Golf Glove Wear!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it is a grip issue as I never have a blister usually after a round.

I think its something to do with my thumbs probably bending back more at the joint than most and the joint being where I mainly grip the club when trying to have a straight thumb due to it curling back towards my head away from the shaft slightly.
your not getting blisters because your glove is taking all the friction.
it sounds like a grip problem .
Try a couple of range practice sessions without a glove and you will see the skin redden.
Or wear a glove (old one ) but cut the worn thumb out you will soon know if your grip is moving.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's possible that I don't play as much golf as you guys. It's also possible that I keep a glove going past its use by date because I'm tight but I can pretty much get a season out of a glove. At worst I'll use 2 in a year.

A new one every three rounds has to add up over the course of a season 😕

This is basically what I was thinking. Maybe other people's definition of a 'worn out' glove is different to mine, but I tend to only get through about two a year as well. To be honest I'm not really concerned until it has a hole in it or something. :lol:

Edit: this surely depends on what type of glove people are using as well. Real leather or synthetic for example.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have historicially worn gloves quite quickly compared to others. However whilst I have tried to alter my grip a fraction, I have found the Callaway Dawn Patrol an excellent leather glove to wear for comfort and longevity of life, so much so in that I cannot ever remember 1 glove lasting as long as the current one has.

Picked up 3 Callaway cabretta leather gloves from Costco for £17 yesterday. Don't know if they're any good, but happy to give them a try at that price. See if they can last a bit longer than the Mizuno, which was worse than the FJ.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I end up using a glove for about 2-3 months at a time. That's playing 1-2 times a week with about 1-2 times driving range and practice as well. I use Puma/Callaway/Footjoy gloves

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used to wear a glove out in a couple of games, that was thumb and palm.

gone back to a much lighter grip with a longer thumb position and now one lasts months with little or no wear on them, got about 3 in the bag at the moment that are at least 6 months old and are starting to look a bit grubby and dirty more than anything

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are these the ones that are non conforming for competitions?
Just read an old topic on this forum about them. I find it bizarre that any glove can be classed under non-conforming.

The description on AG website doesn't mention anything about it being non-conforming. Surely they should be forced to mention that before people unwittingly order a load of them for competition play??

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
yes, they are and they do state it on the packaging. When I ordered my through my Pro for the 1st time, he advised that they are non conforming.

Fortunately, I have a medical exemption and to be honest would struggle playing a full round without it on.

I carry two or three in the bag just in case of dampness or sweatyness.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read an old topic on this forum about them. I find it bizarre that any glove can be classed under non-conforming.

The description on AG website doesn't mention anything about it being non-conforming. Surely they should be forced to mention that before people unwittingly order a load of them for competition play??

I think I've just googled the same thread. What a load of old horlicks.

Neither AG nor Clubhouse golf mentioned the illegality of the glove in the blurb. A golf glove illegal 😱, bizarre.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have one and obviously won't get one, wouldn't want to fail the 1st tee glove inspection 😁. I just find it odd that a glove can be illegal and, having read the old thread, can get people so worked up.
Same as any other piece of equipment. Would you not be bothered about a non conforming driver, a ball?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Used the Callaway glove from Costco last night, very nice indeed. Nice soft cabretta leather, a bargain at £5.50 each. Changed my thumb to the short thumb position, whilst not particularly comfortable, not a mark on the glove after the round (12 holes). Will persevere to see how it goes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same as any other piece of equipment. Would you not be bothered about a non conforming driver, a ball?

The key pieces of equipment in golf are the ball and clubs. The aim of the game is to use the clubs to get the ball in the hole. The glove merely helps you hold the club, prevents blisters. The glove does not move the ball towards the hole.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key pieces of equipment in golf are the ball and clubs. The aim of the game is to use the clubs to get the ball in the hole. The glove merely helps you hold the club, prevents blisters. The glove does not move the ball towards the hole.
Non conformity applies to all of them. You can’t ignore one & not the other. If someone uses the glove without a medical certificate it’s certainly breaking the rules. You can’t choose which to uphold and which to enforce. I wouldn’t use the c word, but I suspect the non conforming driver, groove & glove rule are broken regularly.
What advantages that gives is another conversation

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Non conformity applies to all of them. You can’t ignore one & not the other. If someone uses the glove without a medical certificate it’s certainly breaking the rules. You can’t choose which to uphold and which to enforce. I wouldn’t use the c word, but I suspect the non conforming driver, groove & glove rule are broken regularly.
What advantages that gives is another conversation
Your last sentence I think is what he was getting at. How much advantage can a different glove really give you? Nowhere near the advantage of a non-conforming driver or ball surely. All it has is a bit of extra padding at the joints by the look of it. I would have to use one to see what the benefits were (and I'm not going to waste money on a glove I can't use in comps), but I just can't see how it would improve performance so much that someone decided it ought to be banned!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your last sentence I think is what he was getting at. How much advantage can a different glove really give you? Nowhere near the advantage of a non-conforming driver or ball surely. All it has is a bit of extra padding at the joints by the look of it. I would have to use one to see what the benefits were (and I'm not going to waste money on a glove I can't use in comps), but I just can't see how it would improve performance so much that someone decided it ought to be banned!

Yup, this. I have mentioned already that I would not wear a glove that was against the rules in comps. If a glove is magic, how about shoes that give extra stability and transfer energy? Do they add extra distance to your drives? It is nonsense. Balls and clubs can be non conforming as they directly affect the game. Gloves, pah.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yup, this. I have mentioned already that I would not wear a glove that was against the rules in comps. If a glove is magic, how about shoes that give extra stability and transfer energy? Do they add extra distance to your drives? It is nonsense. Balls and clubs can be non conforming as they directly affect the game. Gloves, pah.

Well, luckily it is not up to you to decide the rules. If something is non conforming, it is exactly that.

I have tried this glove, and can see exactly why it is non conforming. Due to the design, it makes you grip the club properly. It is the glove equivalent of a practice grip.