Golf Glove Wear!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, luckily it is not up to you to decide the rules. If something is non conforming, it is exactly that.

I have tried this glove, and can see exactly why it is non conforming. Due to the design, it makes you grip the club properly. It is the glove equivalent of a practice grip.
Everyone's grip is different anyway though. I imagine if I tried this glove and it made me grip the club differently it would feel alien and wrong. Not much advantage in that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone's grip is different anyway though. I imagine if I tried this glove and it made me grip the club differently it would feel alien and wrong. Not much advantage in that.
Thy don’t make you grip any real differently, they just give a better grip with less pressure required. Ideally they would be for arthritic hand sufferers or similar with a recognised and certificated medical condition.
I have tried them, and the benefits are noticeable.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fortunately, I have a medical exemption and to be honest would struggle playing a full round without it on.

I had no idea such a thing existed!

The key pieces of equipment in golf are the ball and clubs. The aim of the game is to use the clubs to get the ball in the hole. The glove merely helps you hold the club, prevents blisters. The glove does not move the ball towards the hole.

That's rubbish. The hand (with or without a glove) is the only thing connecting the player to the club. A bit like the tyres on a car to the road. Would you find it acceptable if the Ferrari F1 team had access to better tyres than the other teams?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's rubbish. The hand (with or without a glove) is the only thing connecting the player to the club. A bit like the tyres on a car to the road. Would you find it acceptable if the Ferrari F1 team had access to better tyres than the other teams?
I don't think that's a great analogy, since everyone would have access to said tyres, and everyone has access to these gloves simply by purchasing one.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think that's a great analogy, since everyone would have access to said tyres, and everyone has access to these gloves simply by purchasing one.

You have clearly missed the point, I said 1 team had access to better tyres than the rest. And the fact remains in the rules of golf that you cannot use training aids (which the glove in question is) during competitions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have clearly missed the point, I said 1 team had access to better tyres than the rest. And the fact remains in the rules of golf that you cannot use training aids (which the glove in question is) during competitions.
That's fair enough. I would have to have a close look at one to understand why it's banned. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen one in an actual shop, only online, so chances of that are slim really.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Used the Callaway glove from Costco last night, very nice indeed. Nice soft cabretta leather, a bargain at £5.50 each. Changed my thumb to the short thumb position, whilst not particularly comfortable, not a mark on the glove after the round (12 holes). Will persevere to see how it goes.

Have been in the same glove for almost a month now, 2 - 4 times a week on the course and a half dozen range sessions. Some slight wear, but still no hole in the thumb :D Found this video, which describes pretty much the problem I was having, and the same remedy I have been trying. My current glove looks very similar to his "normal wear" example.

[video=youtube;0B8w6T7YfsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B8w6T7YfsY[/video]

Very happy with the Callaway gloves for a fiver each, a fantastic buy.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Hi all,

Just wondering how often you go through gloves?

I find myself really struggling to get more than 3 rounds out of a glove.

This is mainly due to wear around the thumb joint, I completely loose all leather and I'm left with that greyish spot.

The gloves I have been using are Footjoy and Callaway and like most of us Id like to have a little bit more wear from them.

Any advice?

Cheers

I use the footjoy allweather gloves, the black ones. They last for months. Tend to buy a pack of three every 18 months.

Have used cabretta leather gloves that give up after a session at the range.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use the Callaway tour cabretta leather glove. Have done for years and would hate to change. Tried cheaper gloves and ditched immediately - feel was horrible in comparisons. I would get 1-2 months out of mine - 20 or so rounds. I change mine more frequently than my mates as I am fussier. Getting 3 uses out of a glove is shocking

Once ditched they will be used for range work until holes appear.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just re-raising this as a point of info. I've been having some regular lessons over the past 14 months. One of the first things he did was change my grip, and reaffirm me on it in nearly every lesson. I'm currently using the same Callaway glove I opened in September, with not a wear mark on it, not even a little nick. I've been playing and practising a fair bit since then. It seems the grip really was my issue at least, and changing it has certainly improved the life of gloves that were on occasion only lasting a round our two, quite literally.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Are the gloves the correct size, should be almost like a second skin.
What about the condition of the club grips I've seen some guys clubs and wonder how they manage to hold onto them the grips are so worn.
I'd say it's more likely how the club is held, no way a glove should be holed after a few rounds.
I use about 4 per season.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a thought, but have any of you guys tried playing without a glove?
I don't just mean for a few shots, I mean for at least one complete round.
Many, many years ago I dropped my glove early doors. Played the rest of the round without one, and this was on a hot Spanish day, and realised it quickly became a non-issue.
I've never worn one since, except my MacWets when it's raining.
Try it, you may be surprised.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Boredom must be getting to us

bringing up a 2 year old thread.

not specifically, but something I was meaning to update for a little while. Pointless starting a new thread when the relevance is in this one. Just thought it a useful tidbit of info, that the grip change has been directly responsible for going from boring holes in gloves in the space of 36 holes, to not even remotely nicking them over 7 months.