Club captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Would you like to be a club captain?

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are times when I'd love to be considered (unlikley) but then you see the aggravation and rudeness from some members and think why bother. I don't drive so the car parking space is academic but as its right by the door if I ever get asked, I'd raffle that for my charity

IanMcC

Visit site
I was going to put myself forward when I retired. No chance now though. The M&H Secretary job takes up too much time to take on anything else.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was asked if I'd do it next year (from September) which i considered an honour. It's a lot of work as you are the club's figurehead and are expected to be at all big events and club matches etc - as well as being on "Council" - ie the board of management. Plus side is you get free subs for the year, a parking space and a generous allowance as you are expected to "entertain" quite a bit.

Sad bit is I had to turn it down as I'm likely to move away from this area - either before, ir during, the period of office. If only they'd asked a year earlier ...

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure, no problem. I was in line at my last club to be asked, you only had to do the Winter ball and attend a few meetings but left. At my club now, it's well organised and I'm just a newcomer, and keeping our of the limelight, so don't expect to be asked ever. Although it appears that all you have to do is pick a course for an away day, the club organise everything.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not everybody wants to be a Club Captain, or even be on the council/committee. It's hard to advise as to whether you should take up the offer of Club Captain as the role, and the level of commitment, varies from club-to-club. It certainly took up a lot of my time (see my earlier posts in this thread) but I'm glad I did it.
However, if you choose not to help in the running of the club then try to be positive in your feedback about any concerns and not moan at the people who, generally, give up their own time in the interests of the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Possibly…I take pride in being a member of my club and promote it whenever and wherever I can. Though if I look to the future and imagine self as Club Captain and Son-in-law as Club Head Professional. Well it would make for interesting conversations between us and with members…and interesting members vs Captain/Pro 4BBB matches.

Not going to be asked though.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think I’d want to be captain, seems like a lot of work involved. Maybe in later life when I have more time/need to get out of the house.

I wouldn’t mind being on the committee though. There are so many things I think our club could do better and it would be nice to be in a position to help. We don’t seem to have any way of making suggestions.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd try and focus on replies from those who've been past Captains, they'll know the good and the bad whereas most of us just don't fancy the idea.

At the end of the day a lot of it cones down to how much you like to be in the limelight, you'll be the club's figurehead.

Parts of the job I'd enjoy but other parts maybe not, although until you've actually taken it on it's impossible to say.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The most important point is what support you will have from your team regarding finance, handicaps, greens, social events, bar, and general knowledge of the club operations.

If you have mot the required structure in place initially everything will come back to you.

How much do you want to be Captain and how do you see the role and what have the past captains said re responsibility?

Overall tour choice but if you take it fo ahead with an open mind, no pre conceived ideas and enjoy the period.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've done it twice now, and I won't be doing it again for a very long time.
Easy enough at Westerham, as it's a proprietary club and so they do a lot of what a Captain or committee would do.
But the flack from members and bitching and moaning to me about what management do was frustrating.
I did get a great parking space twice though! ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Never in a month of Sundays. I’ve done committee work, and that was bad enough. But I’ve seen the toll being club captain has taken on a number of friends, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Quite aside from anything else, they couldn’t visit the club or play a round without someone moaning at them.

No thanks. Had thirty years of that as a cop. ?