Golf in USA

JontyHawes

Visit site
Hi Everyone

My wife and I are travelling to Texas from UK in a few weeks. Whilst she is using the spa I am playing a couple rounds of golf.

Is there anything I should know of the differences between playing in UK and USA?

Most of the time I play my local courses but once a month I play one of the better courses in the surrey(ish) area.

Thank you for any tips, like to be prepared.

D

Deleted member 23270

In my experience there are 2 types of golfers in the states. Young serious beefcake types that hit the ball 320+ and can play a bit and guys in buggies full of cans of beer that are hootin and hollerin without any consideration for anyone else on the course.

Oh....and watch out for rattlesnakes!

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi Everyone

My wife and I are travelling to Texas from UK in a few weeks. Whilst she is using the spa I am playing a couple rounds of golf.

Is there anything I should know of the differences between playing in UK and USA?

Most of the time I play my local courses but once a month I play one of the better courses in the surrey(ish) area.

Thank you for any tips, like to be prepared.
I've only played in California. The greens were in fabulous condition, even at the less expensive courses. Not sure about quirks in etiquette as I played in a society or with my wife. Worth checking.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's a few years since I was in Texas, but I'd imagine you'll find the people are extremely welcoming, and service standards should be good. The biggest difference will very likely be the grass - Bermuda maybe? I'd imagine you'll be on a buggy and if it's just you golfing there's a likelihood you could be put out with some people you don't know = something I always enjoyed. met some great people that way.

Just enjoy it buddy. Texas is awesome

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played in Texas.
Played a lot in Florida . The cost has jumped up post Covid.

If the grass in Texas is Bermuda it is very different to the UK.
it’s like playing out of a soft version of Gorse.
This time of year the greens will be very fast not like here atm.

The temperature alone will sap your energy, so tee time is vital.
It costs more to play early when it’s cooler.
Good sunscreen is a must and a good hat, ( cricket type Titleist are great)

It gets very windy in Texas I’ve heard.
Sure you will enjoy it, if you don’t you can go the Spa with the wife.😳

sunshine

Visit site

Yes:
- Very strong service culture at more upmarket courses, with people running around after you to park your car for you, carry your bag etc. They all expect generous tips.
- Pro shop works on commission and will expect you to buy stuff. Remember that tax is added on to the price.
- You’re not allowed to use your legs, carts are compulsory. Someone will put your bag on the cart and explain to you how the cart works, it may include accessories like a speaker and beer cooler to help you be more obnoxious, you are expected to give them a tip.
- You need to buy stuff from the cart girl on course, you’re also expected to flirt with her and give her a tip.
- Afterwards in the bar you need to tip the barman and waiting staff, you also need to exaggerate every shot you discuss, especially the length of your drives, to translate into American yards. 20% is a good benchmark again.

The Fader

Visit site
Try and get paired up would be my advice. Americans are fun to play with!!

But as a generalisation - the single figures guys struggle to break 80 and be wary of the mid handicappers wanting to play for money.

They like their mulligans and "breakfast balls". That's 2 drives on the 1st and play the best one! Gimmee's also tend to be generous.

As the WHS is based on the American system no wonder many think it unfit for purpose :)

Even courses at the lower end of the scale have greens you would be happy to have at your own course. But you need to learn how to read the grain as well as the borrows. The grass generally grows toward the sun.

Chill out and go with the flow and you'll have a great time!

Mandofred

Visit site
In my experience there are 2 types of golfers in the states. Young serious beefcake types that hit the ball 320+ and can play a bit and guys in buggies full of cans of beer that are hootin and hollerin without any consideration for anyone else on the course.
In another way of looking at it.....having fun. But not in a dignified British way......

JontyHawes

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses! I am playing 08:30 and 09:10 on midweek mornings and pretty sure I have been paired up as the tee times have disappeared. I had that at celtic manor and the group were a great bunch of guys.

Looking forward to utilizing my non-existent flirting skills and exaggerating my 250 yard drive to minimum 320.