How far do you travel? And how far would you travel?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Course is about 5 mins - would be happy to drive upto 30mins to go to a course. There is only one course within 30 mins that I would move to and it’s only cost that stops that

I'm about 15-20 mins from same course and would only move to the other same course, but equally prohibited by cost.

I am currently considering country membership at AN other courses, could be tempted for a two hour drive once a month, or an hours flight on sleazyjet if the cost is right, for the right course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club is about 6 or 7 minutes drive away. I wouldn't want to be a member of anywhere that's more than around 15 minutes drive. One of the perks of being a club member is just popping down for a quick nine holes when the mood takes, summer evenings particularly, so it needs to be pretty close by.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I live half a mile from Wynyard (Seve Trophy) and a 10 minute drive from Seaton, but I have absolutely no interest in being a member at either.

I have a 10 minute walk to my home club where I have a locker which means I have to take my trolley battery home every two round, but nothing else.

I like a pint after the golf and can enjoy it without any concerns as I'll be walking. The course is tough, interesting, and the members are my kind of people.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few hundred yards for me. I would not consider swapping clubs to anywhere else. It is convenient has tee times readily available is a very enjoyable and picturesque course to play, though it is not a prestige course.
Only downside is that being inland in the West of Scotland it is a bit hit and splash in winter. I would be tempted by membership at a links course as I approach retirement as a second course, it would have to be within 40 minutes or so realistically to make it a worthwhile and te times would have to be readily available, I don't do much advanced planning to play golf.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Had something similar (to OP) late 2019. Course that was 15 mins from me closed. I ended up listing all the courses under 25 miles, and under 35 mins. Current course is 20.5 miles and 30 mins. I've adjusted, thankfully it
Ironically the closest club to me is the premium option, but I'm not quite ready to justify it just yet.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I live half a mile from Wynyard (Seve Trophy) and a 10 minute drive from Seaton, but I have absolutely no interest in being a member at either.

I have a 10 minute walk to my home club where I have a locker which means I have to take my trolley battery home every two round, but nothing else.

I like a pint after the golf and can enjoy it without any concerns as I'll be walking. The course is tough, interesting, and the members are my kind of people.
Billingham?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently live approx half a mile to my home course. 6-7 minute walk or a 90 second drive. Moving to a new club in the new year which is actually closer to my house as the crow flies, but is about a 7 minute drive.

I don’t think I’d want to be a member of anywhere much further than 10 minutes away. It takes away the convenience and social factors which for me are important. However, having a fair few decent courses within a 30 minute drive is handy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 20 mins away from my latest place. It's a swamp in winter with USPGA spec greens, so stays open as long as possible. As far as I know most are like this around me so it's not worth paying top dollar to get the same quality course. You just have to cross your fingers and hope for a nice winter. hey ho.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My course is about 10 minutes away, at most.
When I lived in Uckfield I was a member of Crowborough Beacon as it was only 20 minutes up the road and I loved it there.
I rejoined there about 10 years ago as a "country member" as I now live in Bexhill.
As much as I love the course, I soon got cheesed off with the hours journey.......

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
This is a big consideration, I'd have thought..... it is for me...... so......
Just 5 miles - 10mins to my Club
& not much further to about 6 to 8 'more highly rated' N Leeds courses.

I live in Leeds also and having access to so many courses in 25 mins means membership seems like narrowing my options. However I'm currently thinking about joining a club. Any views on which are the best for winter golf? I don't see the point of paying out so much money if it's near on unplayable for 5 or 6 months..

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 2 minutes drive away from my local course Macclesfield GC. Having recently moved to the area id planned to join Prestbury, which is in "the next best 100" and pushing for top 100 with a big redesign next year. It's only 10 minutes drive away too. I'm still a member at my old club for sentimental reasons but thats 45 minutes drive and I just haven't played enough to justify the fees so won't be re-newing next year.

However, I've enjoyed it at Macc so much that I'm pretty sure im going to stay put. It's a great craic playing there. The course had been in amazing condition and I've met some great people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course is about a 25 minute drive away. I wouldn’t want to do much more than that for my home course. However, I often drive for an hour, or an hour and a half, for a club match, a golf society event or for a round with a friend who doesn’t live that close.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The psychology of it affects things. The quick 9 holes in an evening is no longer quick,
This is the killer for me.

I live 40 mins from one really good track, and 50 mins from another that is probably my favourite course in the world (that isn't exclusive). But in the Summer months when I finish work at 1700, playing 9 or even 18 is an absolute doddle currently, as I live 5 minutes from my local course. I wouldn't drive 50 minutes just to play 9 holes though... :(

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alaways a tough decision, a course that you can just call in for a few holes and go home, or a top class course that you need to actually arrange your time around as it is an all day thing. If I was single I would happily travel an hour to have the better course. But if you have a family then you want to be out of the house for as shorter time as possible.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently 2 mins away, and perfect as I have a young family, so can pop down around the family commitments.

I did travel 30mins to a much better course, that would be my limit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6 miles to my club 20mins tops.
I could get in ( I think) in a few of the top links courses up the coast but although they are not that far away it’s the traffic that stops me.
Especially in the summer the traffic is just horrendous.
I am really happy with my current club. ( except the bunker linings) :mad:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Been weighing this up recently.

Here (in spain) golf is expensive - right now if I wanted to play my nearest course it would probably cost me around 100 euros for 2 green fees for me and the 11 year old - that's a twilight time, no buggy. The course is rated as one of the top 100 in Spain, and the hotel won "Best Golf Hotel in Spain" at the awards in Dubai this week. It's very, very good.

30 minutes away is El Plantio - the same twilight green fees there would cost 55 euros - and it's still a very good course.
I emailed them today about membership costs, 2200 euros for full membership, 1350 for twilight which is after 1pm for 6 months, anytime of the day for the other 6 months - that is what I would opt for.
I asked for the cost for 1 adult and 1 junior - they said they'd be happy to let Jamie join for free given his age. All the courses near to me are charging 30 euros minimum for 18 holes for a junior - and these guys are saying bring him for nothing. Brilliant.

And here's the bonus, the company that owns El Plantio also own Alicante Golf Club, designed by Seve, a fantastic, fun course to play in the heart of the city. Love it there, but it's about 45 minutes drive to get there, but the membership covers both clubs, so for 1350 euros, I get 1 adult and 1 junior membership at 2 really good golf courses - the only issue is it's 30 minutes drive to the nearest one.

So, do I play my local course a dozen or so times a year, or do I go for the membership and play at least 30 times a year for the same outlay?