So my wife bought us a 'golf break'...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tactic would be to try and find the quietest course. In my experience a lot of these 'resort' courses are set up to be stretched out to 7,000+ yards and can be a long trek round - so 100% the buggy is the way to go.

With a quiet course you can let her try and play without the added pressure of people waiting behind you. In my experience a non-golfer will not even realise this, but you will feel pressured and not enjoy it at all.

I'd also consider starting on the back 9 or skipping holes (assuming the course is quiet) as it would genuinely take you hours if you are playing with a non-golfer.

I'd also 100% advise you to not give her any advice or say anything about her golf. Just get on with your own golf and leave her to it. Ultimately you are not a golf coach and I'd imagine trying to give her advice is actually not going to help. If she does enjoy it and wants to play more then encourage her to get lessons or look for beginners group coaching that ranges will often run.
I agree it would be great if the course is quiet, sadly I have no real way of knowing how busy these courses are. I could just try and make sure we do the golf bit in the afternoon so it's potentially less busy than the morning.

Don't worry, my advice would not extend much beyond 'why are you holding it like that you lunatic'. As I recall she grips all the clubs like a putter with her index fingers down the shaft, lol.

She'll probably sack it off after the front nine anyway like someone else said, if she makes it that far. Would not be at all surprised to see her drive off into the sunset leaving me to finish the round.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree it would be great if the course is quiet, sadly I have no real way of knowing how busy these courses are. I could just try and make sure we do the golf bit in the afternoon so it's potentially less busy than the morning.

Don't worry, my advice would not extend much beyond 'why are you holding it like that you lunatic'. As I recall she grips all the clubs like a putter with her index fingers down the shaft, lol.

She'll probably sack it off after the front nine anyway like someone else said, if she makes it that far. Would not be at all surprised to see her drive off into the sunset leaving me to finish the round.

A tip might be that somewhere with a 2nd course or a 9 hole course will be good as more chance of one being quiet.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coulsdon Manor is not in Croydon, as the name says it's Coulsdon. Distance is about 8 miles from Croydon and is a nice place. Many moons ago I went to school in that area

Coulsdon is in the London Borough of Croydon, so it is in Croydon. But it's not in the town of Croydon, which I think you were referring to. So you're both absolutely right, and also wrong ;):ROFLMAO:

Robin Hood

Visit site
I can only comment on Skegness North Shore, having been there several times with societies.
It's ok, a good combination of parkland and links.
The Best Western hotel attached is ok - functional, not luxury. Full of golfers.
It's not too far from Skegness town centre, but there's not a lot there;
The adventure golf is pretty decent, for a bit of fun.
Your wife would probably be disappointed with the venue.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If your wife hasn't played on a course before, you need.... a nice hotel with spa and pool. A driving range with good teaching pros to get her started. A decent academy course where she can "have a go" on some proper looking golf holes, and a decent course where you can have a good game (with her if she is up to it after the lesson!)

Bowood in Wiltshire. A mere 90 mins from Watford. Can you get that on your voucher? :)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Coulsdon Manor may be just outside Croydon but its still a cesspit.

Last two reviews on TA

A very disappointing stay at Coulsden Manor. Gone down hill since we last stayed 18m ago.
Twin room with tiny beds ( clearly designed for children)
Furniture all very squashed in with barely any room.
Mis matched taps in the bathroom
Threadbare carpets, exposed plaster on the walls, damp on the ceilings
Someone needs to spend some money on this hotel and smarten it up as the location / surroundings are glorious

We stayed at the hotel when I was attending Royal Marsden for a hospital appointment.
On arrival the room was cold , a electric radiator was provided after we complained.
The room was one that was advertised as refurbished.
Our nights sleep was disturbed by a noise like water gurgaling.
In they morning there was not hot water for washing or a shower. When we spoke to reception we where told that the boiler had broken down and they where waiting for an engineer to arrive.
We had breakfast and left for my hospital appointment returning mid afternoon to find the room had not been serviced.
After two complaints it was done.
On the positive side the staff where very helpful and pleasant and the two diners and one breakfast we had where acceptable.
When we came to leave we raised the issues we had and ask for a reduction in our bill. The receptionist didn’t have the authority to give us one but gave us the general managers e mail and ensured us that he would respond.
To date we have heard nothing.
Poor customer service and I would not stay at this hotel or recommend anyone else to do so either.

To be fair, for the area they are both great reviews! ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you want somewhere a little different and something testing for you and short for her, have a look at Nailcote Hall, home of the British par 3 champs. It is fiendishly tricky, but the longest holes is only about 150 yards with a fair bit of water around lol. See if you can stay at Nailcote Hall as well. Only in Coventry so not too far and the delights of Birmingham not far away

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want somewhere a little different and something testing for you and short for her, have a look at Nailcote Hall, home of the British par 3 champs. It is fiendishly tricky, but the longest holes is only about 150 yards with a fair bit of water around lol. See if you can stay at Nailcote Hall as well. Only in Coventry so not too far and the delights of Birmingham not far away

or you could actually read the Op rather than just posting what you want lol

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
or you could actually read the Op rather than just posting what you want lol
To be fair, the journey time from Watford is not prohibitive, and having a par 3 as well as a nice hotel would probably be the most realistic chance of everyone actually having a decent time.
Although some distance(!) from the OP's location, my suggestion, Geography notwithstanding, would have been St Andrews - nice hotels, fantastic seashore for walks, himalayas putting and a very cheap and easy 'proper' course (can't remember the name, Balcomie?) to chop about on without upsetting anyone.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

To be fair, the journey time from Watford is not prohibitive, and having a par 3 as well as a nice hotel would probably be the most realistic chance of everyone actually having a decent time.
Although some distance(!) from the OP's location, my suggestion, Geography notwithstanding, would have been St Andrews - nice hotels, fantastic seashore for walks, himalayas putting and a very cheap and easy 'proper' course (can't remember the name, Balcomie?) to chop about on without upsetting anyone.

The OP has a voucher for the venues listed.
Of all the forum members in here, pretty sure he'd be last to pay for something he doesn't need ??

If I were you Orikuro, I'd check which one has the best spa as she'll likely end up there.

I can recall the first 6 times I took up golf starting from about 20 years ago. Each one of those wasted green fees (thought I could play after no practice ever) ended after no more than half a dozen holes.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course at manor of groves is a bit pants but I'm told the leisure facilities are good. Mate had his joint stag/hen do there, did t stay but those who did said the other halfs did like the spa.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
had some fantastic weekends in Skegness, absolutely brilliant. Having said that I was 11-16 yrs old and went every year with the SJAB as a cadet Staying in the Derbyshire miners.
They had a fire on the front a couple of years ago, so they have done it up a bit. My opinion is, the fire was not big enough. That said, 3 hours is a long way to go for a round. I have had a few pals play at north shore and enjoyed it. If I was coming that far. I would look at playing the link Course in skeggy the following day. Or calling in at Woodhall spa on the way back. Lovely village and a few members that may get you out on the course.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Northshore is fine, the hotel is a bit tired but the staff are decent enough, same for the food.

Definitely try and play seacroft if you can whilst you're there... proper links course!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I was reading from the list provided where it was described as Coulsdon Manor, Croydon. So their mistake not mine. :p Thanks for the info though.

No mistake by them, it's within the London Borough of Croydon so they suffer the slur by association. There's a bit of forum distance by Jensen though, about 5 miles between the two :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess my other half is a keeper then, when she booked courses for my more significant birthdays, without my knowledge or assistance, she booked Wentworth, Sunningdale and Gleneagles ??