Why one glove & not two

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
One of the U. S. commentators was talking about a player not using a glove & said "Why one glove & not two" I think the answer is quite obvious (& confirms how ignorant the average U. S. commentator is). It's the left hand which grips the club. An old pro of ours said that the right hand just "goes for a ride" on the club until impact.

I think that, actually, the right hand moves on the grip during impact, especially if you don't grip too tightly. On the odd occasion, years ago, I've played in the wet in the wife's Marigold rubber gloves. It feels to me that you get too much grip from the right hand. A really strange feeling as if you need the club to slide through your fingers. Has anyone else experienced this?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Interesting question.
I always imagined that it was because when people take up golf they see other golfers wearing one glove and without any thought or consideration just follow suit.

A non golfing colleague once asked me why one glove and I didn't know the answer then, but I think I do now. I stopped wearing a glove years ago as I prefer the feeling of having both hands on the club. Much thought about my no glove stance and the general one glove one led to me concluding that one glove is a compromise between feel and grip.

One thing is for sure, playing in the rain is a nightmare as my gloveless hands lose grip and if I get to the point where I have to put gloves on I'm screwed as I lose all feel.

Oh, and there are times when my hands are a total mess and consequently covered in medical tape.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't understand why someone would wear their wife's rubber gloves instead of wearing their own. ;)
But it doesn't make you a bad person - so I've been told. ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a glove that I put on when it's raining.

Hate wearing it and it goes on as a last resort and take it off as soon as possible.

Jason.H

Visit site
Aaron Rai wears 2 gloves on the PGA tour. Though I don’t see the need for 2. Maybe he feels more “locked in” during the swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried playing without a glove until one hit sticky summer day ( I know they are rare) the club nearly flew out of my hand.

I tried marigold gloves for golf but found my hands got too cold in them.

I have tried 2 gloves in the cold but it gives a weird feeling as it bulks out the right hand.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of FJ Wintersof for when it's cold but I can't hit full shots with both of them. If my right hand is gloved it feels like I don't have full control of the face and I tend to slice it more.

I could probably play without the standard glove on my left but I've got used to it now. I reckon I'd up with a lot of callouses on there.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think wearing a glove is habit. Because I've always done it, it feels strange if I don't. (Similar to how it feels strange not to wear a hat, even though in general daily life I hate wearing hats).

I would very much like to play without a glove and did once try but the grip just felt too thin.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Nobody has really commented on the main point of my post which is that the right hand needs to move on the grip leading up to impact.

As far as wearing one is concerned I played gloveless for over 40 years but mild arthritis caused me to start wearing one just to improve my left hand grip. Never felt the need for one on the right hand.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Nobody has really commented on the main point of my post which is that the right hand needs to move on the grip leading up to impact.

As far as wearing one is concerned I played gloveless for over 40 years but mild arthritis caused me to start wearing one just to improve my left hand grip. Never felt the need for one on the right hand.
Move in what way? I'm an interlocker, my hands don't/can't separate up and down, they are interlocked. I definitely don't want either of my hand twisting while I'm swinging.

I don't see/feel any movement of my hands during the swing nor would I want to as it just introduces another variable into my attempt to return the club face square.