Distance from your home course

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wondering what distance everyone lives from their home club? And who has the longest journey?

I'm 10 mins exactly from my club.
Course has been in good condition this year but a few things are slipping. Got me thinking if ever I was to join another club how far would I be prepared to travel. Bring 10 mins away is obviously really convenient especially if I just want to play 5 or 6 holes. Realistically not going to do that at a course 45 mins away.

So how far for those here would be the limit you'd travel for a top quality course?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 miles according to Google maps. It is past 2 secondary schools (next door to each other) so tee times around school chucking out time can take quite a while as the parents picking up their little darlings don't want them to walk to far so cars are all over the place and you have to have a sixth sense for when a teenager just walks out in front of you whilst engrossed on their phone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
9 miles, 15 minutes. I have 6 clubs within 16 minutes of where I live and all come into the equation as options.

Top distance for me, as long as I'm working, is 20 minutes. Saying that, if I draw a map the distance of clubs goes up to 16 minutes, next club is then 25 minutes away so maybe 16 minutes is my limit 😄.

I once moved house mid season and that took me 30 minutes away. That was too much, it showed me how distance did matter, how it impacted how often I played.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1.5 miles for me and the best course in the local area. Have 1 other a bit closer but it’s not a patch on my home club. I’m pretty spoiled as I have 4 clubs around 5 miles from my house.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
4.5 miles by car - but all through south London so time depends on when you go. About 15 min on a weekend morning but could be 45min to an hour if you go at a busy time. But I tend to go on the bus then walk through the woods so about 35mins.

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
Just under 10 miles, 20 mins in the car. I have one about 2 mins away but it's nowhere as nicely kept and the clubhouse is terrible.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
According to Google Maps...

6 miles or 18 minutes to my club.
1.1 miles or 4 minutes to the youth's current home club - however, we are hopefully in the process of getting him joined at Huddersfield as well which is also 6 miles away, this will become his home club if he's accepted for membership.

Anybody that's familiar with Huddersfield (or Fixby as it's known), will probably have seen the houses behind the 7th tee - my uncle used to live in one of them, for a very acceptable monthly rent charge.

He wasn't a golfer, but it was idyllic if you're a fan of the game.

Fixby House.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Five minutes walk or so, though as I don't have a locker and the pavements are not maintained I usually drive.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
15 miles, 25 minute drive

there are 9 courses that are closer or a shorter drive from my home, 4 or 5 of which could arguably be described or be perceived by others, as being "better" than my home course...whatever "better" might mean from any one individuals point of view.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
12 miles.
18 minutes on a weekend morning.

50 years ago I lived 3 miles from my course and I would cycle there, play 36 holes, and cycle back, in the school summer holidays.

EDIT: Just checked AA Route Planner and it said 11.6 miles and 20 minutes, but I know I can get there in 18 minutes early morning Sat and Sun.

Last edited: