Criticising your club on social media.

D

Deleted member 18588

think that you will find that the vast majority (around two-thirds) of Clubs are Member's Clubs and, therefore, the members of those Clubs are, by definition, owners.

There are no "perks of ownership" as they are not constituted to make profits.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected if that is the case. Its not my understanding of "ownership" though. As a member in such circumstances what do you actually "own"? Assume the assets (e.g. the land, all assets etc) are held outside the members club?[/QUOTE]

The assets of most Members' Clubs are owned by a Limited Company, the Directors of which will themselves be members of those Clubs and generally elected to their positions by their fellow members.

This method of governance protects the membership and its liabilities.

However, the assets are held by the Limited Company in trust for the benefit of the membership as a whole.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So how many times should you complain before it’s acceptable to post it on Social media??
Sometimes the public embarrassment is the only way to get something resolved, I know don’t see why Golf clubs should be exempt from it.
I often post issues I have with the gas/electricity board, virgin tv on their Facebook/Twitter page. Why shouldn’t I do it with the golf club?
Generally they are the same as all the professional companies on Facebook though, the minute something negative appears on their page they just delete it. Anyone looking st it just sees all rosy glory comments on it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So how many times should you complain before it’s acceptable to post it on Social media??

Do you mean how many times should you complain until you get your own way ? Because surely any club would take your complaints and process them appropriately and take each complaint on there individual basis.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sometimes the public embarrassment is the only way to get something resolved, I know don’t see why Golf clubs should be exempt from it.
I often post issues I have with the gas/electricity board, virgin tv on their Facebook/Twitter page. Why shouldn’t I do it with the golf club?
Generally they are the same as all the professional companies on Facebook though, the minute something negative appears on their page they just delete it. Anyone looking st it just sees all rosy glory comments on it.

Why would you take to social media to make a complaint about something you have ownership in (if you're a member of a private member's club)?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
think that you will find that the vast majority (around two-thirds) of Clubs are Member's Clubs and, therefore, the members of those Clubs are, by definition, owners.

There are no "perks of ownership" as they are not constituted to make profits.

I stand corrected if that is the case. Its not my understanding of "ownership" though. As a member in such circumstances what do you actually "own"? Assume the assets (e.g. the land, all assets etc) are held outside the members club?[/QUOTE]

The assets of most Members' Clubs are owned by a Limited Company, the Directors of which will themselves be members of those Clubs and generally elected to their positions by their fellow members.

This method of governance protects the membership and its liabilities.

However, the assets are held by the Limited Company in trust for the benefit of the membership as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Not all clubs work that way

D

Deleted member 16999

If anyone needs to go on Fbook often to post issues with their club, I’d think they’re at the wrong club.

Is it actual issues with golf clubs or people whinging about trivia?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You slagged off the club on social media rather than raising it through proper channels ?? Seriously ?

When the communication is through email and on the Facebook page. That’s how I’ll communicate back.

Playing non qualifiers is lost time and money for me.
I don’t have two lessons a month and freeze to death in the winter working on my game to play a medal worth nothing because some seniors have a hissy fit because the course is playing too long as it’s damp and no run out.

Apologies for for the lack of comma’s, I don’t think I breathed while typing.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
[/QUOTE]Not all clubs work that way[/QUOTE]

Am still confused over membership/ownership.
My club is typical I suspect, being a members club, but the course, assets, equipment etc are all owned outside of the membership. Our accounts only show income from competition entry fees etc.

With such a structure, any complaints about the greens, society use, slow play etc etc all seem to be complaints which should be directed to the owners rather than the members club which, as far as i can see, is a group of users with common interests who pay for the privilege of using the course. Calling them owners is misleading in my view, the members club has nothing tangible, or very little, to own!

D

Deleted member 18588

[/QUOTE]Not all clubs work that way[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hence the use of the word; most .

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not all clubs work that way[/QUOTE]

My club is typical I suspect, being a members club, but the course, assets, equipment etc are all owned outside of the membership. Our accounts only show income from competition entry fees etc.

With such a structure, any complaints about the greens, society use, slow play etc etc all seem to be complaints which should be directed to the owners rather than the members club which, as far as i can see, is a group of users with common interests who pay for the privilege of using the course. Calling them owners is misleading in my view, the members club has nothing tangible, or very little, to own![/QUOTE]

This would not be a true members club then. A members club is owned by the members. Everything is either voted on by members or elected committee that is why public slating on social media is frowned upon. Technically you are slagging yourself off and potentially costing you revenue in your club.

Most private member's clubs will have it in their constitution that in the event of closure, all assets would be split amongst the membership. No group or consortium owns it or part of it, you can't sell it.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not all clubs work that way[/QUOTE]

With such a structure, any complaints about the greens, society use, slow play etc etc all seem to be complaints which should be directed to the owners rather than the members club which, as far as i can see, is a group of users with common interests who pay for the privilege of using the course. Calling them owners is misleading in my view, the members club has nothing tangible, or very little, to own![/QUOTE]

It's not misleading at all.

Who do you think owns the Limited Company?

The shareholders.

And who are the shareholders?

The Member's Club.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not all clubs work that way[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hence the use of the word; most .[/QUOTE]

Fair comment. It's more common in England maybe but not Scotland. I don't believe there are many clubs in Scotland who run as limited companies which is primarily there to protect the assets as you highlight. Most clubs in Scotland rely on their constitution for that. Also, many clubs in Scotland don't have the turnover financially that most clubs in England have.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not all clubs work that way
[/QUOTE]

Hence the use of the word; most .[/QUOTE]

Fair comment. It's more common in England maybe but not Scotland. I don't believe there are many clubs in Scotland who run as limited companies which is primarily there to protect the assets as you highlight. Most clubs in Scotland rely on their constitution for that. Also, many clubs in Scotland don't have the turnover financially that most clubs in England have.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think that there are significant differences between the laws either side of the border on liabilities of Unincorporated Bodies, in this case Member's Clubs.

Down here the Environment Agency prosecuted two Club Officers when a contractor caused a pollution problem and could, in fact, have taken action against any member.

This was due to the Club not having protected it's members by forming a Limited Company by guarantee where all members could be protected by a maximum liability of £1 each.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why would you take to social media to make a complaint about something you have ownership in (if you're a member of a private member's club)?

Because the club council/committee don’t seem interested in doing anything about it. The same as virgin/sky respond better when a complaint is publicly viewable. They don’t want the bad press.
Just to clarify though I haven’t posted anything on social media and have tried to sort it through the proper channels. I ask about it regularly but it’s been ongoing for several seasons now.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If anyone needs to go on Fbook often to post issues with their club, I’d think they’re at the wrong club.

Is it actual issues with golf clubs or people whinging about trivia?

Sorry I don’t buy this I’m at the wrong club thing, I like my club, I like the course, all my friends and family play here I actually like the people I’m complaining to, they do a hard job.
I realise the issue I’m complaining about affect a very small number of people at the club which is why I’ve let it drag on so long. It should still however be addressed, something they don’t seem interested in the slightest in doing.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry I don’t buy this I’m at the wrong club thing, I like my club, I like the course, all my friends and family play here I actually like the people I’m complaining to, they do a hard job.
I realise the issue I’m complaining about affect a very small number of people at the club which is why I’ve let it drag on so long. It should still however be addressed, something they don’t seem interested in the slightest in doing.
So how would it of been handled prior to social media?
You could always write a formal letter of complaint.
I don’t get this “I actually like the people I’m complaining to” yet you then say the issue has dragged on and they don’t seem interested in the slightest. Doesn’t sound very proffessional to me.