Technology and lessons

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As good as the new tech is for lessons, how many people walk in and are completely clueless to what it all means, get baffled by the lingo and walk out even more confused.
There is boys at my club who can barely handle whatsapp never mind understand force traces and physics lessons.

I honestly think pros have a really hard job teaching someone complex movements with the obvious time constraints in normal lessons. Factor in they won't see the pupil for a week or more and they are off doing god knows what in the mean time.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Hey, whatever gets the job done.

My mate is a plumb bobber. He's a great putter and reader of greens. He's tried to get me doing it, but it doesn't register with me at all. Same with aim point. Not for me at all... but if it that's what works for someone, fill your boots!

Plum bobbing. Now, if we are talking about a pointless way of over complicating things, plum bobbing has to be right at the top of the list.

Albo

Visit site
Plum bobbing. Now, if we are talking about a pointless way of over complicating things, plum bobbing has to be right at the top of the list.
Putting is a confidence game, whatever gives you confidence you should stick to, the technical benefits matter not a jot in comparison to confidence

D

Deleted member 1147

As good as the new tech is for lessons, how many people walk in and are completely clueless to what it all means, get baffled by the lingo and walk out even more confused.
There is boys at my club who can barely handle whatsapp never mind understand force traces and physics lessons.

I honestly think pros have a really hard job teaching someone complex movements with the obvious time constraints in normal lessons. Factor in they won't see the pupil for a week or more and they are off doing god knows what in the mean time.
Most people I play with I can see what they do wrong. But I haven’t a clue how to put them right.
That’s the skill set pros must have. Even the useless ones without tech.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There's a certain irony in people using personal technological devices to argue the merits of aimpoint, which doesn't use any technology whatsoever.. :unsure: 😂

HPIMG

Visit site
Guys also looking for opinions. My 9 year old son has recently took a interest in golf I would take him out once a week in summer and now it’s winter I’ve been taking him to the range once a week.
He’s hitting the ball well naturally and really enjoying it. I was wanting to start getting him lessons. Should I stay away from the pro that does it by the eye ? He is a nice guy but he is telling me I’m doing stuff I’m not. How do you get junior golfers better just play more or lessons? Just find it hard trying to get him out in winter, weathers been terrible. I would like to really get him into golf and don’t mind paying a coach to work with him weekly until he’s an adult. I would love my son to play golf for a living and I could caddy for him 😀

BiMGuy

Visit site
There's a certain irony in people using personal technological devices to argue the merits of aimpoint, which doesn't use any technology whatsoever.. :unsure: 😂
Except, almost everyone that uses aimpoint properly will have used a digital level (or other level) of some description to train themselves to recognise the gradient of a slope. 🤦‍♂️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Guys also looking for opinions. My 9 year old son has recently took a interest in golf I would take him out once a week in summer and now it’s winter I’ve been taking him to the range once a week.
He’s hitting the ball well naturally and really enjoying it. I was wanting to start getting him lessons. Should I stay away from the pro that does it by the eye ? He is a nice guy but he is telling me I’m doing stuff I’m not. How do you get junior golfers better just play more or lessons? Just find it hard trying to get him out in winter, weathers been terrible. I would like to really get him into golf and don’t mind paying a coach to work with him weekly until he’s an adult. I would love my son to play golf for a living and I could caddy for him 😀

Had mine in a junior academy until he was around nine, but in winter it really wasn’t much fun for him - with the pro spending more time with the kids who could barely make contact with the ball - fair enough.
Switched over to individual lessons around once every 5 weeks, indoors so it’s warm, and each session is tailored to Jamie rather than a group.
For us, that works better - he’s 13 now so plays on his own or with mates - so one thing I would say is get out with your kid as much as possible, cos that period when they are reliant on you doesn’t last long, and they truly are golden times.

D

Deleted member 1147

I already use orange tees lol so higher tee was not an option. Just had to get used to brushing the grass on my practice swing. It has helped but still needs work.
I was actually told to use a lower tee to assist in sweeping the ball up rather than going higher.
Most of my PPs who hit down actually use higher tees than me.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How do you get junior golfers better just play more or lessons? Just find it hard trying to get him out in winter, weathers been terrible. I would like to really get him into golf and don’t mind paying a coach to work with him weekly until he’s an adult. I would love my son to play golf for a living and I could caddy for him 😀
That's not a good idea. Forcing him to go is the fastest way to turn him against you and golf.
Tell him you're going to the range and if he asks to come with you, fine, if he doesn't, leave it.
And weekly lessons will probably bore him

BiMGuy

Visit site
That's not a good idea. Forcing him to go is the fastest way to turn him against you and golf.
Tell him you're going to the range and if he asks to come with you, fine, if he doesn't, leave it.
And weekly lessons will probably bore him
👆🏻This and this again.

If th kid doesn’t get the bug it’s just miserable for everyone.

My lad has been into golf on and off for years, it’s only in the last few months that he’s become properly into it and wants to play in all weather.

Our club does group junior sessions, there are some kids there who do not want to be there and are just cold and uninterested. Being made to go will just put them off as they aren’t having any fun.

Take him to a range with top tracer and let him play the games that he finds fun.

Weekly lessons are just expensive supervised practice

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
We all feel slopes on the green through our feet which gives us information on which way a putt will move.

Thats aimpoint. We all use it whether you think you do or not.
Tosh. You look at the slopes and walk to the hole and back. Not many people stand on them to specifically to gauge a slope.

sunshine

Visit site

MOD EDIT: ITS XMAS DAY. MAYBE A BIT OF GOODWILL TO ALL MEN…

Last edited by a moderator: