Consider myself told...

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I popped into my GC last night for a social pint and got talking to the pro. I spoke to him a few weeks back about lessons and was advised that given my non existent available practice time he didn't think lessons would do any good.

Last night he asked if at any point I was doing well and I told him it was up until the end of last year i was shooting mid 90's t (even a could of low 90's) then it suddenly dropped away. He asked if anything had changed in my setup and automatically I said no. He recommended a session on pre shot routine and setup and then we got talking about the footy.

It then dawned on me that there was a thread on here with an online video about grip change and how from then on I've been using a control grip where my right hand has crossed over my left more than before .Without hesitation he said to get back to my original grip as this would of has a huge impact on EVERYTHiNG else in my setup. He is DEFINATELY right as at the weekend is was having huge problems striking the ball and was setting up with the ball in different positions to counteract the issues. He said this would have know my weight distribution out which would effect backswing, down swing and follow through. After he described it in more detail it sounded ridiculously obvious and I'm kicking myself for tampering with dark forces I know very little about.

I'm off to the range tonight, daughter in tow, to hit some balls with my old grips and concentrating of ball position and weight distribution and simply getting the ball airborne. I will also be leaving my club setup alone but didn't telling him I'd been tampering :D

I know this small reversal wont turn me into a golfer overnight but compared to the last few months, I couldn't class myself as one anyway. Onwards and upwards

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I popped into my GC last night for a social pint and got talking to the pro. I spoke to him a few weeks back about lessons and was advised that given my non existent available practice time he didn't think lessons would do any good.

Last night he asked if at any point I was doing well and I told him it was up until the end of last year i was shooting mid 90's t (even a could of low 90's) then it suddenly dropped away. He asked if anything had changed in my setup and automatically I said no. He recommended a session on pre shot routine and setup and then we got talking about the footy.

It then dawned on me that there was a thread on here with an online video about grip change and how from then on I've been using a control grip where my right hand has crossed over my left more than before .Without hesitation he said to get back to my original grip as this would of has a huge impact on EVERYTHiNG else in my setup. He is DEFINATELY right as at the weekend is was having huge problems striking the ball and was setting up with the ball in different positions to counteract the issues. He said this would have know my weight distribution out which would effect backswing, down swing and follow through. After he described it in more detail it sounded ridiculously obvious and I'm kicking myself for tampering with dark forces I know very little about.

I'm off to the range tonight, daughter in tow, to hit some balls with my old grips and concentrating of ball position and weight distribution and simply getting the ball airborne. I will also be leaving my club setup alone but didn't telling him I'd been tampering :D

I know this small reversal wont turn me into a golfer overnight but compared to the last few months, I couldn't class myself as one anyway. Onwards and upwards

I know what you mean about when it being explained it's so simple.

I had a similar experience with my pro in my last lesson. There was an aspect of what he was showing me I couldn't get my head around. He showed me and explained why it happens and, more importantly, what it causes.

It's a strange feeling from feeling clueless on a point to understanding in the space of a few minutes :mad:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd love to be able to identify my own faults like that! As it is, the first two minutes of my lessons tend to see me go from hopeless hacker to world beater. I tend to revert to hopeless hacker a random number of weeks after the lesson, then practice hard, return to pro in a frustrated way and repeat until Pro has saved enough money to retire.

Jay Gee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd love to be able to identify my own faults like that! As it is, the first two minutes of my lessons tend to see me go from hopeless hacker to world beater. I tend to revert to hopeless hacker a random number of weeks after the lesson, then practice hard, return to pro in a frustrated way and repeat until Pro has saved enough money to retire.

Lol, reminds me of a recent thread where someone was calling all pros money grabbing con artists! Not implying that you're suggesting that at all though.

It would be great if we all just needed a simple tweak like the OP, or better still, be able to self diagnose as you mention.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you show the pro your grip and set up, old and new?

I'm just thinking it's a possibility that your new grip is better than the old, but other things need tweaking that the grip change has caused?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So Kev , should we expect a new transformed golfer at our Matfen Hall meet next weekend......??
And a cut coming soon......??

Go on kev!
Get the matfen meet won

Guys this is not going to make me a good golfer (although I wish it would) I'm still a MAX handicapper and this will just get me back to my previous setup before my unfounded mofication on grip so Steve can start breaking things down properly for me. Once this is back to normal a setup lesson is something I can practice anywhere and not just at the range or on the course.

I'm off to Gosforth for a range session as the wife is on the sick and can watch the little'n

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you show the pro your grip and set up, old and new?

I'm just thinking it's a possibility that your new grip is better than the old, but other things need tweaking that the grip change has caused?

I did and although he did say the new grip was a controlling grip, it was really for very good ball strikers looking to get more feel and control with the short irons. My issue with irons has been hitting the ball fat and apparently this can be caused by my wrists not releasing in sync with my body, meaning by the time I connect with the ball I'm still on my downswing and my hips have already cleared

Apparently my old grip allows more movement in the wrists and allows the clubface to swing through easier, resolving the above issue (I hope). By getting my swing right Steve said my weight distribution would also sort itself out and allow me to setup with the ball in the same correct place consistently