Driver question - weights etc

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Been struggling with the big stick recently so I’ve decided to tinker a little. I have just visited my golf repair guy who I’ve used a lot recently due to a bit of bad luck.

I asked him to chop down the shaft to which he explained he would only take a certain amount off to begin with (3/4”) and that I would need a heavier weight to balance it out at the head. He then took out my current weight which was 23grams.

Now I have always been under the impression my G425 max came with a 26g weight as it says this all across the board on the specs that I have read. Would there be a reason why this came with 23g and not the 26g which is advertised pretty much everywhere?

He then has asked me to purchase a 27/28g weight which I can tinker about with between two, with the option of taking more off if I wanted if I wasn’t happy with what I’ve got.

Now will these weights really make a difference especially when you’re just an average golfer?

There is no doubt the shaft was too long. Lots of heel strikes. It’s the only club in the bag I struggle with and I’ve played enough golf to know something isn’t right. I’ve had numerous driver lessons and I believe I have just wasted a lot of money when the simple fix was a shortened shaft.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple question, and I know it's not what you asked, but did you try just gripping down an inch lower before you resorted to cutting bits off and changing weights?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Did you buy it new?
It sounds like its been swing-weighted to feel a bit lighter with a 23g weight.
If you can, I'd try swinging with the 23g weight in before buying a new weight. It may not feel hugely different
It depends how sensitive to a change in SW of a couple of points...many people won't feel it.
Most driver shafts are too long these days..mine is 3/4 inch shorter than yours as standard..
Much easier to control.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Simple question, and I know it's not what you asked, but did you try just gripping down an inch lower before you resorted to cutting bits off and changing weights?
Yes with improvement.

But felt ridiculous. See picture attached.
Did you buy it new?
It sounds like its been swing-weighted to feel a bit lighter with a 23g weight.
If you can, I'd try swinging with the 23g weight in before buying a new weight. It may not feel hugely different
It depends how sensitive to a change in SW of a couple of points...many people won't feel it.
Most driver shafts are too long these days..mine is 3/4 inch shorter than yours as standard..
Much easier to control.

Brought it BN fitted at AG.

Strange the weight is less as I opted for a Alta 55 s shaft which I believe is lighter than the standard 65 s. Surely the weight shouldn’t have been downsized when the shaft I purchased was lighter than most?

Attachments

• 1a951b05-0413-4871-8ee1-be1d5c7c12a7.jpeg
    1a951b05-0413-4871-8ee1-be1d5c7c12a7.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 43

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Ping drivers fitted with the Ping reg shaft are normally 55g (the 3 / 5 & 7 woods are 65g)
The new Alta Quick Senior shaft in the G430 comes in 35g & 45g.

Always a compromise cutting the shaft, as you'll loose a bit of club head speed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes with improvement.

But felt ridiculous. See picture attached.

Brought it BN fitted at AG.

Strange the weight is less as I opted for a Alta 55 s shaft which I believe is lighter than the standard 65 s. Surely the weight shouldn’t have been downsized when the shaft I purchased was lighter than most?

I am not a coach /teacher but I would comment on that photo that you are bent over too much hence why the shaft feels too long and it can also be seen that one result is that the club head is toe up.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Been struggling with the big stick recently so I’ve decided to tinker a little. I have just visited my golf repair guy who I’ve used a lot recently due to a bit of bad luck.

I asked him to chop down the shaft to which he explained he would only take a certain amount off to begin with (3/4”) and that I would need a heavier weight to balance it out at the head. He then took out my current weight which was 23grams.

Now I have always been under the impression my G425 max came with a 26g weight as it says this all across the board on the specs that I have read. Would there be a reason why this came with 23g and not the 26g which is advertised pretty much everywhere?

He then has asked me to purchase a 27/28g weight which I can tinker about with between two, with the option of taking more off if I wanted if I wasn’t happy with what I’ve got.

Now will these weights really make a difference especially when you’re just an average golfer?

There is no doubt the shaft was too long. Lots of heel strikes. It’s the only club in the bag I struggle with and I’ve played enough golf to know something isn’t right. I’ve had numerous driver lessons and I believe I have just wasted a lot of money when the simple fix was a shortened shaft.
The 23g weight is usually in the G425 SFT. Maybe someone swapped it out while tinkering and forgot to put it back?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I am not a coach /teacher but I would comment on that photo that you are bent over too much hence why the shaft feels too long and it can also be seen that one result is that the club head is toe up.
I’ve tried many different set ups with the same result. Ball strikes out the heel.

After playing with it yesterday it is much improved and the confidence is back. I’ve only just realised I had some taken off the shaft last year and that was when it made me feel great stepping up to the tee. That shaft broke about 6 months ago which would make perfect sense as my game has dipped ever since i got my replacement. I just forgot to chop it down.

The 23g weight is usually in the G425 SFT. Maybe someone swapped it out while tinkering and forgot to put it back?

I’ve purchased 28g’s.

Would anyone know if this would gain me more distance than the 23g weight already in. I’m not actually too bothered more interested if there is a difference.

I’ll be tinkering about when it arrives for sure

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would anyone know if this would gain me more distance than the 23g weight already in

Very, Very, very unlikely...unless you find that the shorter shaft helps you find the middle of the face more.

When swinging at 95mph, 5g of weight difference will have negligible impacr

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve tried many different set ups with the same result. Ball strikes out the heel.

After playing with it yesterday it is much improved and the confidence is back. I’ve only just realised I had some taken off the shaft last year and that was when it made me feel great stepping up to the tee. That shaft broke about 6 months ago which would make perfect sense as my game has dipped ever since i got my replacement. I just forgot to chop it down.

I’ve purchased 28g’s.

Would anyone know if this would gain me more distance than the 23g weight already in. I’m not actually too bothered more interested if there is a difference.

I’ll be tinkering about when it arrives for sure
The weights are not generally about distance, they're for forgiveness and squaring the face up. Having said that, hitting it with a square face would get you more consistent distance I guess.