Beginner golfer….ish

BigRonMo

Visit site
Hi,

Looking for advice please.

I’m a fairly new golfer, well I’m not as I “started” playing around 20 years ago but between then and the beginning of this year I reckon I’ve played around 20 times. I’ve now started taking it seriously and am trying to play more regularly between trips to the range. Not as pants as I was, thankfully but need more practice but I’m running out of mates to play with. I’ve 1 group of mates that I started playing with 20 years ago who are now don’t want to play with me until I’m good enough (hahahahaha) and another couple of mates that are similar level (crap to proper crap) who I play with but not as regularly as I’d like (weekly). For reference I’m in SE London, have played numerous courses over summer shooting around 40ish on a 9 and 100 on an 18 although haven’t played 18 for a while.

Surely I’m not the only 1 to have been in this predicament, how did others get round this?

Thanks

HPIMG

Visit site
I am off 5 and the 4 ball I play in twice a week two of them are always around the 100 score it’s a big deal if they beat 100 cause it doesn’t happen much and I am more than happy to play with them because I enjoy there company. Strange that the people you have known for 20 years are not happy to play with you because of your score. I recommend getting better mates.

BigRonMo

Visit site
I am off 5 and the 4 ball I play in twice a week two of them are always around the 100 score it’s a big deal if they beat 100 cause it doesn’t happen much and I am more than happy to play with them because I enjoy there company. Strange that the people you have known for 20 years are not happy to play with you because of your score. I recommend getting better mates.
They’ll suffer me once in a while but not regularly and to be honest, I find my game collapses when I play with them because they’re so much better and I’m trying to keep up.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi,

Looking for advice please.

I’m a fairly new golfer, well I’m not as I “started” playing around 20 years ago but between then and the beginning of this year I reckon I’ve played around 20 times. I’ve now started taking it seriously and am trying to play more regularly between trips to the range. Not as pants as I was, thankfully but need more practice but I’m running out of mates to play with. I’ve 1 group of mates that I started playing with 20 years ago who are now don’t want to play with me until I’m good enough (hahahahaha) and another couple of mates that are similar level (crap to proper crap) who I play with but not as regularly as I’d like (weekly). For reference I’m in SE London, have played numerous courses over summer shooting around 40ish on a 9 and 100 on an 18 although haven’t played 18 for a while.

Surely I’m not the only 1 to have been in this predicament, how did others get round this?

Thanks
Club rollup? Texas scrambles would be good. You get to play from parts of the course you didn't know existed and it's not just you.

edit: and get new mates.

Hacky

Visit site
I was in a similar predicament a couple of years ago when starting out and only had my son to play with (who doesn’t live close enough and plays off +2.9). I had some lessons with a pro at a local club which i then joined and he introduced me to others who were same capability. In the last year my circle of playing friends has grown substantially via the club and also by getting invited to play in a society at a different course on a Thursday evening. Suffice to say my game has improved, though not as far as I’d like.

Tout yourself around some local clubs; you may surprised at the warm welcome you’ll receive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with this. Golf with your mates isn't about what people are scoring. Baffling to hear that they don't want to play with you. I'd love it if more of my mates played and wouldn't give a toss what they scored. Get new friends.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks Hacky, kind of answer I’m looking for although my local clubs seem quite pro 🤣
Ask them if they have many members around your standard. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Also worth joining one if you can. Best way to find good golf mates is to jump around in comps to find the right group Of people.