Best courses you've played?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interested to know what everyone's top 3 are and why? They may be courses you've played once for a special occasion, or play every week.

For me in no particular order

London Club - nr Brands Hatch - From the sweeping drive through the course, to the bag collection, to the relaxed unstuffy club house, excellent practice facilities and two top rate courses that will let you score on as easily as they'll punish you!

Prince's nr Sandwich - what a truly great set of 3 9 holes with history, drama and first class hospitality. Some of the toughest golf I've ever faced and that's before the wind started to blow!

Celtic Manor - what a truly amazing set up, sadly my golf was in no way good enough, but still had an amazing w/e

Likely I'll never play these again, and if you asked me tomorrow it'd probably be a different three courses, it's almost like trying to pick your favourite meal / child
!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. RCD
2. RCD
3. RCD

Unfortunately I have only played it 3 times otherwise it would have been 4th too. Honourable mentions for Portrush & St Andrews (only for that special feeling you get playing it)

D

Deleted member 15344

Sunningdale Old
Royal St George's
Swinley Forest

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Trump International, the course design is superb, every hole is a delight with some fantastic tee shots.

Royal Dornoch, standing on the tee near the hotel thinking of Tom Watson saying it's one of his favourite courses had me excited to get started to play, then parred the first and wondered what the fuss was about very average hole imo, but thankfully really enjoyed the rest of the course.

Holtye Golf Club in Sussex, small club and course tucked away in the countryside with some varied holes, also has imo the best par 3 I've played anywhere, also one of the friendliest clubs I've ever played a real joy to be there.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
1. The Old Course at Vilamoura - so subtle and intricate
2. Sunningdale Old - so well judged
3. West Hill - so close to my house and so very beautiful on a summers evening...

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RSG - bargain at £20 green fee 😀

Aphrodite hills - Cart drive down to the 7th tee, wow.

Mount Woodson, San Diego - Cart drive from the 2nd to 3rd to a spectacular par 3 over a ravine .

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Salgados in Portugal was very nice. Soooo much water, though.
I really enjoyed Fairhaven in Lytham when I got to play there last year.
The most difficult course I ever played was probably the East course in Hubbelrath close to Düsseldorf in Germany.

But my personal favourite, even though it is nothing special, just a run of the mill parkland course, is Lytham Green Drive. I can't even say why, I just absolutely love that course. Maybe it's because I played quite well there when I played it for the first time.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best course is so subjective, but my favourite courses I've played are:

St. Mellion - Relentlessly difficult from start to finish. There's hardly any good places to miss and no let up all the way round. I had 36pts there earlier this year and walked off absolutely knackered and feeling I'd played awesome.

Carnoustie - Played for the first time last year on the forum trip and I was garbage, but could appreciate it. Nothing special to look at imo, but a very cleverly designed course where you have to think about every shot. Can't remember what it was called, but the steak pastie halfway round was superb.

I can't choose a third place because there's nothing clear cut that comes out of the 15 or so that I could narrow it down to.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anahita and il aux cerf Mauritius
Moor allerton bargain
Sheringham
Enniscrone and Carne in Ireland.
One in portugal i forgot. No i ant Penina. Just gorgeous

Last edited:

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1. Addington Court Public Course
2. Formby.
3. Delamere Forest

Unusual to put a municipal course but it is where I started my lifetime journey journey into golf in 1967, a journey still going today just!!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I til this year my list would have been Brabazon, and that alone as I played courses similar to munis.

Now having had a cracking 2017 I've got 10 realistic contenders.

I'd have to say it's been:

sunningdale (old)
RSG

Also had had a cracking time at RCP despite biblical weather!