So my wife bought us a 'golf break'...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
19/08/20 UPDATE: Have booked at Coulsdon Manor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This topic is two-fold really, on one hand I want to get views on the available courses, as there are a few course/hotel options on the voucher she bought me for Valentine's day; on the other hand how to deal with the delicate matter that she has never played golf before. :LOL:

So there are six courses available, but a couple we've sort of ruled out because of the location:

North Shore Hotel, Skegness - a bit far to drive.
Garstang Hotel, Preston - a bit far to drive.
Coulsdon Manor, Croydon - might be being unfair but I'm not sure if Croydon is the nicest location of the bunch.
Shendish Manor, Apsley - I have actually done a golf break here before a couple of years ago and played the course a few times, so I know it's alright but I'd probably rather go somewhere new. Also dinner isn't included in this one for some reason and it is some of the others.

Manor of Groves, Sawbridgeworth
Magnolia Park, Aylesbury

The latter two seem like the better options as I don't have a reason to rule them out immediately. Now with her being a total beginner I'd probably feel more comfortable if the course isn't too nice to the point where they'd object to a beginner hacking up the place - although that might be the case with all of them. Would be good to get a view on some of these courses if anyone has one?

Now the other aspect. My wife believes she is excellent at everything, usually without basis. She has been to Top Golf a few times before, and she can connect with the ball and if lucky send it about 75 yards I would guess. She seems to grip it as if it's a putter and swing very upright (probably because her only other experience is mini-golf, lol). My mum has a set of clubs we can borrow, they're 15+ years old Wilson's with graphite shaft, they are at least ladies clubs so should be fine. My wife refuses to practise before we go of course but she has resolved to come to the driving range once to at least try out the clubs. I'm not someone you'd want a lesson off of, plus she ignores everything I say anyway so I imagine however the range session goes, that's what we'll be working with. :ROFLMAO:

When she told me she'd bought it I was sort of pleased and dreading it at the same time... weird mix of emotions. Haha.

Edit: Forgot to say, for her the priority is that the hotel is nice with nice food etc, so feedback on that perspective on those locations would be great too.

Last edited:

jamiet7682

Visit site
She will get fed up and walk off by the third hole, leaving you to enjoy your round, so pick somewhere you want to play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
She will get fed up and walk off by the third hole, leaving you to enjoy your round, so pick somewhere you want to play.
Haha, it's a possibility. I don't know anything about the courses on the list though other than Shendish where I've already played, so still open to suggestion. We have at least agreed (well she agreed) that we'll need to hire a buggy as she won't be walking for 4 hours.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Magnolias an OK layout, used to be in decent enough condition but sure someone posted it had gone badly downhill lately
Manor of Groves is pretty dull, many many years since I played it
Not a fan of Shendish Manor
Not played the other 3

If it was me of those Id played Id go for Magnolia

D

Deleted member 1418

So your wife - a complete novice and in all respects a 'non-golfer' - has brought you both a golf break? You've must've done something outrageously bad that you haven't comprehended yet!!! ;):D

I think the best solution is as follows:

1) Buy her some flowers and get them delivered to her work;
2) Surprise her by cooking her favourite meal when she gets home - go overboard with the candles, soft lighting, and her favourite 'relaxing' music;
3) Over desert, present her with a Champney's Spa Break, and then suggest that may be the better option for her! (y)

Then the following morning get in contact with a mate and suggest you look at dates for a golf break at some decent courses that you'd like to play!! (y):D

D

Deleted member 21258

Sorry not played any of those courses.

I would, look at :-

1) The one with the nicest hotel (and maybe the area if you are going to go out for other stuff)

then secondly
2) The course which has no carries or water whilst playing the course [dont worry about how good the course is, as a complete novice wont realise it imho]

First time my wife came to a golf day, she had barely played and as a result she scored zero stableford points and there wasn't any carries or water on the course. She still enjoyed it and we laughed about it during the day and still do, great fun. Those early days are so much fun, if you don't mind laughing when it is going so wrong.:LOL:

Enjoy.;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coulsdon Manor is not in Croydon, as the name says it's Coulsdon. Distance is about 8 miles from Croydon and is a nice place. Many moons ago I went to school in that area
I was reading from the list provided where it was described as Coulsdon Manor, Croydon. So their mistake not mine. :p Thanks for the info though.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
North Shore is not too difficult and they get all sorts there so they won't be too bothered about her being a beginner. It's odd in that it has nine links holes and nine parkland. I have eaten in the hotel on a society day but not stayed there. Food was OK but it's hard to get fish and chips wrong.
Skegness has very little going for it (unless you like seeing what life was like in the 1970s) but Gibraltar Point nature reserve is nice if you like birdies.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My tactic would be to try and find the quietest course. In my experience a lot of these 'resort' courses are set up to be stretched out to 7,000+ yards and can be a long trek round - so 100% the buggy is the way to go.

With a quiet course you can let her try and play without the added pressure of people waiting behind you. In my experience a non-golfer will not even realise this, but you will feel pressured and not enjoy it at all.

I'd also consider starting on the back 9 or skipping holes (assuming the course is quiet) as it would genuinely take you hours if you are playing with a non-golfer.

I'd also 100% advise you to not give her any advice or say anything about her golf. Just get on with your own golf and leave her to it. Ultimately you are not a golf coach and I'd imagine trying to give her advice is actually not going to help. If she does enjoy it and wants to play more then encourage her to get lessons or look for beginners group coaching that ranges will often run.