Criticising your club on social media.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone said as a member you are an owner - don't think so!

As said all full members at our club are part owners it's in our Articles of Association. If the club were to be sold we would all receive a share of the sale proceeds.

We do have a Limited Company, which runs the financial side of the club, and all full club members have shares in the company.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it, don’t criticise on social media because that individual is a member or don't criticise because it’s a members club. Is it that a membership shouldn’t criticise their club or any number of individual members?

I wonder because an awful lot of folk on this forum have critisiced their own clubs on everything from the course condition to subs to the F&B to the pro/pricing etc etc

And surely despite the opening Q, it follows that if you shouldn’t criticise your own club on social media because you're a member then as a 'member' you shouldn’t criticise any club (after-all, if not you then someone else will be a member)

D

Deleted member 18588

Is it, don’t criticise on social media because that individual is a member or don't criticise because it’s a members club. Is it that a membership shouldn’t criticise their club or any number of individual members?

I wonder because an awful lot of folk on this forum have critisiced their own clubs on everything from the course condition to subs to the F&B to the pro/pricing etc etc

And surely despite the opening Q, it follows that if you shouldn’t criticise your own club on social media because you're a member then as a 'member' you shouldn’t criticise any club (after-all, if not you then someone else will be a member)

Why criticise yourself?

If it's a Members Club and you are dissatisfied about something then take your complaint, either verbally or in writing, to the Committee.

If that doesn't get you the answer you seek the AGM or an EGM (subject to support from sufficient other members) is your next course of action.

Should this fail through lack of support then, I am afraid, that is democracy and how a Members Club must operate.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's about it. At Proprietary Clubs, you are a customer, although you'll get called a member in the run up to Subs being due! :D

So, if you don't like it, take your custom elsewhere. Clubs that offer a poor product or bad customer service go bust.... eg Dewstow.

Bit like the woman at Cottrell Park. She doesn't think the second course is up to scratch and doesn't want to play comps on it. That's her complaint. Nothing about "women being banned on Saturday" because they are not. She kicked off publically about it, so they are considering cancelling her membership. Plenty of better courses near Cardiff than Cottrell... go and play there.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why criticise yourself?

If it's a Members Club and you are dissatisfied about something then take your complaint, either verbally or in writing, to the Committee.

If that doesn't get you the answer you seek the AGM or an EGM (subject to support from sufficient other members) is your next course of action.

Should this fail through lack of support then, I am afraid, that is democracy and how a Members Club must operate.

Spot on.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kicking someone out for posting about shocking winter greens is not right either.

Its a bit petty from all sides. some courses struggle badly and what can you really expect from greenkeepers in those months. They simply cannot make grass grow at that time of the year.

I wonder have any of the big courses with money to burn thought about getting those massive lights you seen at football stadiums. You could leave them on over night and that would provide the grass with light to grow.

You might also wake up to find a few 747's sitting on the fairway. Now they would make some mark on landing.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not misleading at all.

Who do you think owns the Limited Company?

The shareholders.

And who are the shareholders?

The Member's Club.

Obviously different for the few clubs I have played at.

Here we are members but the course, land etc. is all owned by a company and we do not have any shares etc in that. As far as I know its owned by the family who originally farmed the land before development.

My previous club was being considered for housing development but the members were never going to get any windfall, only the landowner.

D

Deleted member 18588

Obviously different for the few clubs I have played at.

Here we are members but the course, land etc. is all owned by a company and we do not have any shares etc in that. As far as I know its owned by the family who originally farmed the land before development.

My previous club was being considered for housing development but the members were never going to get any windfall, only the landowner.

What you describe is probably a Members Club occupying land as a leaseholder..

Obviously land is the most valuable asset for most Clubs but there are other assets.

However, there are also potential liabilities and if your Club remains without the protection of a Limited Company then it may be the members who are at risk.

If the landlord also receives all the income such as subscriptions, green fees and catering then yours is a Proprietary rather than Members Club and the proprietors carry the liabilities.

Most Members Clubs do, however, own the land/course.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MetalMickie

Why criticise yourself?

Not really, my view is after following the laid down complaints procedure and you have reason to be unhappy and it's reasonable then complain away on social media.

Lets not pretend members don't at times get short shrift, treated like crap and occasionally treated badly.

You are a little bit naive if you think everything gets settled fairly and agreeably to everyone's agreement. The reality is sometimes the customers get screwed (try watching Watchdog) and even after trying to get it sorted they can't or don't get it sorted and sometimes they need a bigger kick up the arse whether that be the local newspaper (see it all the time) national newspapers (quite often) or social media (much more often) it should be an option at some point.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OK fair point but I guess that then depends on the club, I'd like to think my club would deal with things on a case by case basis and be done fairly and squarely and appropriately, if not, then voting with your feet is ALWAYS an option.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK fair point but I guess that then depends on the club, I'd like to think my club would deal with things on a case by case basis and be done fairly and squarely and appropriately, if not, then voting with your feet is ALWAYS an option.

Likewise at ours, most clubs will always try and stop people leaving unhappy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So to sum up. Do you ever complain about any company on social media? if not then of course you wouldnt complain about a golf club so this thread is irrelevant. If its a members club you feel like a part owner so obviously you dont complain on social media. If you do use social media to complain, and are talking about a proprietary club, if you wouldnt criticise the golf club why does it get special treatment?

D

Deleted member 18588

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MetalMickie

Why criticise yourself?

Not really, my view is after following the laid down complaints procedure and you have reason to be unhappy and it's reasonable then complain away on social media.

Lets not pretend members don't at times get short shrift, treated like crap and occasionally treated badly.

You are a little bit naive if you think everything gets settled fairly and agreeably to everyone's agreement. The reality is sometimes the customers get screwed (try watching Watchdog) and even after trying to get it sorted they can't or don't get it sorted and sometimes they need a bigger kick up the arse whether that be the local newspaper (see it all the time) national newspapers (quite often) or social media (much more often) it should be an option at some point.

Your attitude might be OK at a Proprietary Club but in a Members Club it has to be the rule of the majority and that is exercised by the previously stated procedures.

It should never be attempted to circumvent those procedures by one or two members trying to get their own way by embarrassing their Club and fellow members from behind the protection of a keyboard.