• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Would you like to be a club captain?

• Total voters

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
No for me. I don’t think I’m captain material:eek:
I don’t do positions of responsibility or committees. I would find it hard to be diplomatic

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Done it. Loved every minute of it but it was bloody hard work from the aspect of the time it took out of my life.

Would happily do it again at my club but only when I'm retired.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the 30 years I have a played at the club I have played with a lot of the Club Captains. Seeing how they are treated and spoken to by some of the members made the decision easy for me.

I am happy to be part of the committee though.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'd make a great Captain, except your speeches may need a translator 😁😁

Cheers mate
I’d slow down when in the presence of southerners though....😉

You’d make a great captain too
Except, I’d fear with your age, memory, youd almost certainly forget that you were the captain.........and what you were actually captain of😂😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd consider it but doubt I'd be given the opportunity. For me, having a chance to serve on a committee and make some changes for the benefit of the club (especially our social media) would be a better choice

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. The job is to onerous, too all consuming. I don't see how anyone with a job can do it. Not sure how much of your family you see during the season either.

Can't help thinking the role needs rethinking to spread the load a little.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Did it last year and I enjoyed it but it did take a lot of my time. Usually at least one meeting a week plus popping into the club to see all OK.
Thankfully our club moved to a Board of Management (all volunteer members) a few years ago so the day to day running was handled by then and the club manager and his assistant (employed) as well as myself.
I couldn't / wouldn't have done it if it was like other clubs in the area where the Captain has to do pretty much everything. I just wouldn't have had the time.
I never thought I would be asked and was shocked when I was and made sure I OK'd it with my other half before saying yes.
I'm glad I did though. Yes, it's hard work but quite satisfying as well.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I'd love to do it but at the club I'm at just wouldn't be able to afford to do it , my golfing pairs partner was Captain two years ago and he reckons it cost him £3.5 to 4 K :eek:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Already turned it down twice in the last five years due to being in full time work. Going down to 4 days from September 2019 and by chance I have been asked by this years vice to be his vice for next year. Decided to say yes this time so I will be captain from April 2020.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do some people really give captains a hard time or moan at them?

In my 10 years over two clubs I've only ever witnessed people being courteous to any of the captains.

Ive played with plenty of past and current ones, some even as a guest of other clubs and all have been polite as I expected.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Yes people do moan at the Captain but given as it's a members club they're entitled to voice their opinion and the Captain is the focal point for that. It was never personal but more about the course but given the weather last year every course in the area had issues so you just had to listen and explain. But in my year as Vice Captain we had a disgruntled member who had an issue when he wanted to play in a knockout without a handicap, and when I explained the situation to him he basically called me a liar. I just chose to ignore it otherwise it would have just escalated.
Saying that, all of the members were very good to me during my tenure.