Technology and lessons

HPIMG

Visit site
I have been having problems with my driver for the past few months. I struggle to launch it higher than 9 degrees. So been getting lessons with my usual pro, he does everything by eye and he was saying I’m coming over the top and hitting down. Tried to fix this for two lessons no change.
I then went to a pro I know who uses GC quad turns out I have a very neutral swing path and I hit up on the ball it’s just I started hitting out of the bottom of the driver.
Can lessons be effective just with the eye or are we now at a point where effective lessons are technology focused ?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i dont know how anyone can accurately say what you are doing without technology.

for sure, some lessons can be effective….but you really should be given the data to prove the point the teacher is trying to make

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I found that technology made a huge difference to understanding what I was doing, and video made it far easier to see where I was with any changes. The ‘good old days’ of doing it by eye are, thankfully, long gone.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lesson without technology is a not a lesson. It is back to the guesses and random try this try that of pros of old. Close relation to astrology in terms of its helpfulness.

Technology has transformed, and is still evolving, golf instruction from half backed scienceless waffle, to truly guiding understanding of and improvement of the golf swing.
The next evolution will be real time 3d motion capture with force measurement as standard. Golf instruction has bypassed golf pros, and is now the realm of technicians and those with a science background rather than being able to hit a ball well themselves. Being a good golfer is irrelevant to coaching.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely only the very best and most experienced Pros can see a difference of, say, 2 or 3 degrees in angle of attack by eye.?
General mechanics of the swing doesn't necessarily need LM but when you need to know AoA, dynamic lie, strike point etc etc...you need the tech.

Albo

Visit site
My initial thought when you started was you were hitting down on the ball, it’s the obvious thing, but in this instance it’s the wrong thing!
Technology takes some of the guess work out of it.
Why have a lesson without when they are available with technology? The same teaching pro must be better with than without

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Technology in the hands of the wrong pro can also be very dangerous. A good coach is a good coach with or without the tech. The tech should only compliment the fundamental of a decent coaches eye.…. In my experience and opinion

HPIMG

Visit site
A good coach only needs to watch the ball's flight to know whats going on
I had the odd ball that I would launch good but it would slice, by the eye pro would say yea that’s you really coming over the top. The gc quad pro when I hit the high slice said you don’t swing over the top at all you have just left the face open at impact.
So would the by the eye pro just not be very good then he’s just guessing because I’m guessing doing it by the eye and seeing stuff in a split second you would need to have some special sort of X men powers ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the ball starts right then slices then the swing path is fairly straight.
The ball starts right because the face is pointing right and slices because the face is open to the swing path.
Solution....check for a weak grip

D

Deleted member 1147

A good pro can spot a lot of issues by eye, hell even I can sometimes.
But the tech can help spot the smaller issues and can help confirm thoughts.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Lots of "that depends" in this thread!😊

If you know the tech detail of what is happening, still takes a good pro to tell you what is causing it, AND how to correct it/maintain it. All conveyed in a way that the player can digest and implement.

You can get great lessons without tech. You can get poor lessons with it! And vice versa😁😁

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The technology exists and works. A good coach will use it to enhance their own service. If they’re not using it, then they’re not a good coach..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lesson without technology is a not a lesson. It is back to the guesses and random try this try that of pros of old. Close relation to astrology in terms of its helpfulness.

Technology has transformed, and is still evolving, golf instruction from half backed scienceless waffle, to truly guiding understanding of and improvement of the golf swing.
Needless to say I disagree with that rubbish.
Why don't you get off your backside, get down to 4 h/cap, do the 3 year PGA course, get your degree and then see if you still think it's scienceless waffle-like astrology