What Do You Expect From a ‘Royal’ Course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For those vaguely interested this is how we got our Royal name https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/the-golf-club/history/

We don't have any particular airs and graces and the staff try and give visitors a good test of golf in as good a condition as possible and a friendly welcome during a guests stay. I've played a few of the Royal clubs and to be honest aside from Royal Birkdale which was definitely pretentious and stuffy the rest have been to all purposes the same as any other club

dronfield

Visit site
When we were on hol in Devon 3 years ago, we called in Royal North Devon for lunch & a walk round the course - very impressive course/clubhouse & the staff could not have been more helpful or friendlier.
The only Royal course I have played is Duff House Royal in Banff - I think I am right in saying that this is the only Royal course with "Royal" at the end of its name.

sunshine

Visit site
It's not just Britain that has royal courses. Plenty in Spain. Portugal, Morocco, and Netherlands have royal courses too. I'm sure other countries too, plenty of royalty around the world!

FELL75

Visit site
For those vaguely interested this is how we got our Royal name https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/the-golf-club/history/

We don't have any particular airs and graces and the staff try and give visitors a good test of golf in as good a condition as possible and a friendly welcome during a guests stay. I've played a few of the Royal clubs and to be honest aside from Royal Birkdale which was definitely pretentious and stuffy the rest have been to all purposes the same as any other club
Having played at Royal Ascot for the last week, certainly concur with Homer, very welcoming and friendly and no airs and graces. Very much enjoying it ?

Bermuda

Visit site
Have you heard of Royal Chelsfield Lakes, it's great the only word you can hear is Cxxt, and you have a good chance of having your clubs stolen ?????

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I wouldn’t get too carried away by the ‘royal’ bit as in my experience you could get anything. Some of greatest courses I’ve played are royals, the most down-to-earth club in the world is Royal North Devon and a couple I’d never want to play again. Porthcawl and Cinque Ports are two crackers

Gowferdee

Visit site
Only played one - Royal Hua Hin

So I expect little Singha bars every 3-4 holes, a tuk-tuk back to the hotel and nice friendly caddies :)