Golf Glove Wear!!

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering how often you go through gloves?

I find myself really struggling to get more than 3 rounds out of a glove.

This is mainly due to wear around the thumb joint, I completely loose all leather and I'm left with that greyish spot.

The gloves I have been using are Footjoy and Callaway and like most of us Id like to have a little bit more wear from them.

Any advice?

Cheers

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have exactly the same issue. Use FJ Sciflex but changed recently because I’m burning through them too quickly. Tried switching to Mizuno Tour, great feeling glove, decent price around a tenner, but first one holed after 27 holes.....

Sounds like you grip with a “long thumb”, I.e. thumb extended with the joint against the grip. You could try the “short thumb”, where you bend the thumb so that only the end of the thumb touches the grip. I did that for a while, it works, but for some reason I slipped back into old habits.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have historicially worn gloves quite quickly compared to others. However whilst I have tried to alter my grip a fraction, I have found the Callaway Dawn Patrol an excellent leather glove to wear for comfort and longevity of life, so much so in that I cannot ever remember 1 glove lasting as long as the current one has.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are wearing the leather that quickly then there has to be a fundamental flaw in your grip setup. Something is loose or something is moving to cause the friction that is causing the wear ?

Indeed. I'm sure I saw an article somewhere (maybe GM or another mag in paper) which related various wear patterns with grip, and swing, faults.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it is a grip issue as I never have a blister usually after a round.

I think its something to do with my thumbs probably bending back more at the joint than most and the joint being where I mainly grip the club when trying to have a straight thumb due to it curling back towards my head away from the shaft slightly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's possible that I don't play as much golf as you guys. It's also possible that I keep a glove going past its use by date because I'm tight but I can pretty much get a season out of a glove. At worst I'll use 2 in a year.

A new one every three rounds has to add up over the course of a season 😕

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's possible that I don't play as much golf as you guys. It's also possible that I keep a glove going past its use by date because I'm tight but I can pretty much get a season out of a glove. At worst I'll use 2 in a year.

A new one every three rounds has to add up over the course of a season 😕

I can make one last for a season and I play loads during the summer. I usually put them in my practice bag after 6 months as they look so tatty. I usually wear out the Velcro before the leather gets worn or they just become hardened due to moisture/sweat.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
2/3 will last me a season comfortably. 50-60 rounds and 30-40 range sessions. If you're wearing one out after 3 rounds then something is wrong somewhere....

D

Deleted member 15344

2/3 will last me a season comfortably. 50-60 rounds and 30-40 range sessions. If you're wearing one out after 3 rounds then something is wrong somewhere....

Yep

Considering how much i play ( about 20 rounds per month ) a leather glove lasts me at least two months and easily a third during the winter - I do change it every two months though

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i depends how soft the glove is. there is a autographed titleist tour soft in the bar at the belfry signed by adam scott. it wasn't even a round old and it was shredded at the thumb and heel pad

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine last a few weeks, maybe a month. I like my gloves in tip top condition. It is after all what connects you to the club.
Amazing that people go a season with one glove! Yet will probably insist on playing pro v1’s and exotic shafts!

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine last a few weeks, maybe a month. I like my gloves in tip top condition. It is after all what connects you to the club.
Amazing that people go a season with one glove! Yet will probably insist on playing pro v1’s and exotic shafts!

I don't agree, mine lasts a whole season as I wash it, and use leather feed on it (originally bought for my car seats lol)
i personally thing its how you look after a glove will determine how it lasts

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I change glove a 3/4 times a season, I like them quite tight and find that after a few rounds they feel a bit loose. I keep the old ones in the bag so If they get wet or dirty I can change mid round.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine last for months, been using the same one all winter albeit I haven’t been playing often. Mine usually wear on the thumb but I don’t mind looking a bit tatty 😉