Competition: What golf glove do you wear and why?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
We're looking for some anecdotal insight into what glove you wear and the reasons behind it. It might be as simple as price or brand loyalty or you might have a certain feel or look. And is there anything more that you'd like from a glove eg a wider range of colours that isn't generally on offer now? And what do you rely on in the rain?

At the end of the month we'll pick one respondent at random and he/she will receive half a dozen FootJoy premium performance gloves.

Thanks for your feedback...

Attachments

• HyperFLX Grip.png
    HyperFLX Grip.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm actually wearing the Footjoy GTxtreme now. I tried a lot of different gloves last year, including the 'one size fits all' ones, but ultimately nothing fits my hand better than the FJ medium size, so I've gone back to them. I like the kind of bobbly grip texture on this glove too (don't know what they call that).

I would like it if FJ did a kind of summery one with a lot more bigger mesh areas on the back to stop your hand sweating.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm currently wearing a Footjoy glove, I think it is FJ Pro, that was kindly given to me for free by FJ as part of a focus group day. It's actually very comfy and I will keep getting them once it has worn past its best. It is soft to put on, feels nice, wears well, looks smart. Previously I was a sucker for Mizuno, 2 for £10 at the AG desk. They did the job but the FJ glove is nicer and I will pay the extra now.

I'd like funkier trim colours. Not the whole glove, that would be too much, but a bit of vibrancy would make them more appealing to me.

I currently use Mizuno Rain Gloves in the wet. They work brilliantly well. I did buy a FJ rain glove previously but it was a single not a pair and a single rain glove just doesn't work for me.

RichA

Visit site
I've got shovel hands but relatively short fingers, so use Mizuno Comp Cadet in the summer, although they still aren't wide enough.
Started using MacWet when it got cold, both hands. Really nice gloves and loads of sizes, one of which fits perfectly. Just a little too warm to wear now it's warmed up.

wjemather

Visit site
Ping Tour at the moment in the absence of FootJoy CabrettaSof/ProFLX/HyperFLX stock at our pro shop; and FootJoy RainGrip when things start getting slippery. Fit and value for money are the biggest factors for me in choosing a glove, and I've rarely had an issue with FootJoy aside from a spell a few years ago when the thumbs were massive. Gloves have to be reasonably durable; no-one should be churning £15+ on a glove every other time they play.

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the dry - Ping Tour. Find them a perfect fit and don't make my hands sweat when it gets warm. Plus I'm a pathetic Ping fan boy.
In the wet - MacWets - how well they work in the wet is witchcraft.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Footjoy stasof, tried pretty much everything and nothing else compares. I buy in bulk from the club pro because I’m a women’s Medium/Large size and it’s hard to find them anywhere. The gloves not the women.

They are a perfect fit, soft feel and last plenty long, though my last batch is running out so this may be a timely intervention ?

In the rain a small pair footjoy rain gloves pair works, the right glove fits perfectly and even though the left is a tiny bit long it’s way better than no glove or a leather one. I have two pairs for the really bad days and switch after 9. Couldnt imagine gripping a club without one in the wet.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm quite likin the Rife Cabretta leather gloves that AmericanGolf sell.....find them a good, cheaper alternative to Footjoy Sta-Sofs and Titleists Players and Perma-Soft gloves. They are comfortable, fit my small hands nicely and are seemingly hard wearing.

In the rain you cant beat a trusty pair of Macwets.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Footjoy Weathersof for me as well - it wasn't too expensive, seem pretty robust & they had them in stock in the proshop.
Footjoy Raingrip in the wet/colder weather - again, they were in the proshop but have had several pairs of these and they just work so well for me.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
In the dry: FootJoy CabrettaSof - small
In warm rain: FootJoy WeatherSof - small
In cold rain: FootJoy RainGrip Pair - medium
In very cold weather: FootJoy WinterSof Pair - medium

I've tried TaylorMade, Mizuno and Callaway, but I find that FootJoy seem to fit my hands the best, so I stick with them.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Currently use the Taylormade TP glove, very soft feeling, seem to stand up to wear and tear and the fit seems good for my hand. They can also be found at good discount / Bulk deals.
I use Footjoy winter and rain gloves when the weather is not ideal for leather gloves

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Currently wearing a Srixon Cabretta Premium Leather glove - good price for a leather glove - good deals at times and I just love the comfortable feel!

Autumn/ winter/ rainsy days I wear a very boring Srixon all weather glove - cannot fault the glove at all for its price!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently using a FootJoy CabrettaSof.

What I want from a glove, something that allow UV rays through so I don’t have different colour hands at the end of the summer.????

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
i used to always wear the Srixon Cabretta but their sizing (M/L) seems to have changed a few years ago and they just don't fit anymore. I wore a M for a while but it lost its shape really quicker.

I then spent a year swapping between brands (mainly based on price), before settling on the TM Tour preferred last year. I seem to get good wear from them, and so the additional cost isn't a huge issue.

MacWets for full on rain (although I also have a pair of TM rain gloves that are very good too)

The Dog.

Visit site
Whatever is cheapest in the pro shop and in stock in XL. Leather in Summer and All-Weather in Winter. The differences between them are negligible really. Great idea about the UV permeability though. :)

I would recommend the Vice leather gloves though - very soft and relatively hard wearing - but not enough for me to stick with them religiously.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I bought 3 GX gloves for 17 quid before the reopening. Promising soft cabretta leather at bargain prices.

They felt great out of the packet to be fair although slightly thicker than cabretta gloves I've had in the past.

The first glove wore through the thumb and palm pretty quickly to be honest and I was a little disappointed. The two since have held up pretty well. I can only assume the first one wore quicker due to more driving range practice (I've been on course when I can since the weather has improved).

I do have very thick thumbs though and I do seem to end up with a baggy mess on my thumb after a while with any leather glove. These are no different.

Grizzly

Visit site
Callaway Opticolour.

Warning, terrible reason coming up...

...my wife bought me four in different colours for Christmas, and asked me to choose one to match what I was wearing when I play :eek:

One day, I might actually do that. But no today. Oh no, not today...

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
SG gloves from off e bay. 5 for 13 quid. Why? 5 for £13. They last as long as any other ones I've had in the past so why pay out more? In a nice blue I might add. Before those I found some cool all purple ones with an ace of clubs on. They were great.