Glove and baseball cap? No sir, not me.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem a tad out of step with most players at our place inasmuch as I never wear a glove, only wear a baseball cap in the rain, and that's only started in recent years since the old mince pies started to fail and I now have to wear glasses to play.

I have tried gloves when I started but could never really get on with them so eventually gave up. I once had a dalliance with a straw titfer - a la Greg Norman - although grew out of it. But I do wonder if I'm missing a trick by not using a glove and if it's in any way an improvement or advantage to your game, albeit probably only slightly if at all.

I have heard mixed opinions from PPs about their merits in the wet weather too, and over the years I must have saved a few quid by buying neither item.

Now of course I know that perhaps in not using these I don't quite look the part - but then again - what the heck :D:eek:

Am I unique on the forum or do you too not bother with one or both accoutrements?

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have not worn a glove since I ripped one trying to get it of when playing in Phoenix that was about 15 years ago. So far I have not had a problem when it rains, keeping the grips clean may be a help in this area. Hats, hate them, only wear one when there is really hot sunshine, like one gets in Phoenix or when it rains.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I seem a tad out of step with most players at our place inasmuch as I never wear a glove, only wear a baseball cap in the rain, and that's only started in recent years since the old mince pies started to fail and I now have to wear glasses to play.

I have tried gloves when I started but could never really get on with them so eventually gave up. I once had a dalliance with a straw titfer - a la Greg Norman - although grew out of it. But I do wonder if I'm missing a trick by not using a glove and if it's in any way an improvement or advantage to your game, albeit probably only slightly if at all.

I have heard mixed opinions from PPs about their merits in the wet weather too, and over the years I must have saved a few quid by buying neither item.

Now of course I know that perhaps in not using these I don't quite look the part - but then again - what the heck :D:eek:

Am I unique on the forum or do you too not bother with one or both accoutrements?

Very occasionally wear a cap, never wear a glove. Just never liked how it felt and didn't feel like I got any benefit from them. In honesty I would think that it only gives minuscule improvement anyway.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hats in direct sun, glove I find comfortable and helps me relax my grip pressure - whatever works for you.

Except for mac wets I only ever wear soft thin leather and change them frequently, about monthly mid season (I fail to see how some of the things players use can help them in anything!) Bought in bulk every couple of years they aren't a major expense - but I don't buy balls or tees!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think you need to start wearing both, will cut at least 10 shots off your handicap.... and don't forget to get custom fitted for both either

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always have a glove poking out of my rear left hand pocket when I putt.
I find I putt more like a professional that way.

Now if I'm being honest that's why I'd like to wear one. It just looks the absolute business :D

i think you need to start wearing both, will cut at least 10 shots off your handicap.... and don't forget to get custom fitted for both either

Do Trackman & GC2 have a fitting software for them - and if yes can anyone post please their stats? ;)

EDIT:

Oops! Turned into Yoda have I...

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like a hat to keep my bonce dry if it rains and unburnt if it is sunny. Or warm if it is cold. I wear a baseball cap in summer because it is what I have and a beanie in winter.
I wear a glove because everyone else does.
Yes mine is fitted according to swing speed and I change it according to club loft. Probably taken 10 strokes off the handicap.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to wear a logoed hat with my membership disc fastened to the side - two gloves as well, one for each back pocket when putting - I hate a lack of symmetry.

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wear both a glove and a hat. The hat because i stupidly bet i couldn't go a period of time without having my hair cut and now its stupid and long and gets in the way. Also helps the glasses stay dry in the rain

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't wear a glove, and my hat is usually on the bag clip unless it's very warm, even in wet I don't often stick it on. I have a stadry bag so in rain my grips stay dry, in Northern Ireland a water proof bag is an excellent idea, so is an umbrella holder :)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear my Mizuno hat to match my Mizuno clubs and Mizuno bag. Obviously why I'm hitting the ball solidly after a 3 year absence. :whistle:

But in all seriousness, just force of habit. I wear hats all the time outside of golf...paying the price as I'm starting to thin on top at the ripe old age of 31 :(

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Reverted to wearing a glove after a few years without but am starting to find it a pain to remove for putting and replace for the next drive. Have also invested in a 'Baker Boy' cap as a replacement for the ubiquitous baseball cap. Might go 'Commando' . . . . good for the swing, I'm told. ;)