How far do you travel? And how far would you travel?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I live 320 yards from the starters box and first tee of the Medal at my place - 290 yards from my house to our clubhouse. My car has only ever been in the car park to pick up my clubs in the days when I bothered having a locker at the club.

There's a decent chance that I'll live in North East Fife in a few years time and will have to travel for golf - it's 9.3 miles from where I'd live to the St Andrews Links clubhouse and that's the plan.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m about 10 minutes, on a slow run.

I joined another club that was 45 mins away, and the drive just got boring.

I don’t think I’d want to drive more than 20/25 minutes for regular golf.

Country memberships are a different beast though. Also at a course 1hr 45mins away….and barely used my membership this year so far

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm about 12 miles and 25 mins from my current course. And that's probably about my limit for a home course.

There's a few other courses a few miles closer, but would take about the same amount of travel time, so no real saving in moving to those.

There's one course much closer to me, but tbh, if that was the only course in the county I'd give up golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Course is about 5 mins - would be happy to drive upto 30mins to go to a course. There is only one course within 30 mins that I would move to and it’s only cost that stops that

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
10 miles which takes 18 minutes.

I have 7 courses within 10 miles, including Parkstone and Broadstone. I won't move unless a majority of the group (15 of us) I regularly play with can move at the same time and agree where to.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course is just under 20 miles from home, but is the closest course. It takes about 25 minutes by car.
How far would I be prepared to travel? I regularly travel to East Lothian and play Gullane and Dunbar which are about 80 miles away and about one and a half hours drive depending on traffic around the Edinburgh Bypass. In the past I have travelled to Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick for a game of golf and never given it much thought.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My home club is about 20 miles door to door and takes about 20 mins first thing. I'm also a member at a course that's less than a mile away, but I don't play it that often as my home course is a links and is a far better course and in better condition. I have been a member at another course that was 40 miles and played it every week. I've a few mates that are also members of a course 50 miles away and they also play weekly there, but it is to 10 in the world so why wouldn't you.

Personally it's the quality of the course and if it's a good course I would travel.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m about 20 mins to mine, so not too bad.

There are several courses closer to home, but cost was the main factor of where I am currently.

I’m on the waiting list to rejoin Stoneham, which is only about 5 mins away so hopefully by the time I’ve reached the top I’ll be playing well enough to justify it

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
8 miles, 15-20 minutes drive. Am absolutely fine with that.

There are 4 courses which are closer, 3 of them are not as good as our place, the other is comparable but gets very busy and also has a reputation for not being particularly friendly.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I lived about 3 miles from my club, now moved and it's nearer 11, and next year I'll be also joing a secondary club that'll be 100 yards from my door, so that's nice.

There has to be a very good reason not to join your most local club IMO, bad layout, bad condition, tee time availability etc. Those are the only reasons I'd not join the club on my doorstep, the convenience outweighs most things, and you'll play far more golf, even if it's just a late evening 9 holes, or out on the practice range.

What about the people? the atmosphere? the "club" aspect? I'd rather be a member of a friendly, lively club with a less prestigious layout that takes me half an hour to get to, than a "superior" course with a less than engaging membership on my doorstep.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
4 miles and 12 minutes according to AA Route Planner; in reality 8 - 15 minutes depending on traffic & the lights.

I wouldn't want to go much further locally as traffic can make it a real ball ache. I'd be prepared to have a longer journey out "in the sticks" because traffic is less of an issue. How much further would depend on the club, but it would have to be a very good offer to pull me away from where I am; not many courses in the area that I'd prefer, and the social side is very good which means Mrs. BiM gets benefits from it, which means Mrs. BiM doesn't question paying the membership fees

D

Deleted member 1147

I live 2 miles from my club
I would travel up to 50 miles

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
8 miles and 10-15 minutes from our place.

I wouldn’t want to travel more than 30 minutes each way if I’m honest, but won’t have to as the total lack of “top” courses within an hour of me makes it a moot point.

D

Deleted member 3432

Member at Silloth but live in Sunderland.

About 2 hours door to door.

Worth it to be a member at such a prestigious club and outstanding course.

Tremendous effort (y)

I was talking to a couple of our members from Motherwell the other day, its great to see golfers recognising that sometimes its worth the extra effort.

Just a shame some people playing at other local clubs its too far away to consider joining and then moan when they are ankle deep in mud if their very average parkland track is even open.

Anyway, just the 20 miles or so for me to play at an outstanding course. Local course is a couple of miles from home but been there done that and not going back.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about the people? the atmosphere? the "club" aspect? I'd rather be a member of a friendly, lively club with a less prestigious layout that takes me half an hour to get to, than a "superior" course with a less than engaging membership on my doorstep.
This is a big consideration, I'd have thought..... it is for me...... so......
Just 5 miles - 10mins to my Club
& not much further to about 6 to 8 'more highly rated' N Leeds courses.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
simple questions but interest to hear responses, especially to the second question:

A - how far do you travel to your current club/course?

B - how far would you travel if you had the opportunity to join a top class course? (probably defined as the best course you can join at your maximum budget)

For me, im 2 miles and 5 mins away from my current course, but the answer to B is difficult - I have toyed with a couple of brilliant course that's about 30 miles/1 hour away but think I couldnt justify the travel cost for what is an already expensive course, so i guess about 15 miles is my limit!

A - 15-20 minutes driver

B - About 30-40 minutes tops - I like that I can 'pop' to the course rather than having to drive for ages.