What Do You Expect From a ‘Royal’ Course

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A random comment on another thread got me wondering about opinions on the above Q

I’ve never played a Royal course. I have googled it so if the internet is to be believed I know why a course might get the tag (& it seems to have little to do with design or quality) So as a visiting punter do you have expectations for a course you’re going to play because it has a Royal tag and if so what are they?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't played a Royal course and wouldn't be attracted to because it had Royal in the name.

My expectation is that it would generally be a Championship course - perhaps that's just because of the number of Open venues, Liverpool, Troon, Birkdale, Lythan St Annes, Portrush, St George's etc. Again for the same reason, I feel it would be a Links - but I know that's not the case.

It will be an old club, likely founded in the 1800s, probably with a very 'traditional' looking Georgian club house. It probably will only have allowed women members in the past decade or so, if at all. It will probably be very elitist to the point I would have as much chance of joining it as a women or ethnic minority would have 25 years ago.

This is just my impression and is mainly based on the Open venues that I associate as having Royal in the name and that being something they make a big thing of.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only “Royal” courses I’ve played are Portrush and County Down and neither have been particularly pretentious and I’ve always felt very welcome! Both obviously top tier courses as well, I have no idea if that’s because of their Royal connection or did they get a Royal connection from already being a top course ?‍♂️

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends. Just basically a course some past royal played or offered patronage to. Some are grand, Open Championship courses with fusty old members in tweed who play 2 balls in 2 hours and then spill soup on their cravats at lunch, others have members like Homer in them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played 4 in Ireland, including one in the Republic, Royal Dublin.

Royal Co. Down is a magnificent course, a man-sized links with challenge everywhere. It is a club with a lot of members involved in the professions in Belfast who come down at weekends, but is accessible to the average golfer, especially in The Mourne Open Week. Mourne is the local 'town' club who also play on the links. The course is about an hour south of Belfast. An essential stop on any Irish golf tour.

Royal Portrush, which held The Open won by Shane Lowry is also a wonderful course. For my money, not as statuesque or spectacular as RCD, but that is a very high bar. It has a reputation for being a bit more welcoming than RCD used to be, and has 36 holes of high quality golf, and a few very good courses nearby. It is about 75 minutes drive north from Belfast. Also essential.

Royal Belfast is very close to the City Airport and Holywood and is in many ways a fairly typical members club. Much shorter and modest in design than either of the above, but a fun round with nice views of Belfast Lough. Not really on any list of must-play in NI courses, though.

Royal Dublin is next to Portmarnock on the north side of Dublin. A very good links which held the Irish Open a few times in the 80s, it is a good test of golf with a feature of an 18th hole which doglegs around an OB practice area and you can bite off as much as you can chew. Part of a nice foursome of RD, Portmarnock, the Bernhard Langer designed Partmarnock Hotel Links course and The Island. Worth a stop but Portmarnock is better.

D

Deleted member 3432

Only played Royal Musselburgh, just an ordinary parkland with a great big clubhouse.
It was ok but after playing some of the links in that neck of the woods it had a feeling of after the Lord Mayor's show...

Freewaytom

Visit site
Played Royal North Devon a couple of weeks ago and was one of the most friendly places I've visited this year, members chatting to you in the car park, friendly pro. The marshal's were a bit power crazy, but friendly.

They've also had a ladies section since the 1800s...