Criticising your club on social media.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a very defined social media policy with guidelines and the policy for stepping out of line clearly laid out. Personally if I had an issue with (for arguments sake) slow play. course condition, members behaviour etc, then I'd take it up with the captain, vice, secretary or member of the appropriate committee in the first instance and wouldn't dream of raising it on social media

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
wow some pretty precious clubs stopping their members commenting on them on social media

golf clubs are like any other business as far as im concerned, surprised some of you who advent moaning on social media at companies at the drop of a hat wouldnt dare do so about a golf club. double standards much???

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
wow some pretty precious clubs stopping their members commenting on them on social media

golf clubs are like any other business as far as im concerned, surprised some of you who advent moaning on social media at companies at the drop of a hat wouldnt dare do so about a golf club. double standards much???

Nothing to stop members posting but there are defined guidelines. It's the same with my work place. You can post what you like but if it infringes a well documented set of guidelines, expect a reaction and action

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing to stop members posting but there are defined guidelines. It's the same with my work place. You can post what you like but if it infringes a well documented set of guidelines, expect a reaction and action

its nothing like a work place lol, youre seriously comparing the rules you apply by where someone pays you to do a job for the organisation and the same rules in a golf club where you pay for membership and a service? really?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ask Gerald Ratner how his business faired after he posted on social media.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You can have a pop at another company on social media but if you did the same about your own company then surely you would expect consequences from your boss? It's the same with your golf club.

If you are still working, think you have just retired based on another thread, then ask to see your company social media policy. It will be pretty clear about having a pop at them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
its nothing like a work place lol, youre seriously comparing the rules you apply by where someone pays you to do a job for the organisation and the same rules in a golf club where you pay for membership and a service? really?

Of course it is. Go into your work place and make derogatory comments and expect to be in front of HR under your social media policy. Do the same at the golf club and infringe a very clear and well stated policy and expect to be in front of the captain. It's very simple. Run a business or club down and make derogatory or inflammatory remarks and take the consequences. Why do you feel to take the moral high ground. Most clubs have a similar stance on this sort of thing

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course it is. Go into your work place and make derogatory comments and expect to be in front of HR under your social media policy. Do the same at the golf club and infringe a very clear and well stated policy and expect to be in front of the captain. It's very simple. Run a business or club down and make derogatory or inflammatory remarks and take the consequences. Why do you feel to take the moral high ground. Most clubs have a similar stance on this sort of thing

Sorry but you will happilly tell people to moan on twitter if they dont like the service they are getting from a company. why is a golf club not a company in the same aspect? i pay for a product/service and if im not receiving what i pay for why shouldnt i use social media to complain as you recommend for say a utility or mobile phone company? whats the difference?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can have a pop at another company on social media but if you did the same about your own company then surely you would expect consequences from your boss? It's the same with your golf club.

If you are still working, think you have just retired based on another thread, then ask to see your company social media policy. It will be pretty clear about having a pop at them.

massive difference between one pays me to work for it, the other i pay for a product/service, personally cant see how you see them as the same

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry but you will happilly tell people to moan on twitter if they dont like the service they are getting from a company. why is a golf club not a company in the same aspect? i pay for a product/service and if im not receiving what i pay for why shouldnt i use social media to complain as you recommend for say a utility or mobile phone company? whats the difference?

If you pay for something and you don’t get what you pay for then you should be able to complain - which ever manner that is shouldn’t matter as long as it’s done respectfully etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
massive difference between one pays me to work for it, the other i pay for a product/service, personally cant see how you see them as the same

If you are a visitor at a club then you can fill your boots and moan away. If you are a member then it has to be a different beast. Your comments that go outside of the club could be detrimental to the club. If it was privately owned then I would fully expect them to kick you out, you have damaged their business. If it is a member's club you may stand a better chance but you still have damaged the reputation of the club.

Remember, we are only talking about social media moaning which can be seen by the outside world. Moaning in house is not the same as the damage is not the same, although if it becomes persistent that could change of course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are a visitor at a club then you can fill your boots and moan away. If you are a member then it has to be a different beast. Your comments that go outside of the club could be detrimental to the club. If it was privately owned then I would fully expect them to kick you out, you have damaged their business. If it is a member's club you may stand a better chance but you still have damaged the reputation of the club.

Remember, we are only talking about social media moaning which can be seen by the outside world. Moaning in house is not the same as the damage is not the same, although if it becomes persistent that could change of course.

Well said. A club will normally look at their "brand" and members that post something damaging and detrimental will usually take action. If as a member, especially in a private club, you have an issue, I'd expect it to be taken up in house initially. At least give the club a chance to look into the problem and find a solution without going out there and slagging them off straight away

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I dont understand why being a member makes it any different. If the club hasnt resolved an issue that has been addressed with it about a product/service that has been paid for then why shouldnt the member go to social media and air the issue? its an often recommended solution for people with other companies people have memberships with, why does a golf club suddenly get different treatment?

Serious question, how many peoples clubs have a social media policy and have signed up to not being allowed to criticise on social media?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty certain mine doesn't have one but it should in order to protect itself. I think very few will. That will change over the coming years and it will simply be part of your renewal form, along with other small print that we don't read 😁.

D

Deleted member 16999

I dont understand why being a member makes it any different. If the club hasnt resolved an issue that has been addressed with it about a product/service that has been paid for then why shouldnt the member go to social media and air the issue? its an often recommended solution for people with other companies people have memberships with, why does a golf club suddenly get different treatment?

Serious question, how many peoples clubs have a social media policy and have signed up to not being allowed to criticise on social media?
I actually sort of agree with your point of view, the difference for me is that I would hope members have tried to resolve their issues in house prior to going to social media, an outsider, as in the case I posted about, you can’t stop it, you go to damage limitation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a social media policy. Well documented on the members section. I'd argue it's the same as one you may have in place at work. You don't sign to that, but it's implicit under the terms and conditions of your work contract and similarly by agreeing to be a member

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In answer to your first question, being a member means there are responsibilities and also consequences to your actions. The ultimate consequence is that the club cancels your membership if they feel you have damaged the club sufficiently.

Complain on social media but be aware that consequence is an option for the club.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually sort of agree with your point of view, the difference for me is that I would hope members have tried to resolve their issues in house prior to going to social media, an outsider, as in the case I posted about, you can’t stop it, you go to damage limitation.

Wouldnt hesitate to address the issue directly first as I would with any business, thats not the issue imo, what I dont understand is why some think the golf club should be treated differently as you are a member (despite paying heavily for the privilege) and that you shouldnt have the right to discuss them in the public environment as they recommend people should other businesses. What makes the golf club so special?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In answer to your first question, being a member means there are responsibilities and also consequences to your actions. The ultimate consequence is that the club cancels your membership if they feel you have damaged the club sufficiently.

Complain on social media but be aware that consequence is an option for the club.

I expect if it got to the point I was complaining on social media and if the problem wasnt being addressed Id be ending my membership anyway, no different to any other business that wasnt delivering on a contract that I had paid for

Of course the club has options, Im not sure why think they should be able to exempt themselves from being publicly discussed