spread golf to a wider audience then it needs to try anything that may attract people who have been dissuaded before. This may be the answer, it may be that the answer is in another direction but you have to try to find out.

I think that it can easily be forgotten that these initiatives are not aimed at us, we have already got an interest in the game and have followed that up. The whole idea is to remove hurdles from those who have not taken the game up yet. Balancing new ideas with the wishes of current members, however, is a different ball game but if everyone knows that it is only a trial with discussions at the end the pros and cons can be weighed up and debated and a decision reached.

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I live within 200 yards of Windlemere Golf Club in Surrey. A nice little 9 hole course with a mix of 4's and 3's. I don't think it has a dress code (or it really doesn't enforce one) but it is normally packed - kids, adults, wives and husbands - a fair mix of good and bad golfers - you name it, they are there. Plenty of jeans, T-shirts, shorts and trainers in the summer and guess what - the etiquette is no worse than many of the top courses round here. Queueing up on the 1st is normal as is a car park full of Transit vans when the builders decide it is a nice day and knock off early. Juniors have a choice of short courses - this one and Sunningdale ladies. I know which one I prefer the atmosphere and conviviality at. (I also think I know which one is more financially viable!)

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
I personally am old school when it comes to golf clothing and conform to the standards required on the course other than tucking my shirt in (lightning strike). However, when I see the clothes some of our older members wear, ie a pair of trousers and shirt that are older than the course, threadbare and scruffy then it blows standards out of the water.

golf membership is dropping and this course is trying something different to boost its economy. If you compared it to a restaurant which aimed at a Certain type of person in an area and was not attracting them and business was struggling then they would have to change its business strategy to survive. If your were playing cricket and were 3 men short and you found three players who didn't have whites but had trainers would you turn them away and not play the game?

My PERSONAL view for my course which is members £700 per anum is that mid week if visitors want to pay the green fees (£40-£50) so long as they don't damage the course and adhere to the basic rules of golf crack on and wear what they want ( footwear-trainers or golf shoes!) if it keeps my course open and fees down. On weekends when visitors are rare due to competitions and Members tee times the usual rules apply.

it's also interesting how "standard" golf clothing has changed/evolved over the 30 odd years I have been playing. Spikes were a must all that time ago and there is now virtually no difference in the traditional golf shoes and trainers.

changing times unfortunately requires changes in the way we do business, I would be interested to see the results.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think it's a good move

People can try golf out in trainers etc and then get kitted out as they advance in the game, and let's be honest trainers probably have just as much grip as a pair of spikeless shoes and look very much the same

Relaxing the dress code is good, possibly allowing people to wear cargo shorts/trousers or chinos and a tee shirt doesn't look as scruffy as you see some people on the course up my way, tatty golf shorts and a tatty polo, they look like they've arrived off the allotment :rofl:

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ah, I know it.
I was referring to Caerleon in my post - but back in the 80's

That's what I thought you were getting at ;) played there many times when I was just starting out with golf and it's a good little course. Never had a problem with anyone playing it and the relaxed dress code made it even better when you just fancied rocking up and playing a bit of golf.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club we have a split dress code. Members are expected to wear proper golfing attire in competitions, a more relaxed dress code for members who are playing a bounce game or alone and pay and play guests can play in what they like as long as it's clean, tidy and their footwear won't damage the course.
It works well and members have the choice on what to wear for the most part and anyone coming to play the course won't get turned away unless they are wearing tatty clothes.
Personally I prefer to wear golfing attire if I'm playing at anytime as I feel it gets my mind on the game but I have gone for a few holes or to the range without feeling like an outcast.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to live in the area and Tickenham Golf Centre fulfils a much needed gap. It's a great place for beginners to learn, for good coaching and those that want to play in a relaxed friendly environment. (Great views from there). As you say there are plenty of golf clubs within easy reach if you want to play more demanding golf (Shirehampton being another)

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to live in the area and Tickenham Golf Centre fulfils a much needed gap. It's a great place for beginners to learn, for good coaching and those that want to play in a relaxed friendly environment. (Great views from there). As you say there are plenty of golf clubs within easy reach if you want to play more demanding golf (Shirehampton being another)
Ive been contemplating joining shirehampton. A small but tricky course with some good deals on joining at present. The problem is a few of the members i know play there say drainage is a problem and they use a lot of temps.