Competition: What golf glove do you wear and why?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
We're looking for some anecdotal insight into what glove you wear and the reasons behind it. It might be as simple as price or brand loyalty or you might have a certain feel or look. And is there anything more that you'd like from a glove eg a wider range of colours that isn't generally on offer now? And what do you rely on in the rain?

At the end of the month we'll pick one respondent at random and he/she will receive half a dozen FootJoy premium performance gloves.

Thanks for your feedback...

This is my process:

Me: Hello Pro, I'd like a leather glove please. Medium.
Pro: Here you are, that'll be £xx please.
Me: Thank you.
Pro: Thank you.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use a carbretta leather glove for normal play and then rain-grip gloves when the weather is wet. I'm not too worried about the brand as long as they fit and they work, but the choice of colours is pretty limited for sure. I've bought my last carbretta leather gloves from Costco as they are a good price and have never given me any problems. For the rain grip, I'm currently using Footjoys, but again in the past I have used Golden Bear as well as the big name MacWet.
Colour wise, could I go with a glove that matches my outfit? It wouldn't bother me but as my outfit colour changes every week, that a lot of gloves.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Footjoy Cabrettasof here.
Combination of price, quality and that its thin enough that it doesn't annoy me and they don't stretch out like competitor gloves seem to (Srixon, looking at you here!).

Tried many makes and models, but like my shoes, always seem to come back to FJ.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Footjoy CabrettaSof

There is nothing better for me, it fits well, grips perfectly with few seams around the contact areas. The latter is what puts me off many other gloves, too many seams and panels which are generally the irritating or weak points in gloves. The CabrettaSof is the closest thing I've found to having a supple yet tough shield around my fingers, after all the only reason I wear the glove is to protect my interlocking grip from blisters. I like the feel and durability of natural soft leather, I've yet to find a synthetic glove that equals the combination of feel and durability that leather provides. Costwise I find they're great value as one glove will last me a whole season or more if kept dry, their only weakness, being leather they're more difficult to keep in good condition in the rain. Great glove, no hesitation in saying they're the best for my needs.

Footjoy Cabrettasof here.
Combination of price, quality and that its thin enough that it doesn't annoy me and they don't stretch out like competitor gloves seem to (Srixon, looking at you here!).

Tried many makes and models, but like my shoes, always seem to come back to FJ.

Right boys I've just ordered three of these - hoping they are decent

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve always worn the footjoy weather soft as I the durability is great, the grip very good and it will cope with a light shower well, this is also the same of the glove gets a little sweaty. Generally I find that all the leather gloves seem to wear and stretch too quickly hence.

My only criticism is that there seems inconsistency depending on where or when you buy them, some times they come with the newer 10p style marker where the FJ logo goes, sometimes there is no marker at all, but the jackpot for me is the older tiny popper style stud marker. If I find a store with this style I generally stock up.

For real wet weather I’ve tried the FJ rain grip which are fantastic grip wise and also keep your pinkies warm in the cold bitter mornings, but I find the one on my right hand has a habit of making my grip strong due to the thickness, for that reason I drift back to the thinner MacWets.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve always worn the footjoy weather soft as I the durability is great, the grip very good and it will cope with a light shower well, this is also the same of the glove gets a little sweaty. Generally I find that all the leather gloves seem to wear and stretch too quickly hence.

My only criticism is that there seems inconsistency depending on where or when you buy them, some times they come with the newer 10p style marker where the FJ logo goes, sometimes there is no marker at all, but the jackpot for me is the older tiny popper style stud marker. If I find a store with this style I generally stock up.

For real wet weather I’ve tried the FJ rain grip which are fantastic grip wise and also keep your pinkies warm in the cold bitter mornings, but I find the one on my right hand has a habit of making my grip strong due to the thickness, for that reason I drift back to the thinner MacWets.
Yeah, I realised I can't play with two gloves on. So I use one FJ rain grip glove on the left hand. I have the Wintersof gloves, but I take the right hand one off for full shots, otherwise I slice it way worse than normal, it's like I need to actually feel my right hand on the club properly.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I realised I can't play with two gloves on. So I use one FJ rain grip glove on the left hand. I have the Wintersof gloves, but I take the right hand one off for full shots, otherwise I slice it way worse than normal, it's like I need to actually feel my right hand on the club properly.

I find mine goes the other way, super strong on the bottom hand.

TigerBear

Visit site
I switch between TM tour and FJ Cabretta. Based purely on feel of the glove and aesthetics. I like a glove that is "less busy" and doesn't have too much going on which is why I go for those two.

In the heavy rain, I wear the FJ rain gloves, great investment and only just started wearing them. Where have they been all my life lol!

I wish Nike would release their tour gloves. Can't seem to buy them online and none of the usual online retailers ever have them in which is a shame as that would be my go to glove!

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
White FJ Cabretta for me due to force of habit. Always seem to wear the same one for too long until there are, at least, 2 or 3 holes in it.

Bought a new Under Armour glove about 3 weeks ago and it must have fallen out my bag as cant find it... Back to the FJ!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Played a few over the years,

Srixon cabretta - gave up on because they stretch about two sizes bigger after about 27 holes.
Titliest players - excellent but now over £20, hard to find and are a must try on because the size variance between gloves of the same advertised size is huge.
Callaway tour authentic - Excellent value deals were available last year and sizing is perfect for me, i believe they have a slightly smaller thumb than most, but recent iterations wear out in a flash!
Asbri cabretta, got given this, its surprised me, it has a large rubber velco pad that makes it seem cheap, but the leather is excellent and its hrld up well as a range / practice glove.
Footjoy Cabretta Sof, excellent except i struggle with sizing, the thumb always seems very slightly too long...?
Taylormade tour preferred- current holder of the title. Sizing is tiny out of the pack so fits like a second skin, as thin as a titliest players and much more durable. Just need to be lucky and find some deals to make them valuable enough to justify...

So my process is, try them on in person, buy one, play them for a couple of rounds while I still have one of my previous favourites spare, if they are up to muster i.e. dont stretch or wear or have any annoying foibles, scoure the internet for 3 for 2s etc. If they dont make the cut, use them at the range and keep an eye out for other options.

I keep trying to wean myself off them, but I cant...

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
We're looking for some anecdotal insight into what glove you wear and the reasons behind it. It might be as simple as price or brand loyalty or you might have a certain feel or look. And is there anything more that you'd like from a glove eg a wider range of colours that isn't generally on offer now? And what do you rely on in the rain?

At the end of the month we'll pick one respondent at random and he/she will receive half a dozen FootJoy premium performance gloves.

Thanks for your feedback...

I'm currently using a CaddyDaddy Claw glove, saw it recommended on instagram by a few amateurs that I follow so thought I'd give it a go. I have been very impressed so far, great fit, lots of grip and it is lasting very well.

Previously I've been using some old Nike gloves. I bought one in AG about 3 years ago, really liked it but when I went to buy more they'd stopped selling them, found someone on eb*y selling half a dozen of them and bought them to keep me going.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I only use wrap type grips on my clubs specifically because I don't wear a glove.

Back in the early sixties when I started to play, I had leather grips and didn't wear a glove.
Then the "Victory" and other similar rubber grips were all the rage, and I started wearing a glove although I didn't really like them.
Then the simulated leather wrap-style grips were introduced, and I ditched the glove.
That's where I am now.