Club captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Would you like to be a club captain?

• Total voters

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes people do moan at the Captain but given as it's a members club they're entitled to voice their opinion and the Captain is the focal point for that. It was never personal but more about the course but given the weather last year every course in the area had issues so you just had to listen and explain. But in my year as Vice Captain we had a disgruntled member who had an issue when he wanted to play in a knockout without a handicap, and when I explained the situation to him he basically called me a liar. I just chose to ignore it otherwise it would have just escalated.
Saying that, all of the members were very good to me during my tenure.

Guy wanting to play the knockouts was a numpty.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No, our club place too many demands on the VC and Captain, and even the role of Ex-captain for the following year!

So much so, this years VC lasted a month at most and resigned his position once he realised how the structure worked and what he would have to be involved in.

I think the captains role should be similar to a Presidents, a reward for services rendered, not a, must be at every meeting, funeral, comp etc etc, its far from a reward from what I can see at our club, more of a chore!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was being lined up as a Captain at my first club and would probably have done it but The Boy came along and saved my bacon..
Couldn't do it now as there is way too much of a demand on your time. My view is that if you're going to do it properly you have to, virtually, give a year of your life to it - or certainly a very large chunk.
Not for me.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, our club place too many demands on the VC and Captain, and even the role of Ex-captain for the following year!

So much so, this years VC lasted a month at most and resigned his position once he realised how the structure worked and what he would have to be involved in.

I think the captains role should be similar to a Presidents, a reward for services rendered, not a, must be at every meeting, funeral, comp etc etc, its far from a reward from what I can see at our club, more of a chore!

Can't agree more Fish. It's exactly the same at our place .

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our place the Captain's role is that of figurehead for the club rather than being the primary person regarding club management - its the president (ie chairman of the club Council) and the chairs of the various committees who are in the firing line for carping & criticism. The Captain is generally respected

So yes, I'd consider it, as it would be an honour - although one can't deny that it is a pretty onerous demand on ones time for a year.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been Ladies Captain, but that is quite a different role.
And I only did it after everyone else who was asked turned it down!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been Ladies Captain, but that is quite a different role.
And I only did it after everyone else who was asked turned it down!

Many years ago our Ladies Section were having similar issues with finding a volunteer to be their Captain.

I put a severe cat amongst the pigeons when I put my application in. Somehow they then managed to find themselves a Captain in double quick time rather than have me.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was surprised when I was asked and thought hard before accepting.

Really enjoyed my year although it was quite a commitment but really nice to look back on it now. Some great memories.

No regrets and glad I did it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t get the point in them anyway, I’ve been at four clubs and I couldn’t pick the Captain out of a line up at any of them. I know there is one as it’s “captain day” next week. A good day spoiled with a 9/10 handicap Stab non qualifier.

D

Deleted member 23270

I don’t get the point in them anyway, I’ve been at four clubs and I couldn’t pick the Captain out of a line up at any of them. I know there is one as it’s “captain day” next week. A good day spoiled with a 9/10 handicap Stab non qualifier.

Do you attend social functions, play in club matches, go to the AGM etc? The Captain is a pretty busy guy who generally does a lot for the club, even the ones that are just figureheads.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bringing back an old thread here...

I was approached at the weekend by a current committee member about becoming a future captain. We are talking 2 years away but, as this chap was current committee and was highly likely to be vice cap next year, he is sounding out for his future vice captain and trying to get them a committee role for the year beforehand.

My club is not like many I have read in this thread. For the most part I think they just expect either the Captain, Vice or Immidiate past Cap to be in attendance at the weekly competitions and speaking to members when issues arise.

Anyone want to sell me on the positives of golf club captaincy or shall I just let someone else do it? :ROFLMAO:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Bringing back an old thread here...

I was approached at the weekend by a current committee member about becoming a future captain. We are talking 2 years away but, as this chap was current committee and was highly likely to be vice cap next year, he is sounding out for his future vice captain and trying to get them a committee role for the year beforehand.

My club is not like many I have read in this thread. For the most part I think they just expect either the Captain, Vice or Immidiate past Cap to be in attendance at the weekly competitions and speaking to members when issues arise.

Anyone want to sell me on the positives of golf club captaincy or shall I just let someone else do it? :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure there are positives but equally sure they are outweighed by the negatives many times over. I've been approached many times over and will never ever contemplate doing it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure there are positives but equally sure they are outweighed by the negatives many times over. I've been approached many times over and will never ever contemplate doing it.

This for me :)

Watched my dad do it twice and helped him and others (when on committee), thats as close as Im ever getting :)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

I haven't done it (I was asked once but only after about ten other people had said 'no' :LOL: ) but I believe one of the benefits is other clubs will offer you courtesy of the course; and you might get free or reduced fees for your captaincy year.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
No thanks - I turned it down about 10 years or so ago (probably closer to 15 when I think about it). I've been on the committee and still help out if asked, but being the captain just isn't my thing.