Do you play in a swindle

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Following on from the other discussion

With clubs full of swindles

Do you play in them ?

If not any reason why ?

For me every Saturday morning it’s a swindle , Sunday morning a swindle and if I play during the week - Thursday it’s a swindle

Only time I don’t play in a swindle is if it’s a KO or a drawn comp

D-S

Visit site
Not sure of the definition of a ‘swindle’. I play in what we call a roll up, a bunch of mates who meet up at an appointed time, no fixed number and we organise the game on the day dependent on numbers. Others who are around are welcome to join. The WhatsApp group is about 20 odd strong but we normall get 5-10 - is this a swindle?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
We have a Sunday group. £5 to play so a very small amount.

Front, back and overall winners and 2’s get paid out.

All carry over goes towards the end of season do.

Well organised and makes it fun

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play in a winter group which will be starting in a few weeks after the last medal of the year. Also play in a works society that has meets every 6 weeks or so, if this counts. We sometimes play for small cash prizes in our WhatsApp group if enough are playing at the same time.

sjw

Visit site
Not sure of the definition of a ‘swindle’. I play in what we call a roll up, a bunch of mates who meet up at an appointed time, no fixed number and we organise the game on the day dependent on numbers. Others who are around are welcome to join. The WhatsApp group is about 20 odd strong but we normall get 5-10 - is this a swindle?
Basically, yes

RichA

Visit site
I like to know what time I'm playing golf. I generally arrive 20 minutes early and stay for a hot chocolate with the guys after a round, but I have too much other domestic stuff to do to be spending too excess time at the golf club.
At my previous club the only swindle was a bit of a clique, so not really the welcoming circle of friends in waiting that folks have alluded to on another thread.
I don't know the weekend roll up / swindle players at my new club but a few guys I'm pals with have inferred that there are too many loudmouth geezer 🔔🔚s among them.
About a dozen of us moved over to the new club and mix up the groups but there's very rarely more than bragging rights at stake.

Morfeen75

Visit site
Yes, every week. Theres an old boy who organises it and has done for the last 49yrs. When i joined the club, he introduced himself to me and invited me to the group. There must be 50+players who play across the season but only about 30 play each week. Well organised and i have met some really good guys and made a few close friends through the group.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not usually, no. For a couple of reasons. One is not being bothered to faff about trying to find 2 or 3 quid every time - which I presume is the prior discussion you were referring to.

The main reason is that I usually play with two of my best mates, or one or the other of them. Given that I no longer go out for drinks on the weekends these days, I really look forward to the social time of spending a few hours with my good mate(s) on the golf course. If I was playing a roll-up there'd be a good chance I only bump into them fleetingly and maybe a quick drink afterwards but it's not the same as spending four hours in their company. I don't miss out on meeting other members as we still make the effort occasionally to enter some board comps (which are drawn), and I play in a few different match play knockouts so have met loads of people that way. And sometimes another member will join us on one of our casual rounds. If both my mates were unavailable on the day I was going to play I might join a roll-up, but generally that hasn't happened.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't....
I could...every day of the week except Sunday there's a roll up or 2 or 3 or even 4 going on..
I think the main reason is that the majority go out at either 9/9.30 or 11/11.30 which, tjming-wise, doesn't really fit in with things right now.
It wouldn't surprise me if I end up in some in a few years uit not right now.
I play, probably, 6 days a week. A couple of times on my own, which is great for trying things out and clearing the mind, and with a few others the rest of the week..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When there isn't a competition on so usually either the Saturday or Sunday in the height of the season as we tend to have something one of those days each week. Now it is coming to winter golf it'll be both days except for a monthly stableford once a month

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. Not really a thing at my club. There is one on a Saturday morning, just the one as far as I am aware, but it is a bit a closed shop and for that reason alone I would not want to be a part of it. I'm happy to play earlier than they go out so there is no conflict.

I'm not anti, they are just not there to be a part of really.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Yep - some call them roll ups some call them swindles etc

D

Deleted member 36474

Never have and don't think I ever will. Turn up, play golf and go home or turn up, practice and go home.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I like to know what time I'm playing golf. I generally arrive 20 minutes early and stay for a hot chocolate with the guys after a round, but I have too much other domestic stuff to do to be spending too excess time at the golf club.
At my previous club the only swindle was a bit of a clique, so not really the welcoming circle of friends in waiting that folks have alluded to on another thread.
I don't know the weekend roll up / swindle players at my new club but a few guys I'm pals with have inferred that there are too many loudmouth geezer 🔔🔚s among them.
About a dozen of us moved over to the new club and mix up the groups but there's very rarely more than bragging rights at stake.

That’s pretty much a roll up/swindle etc - if you have dozen or so people that play together then it’s just a small roll up that you sort between yourselves