So my wife bought us a 'golf break'...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess my other half is a keeper then, when she booked courses for my more significant birthdays, without my knowledge or assistance, she booked Wentworth, Sunningdale and Gleneagles ??
My wife doesn't know a thing about golf really, and in truth has not shown any interest in taking it up either. I think she just bought this on a whim as a nice idea, thinking it would please both of us, but didn't think through the fact that she would have the opportunity to actually play.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought the days game would be incidental to any night games ;) considering it was bought as a Valentines days pressy, so in that respect the hotel would be of greater interest :)

Doris

Medal Winner
Visit site
Live fairly local to Magnolia and whilst it’s a decent enough track it’s been in better condition! If you do come this way then make sure you try out They Nut Tree’ in Murcott for a drink and some food! Lovely!
Also played Shendish Manor before...didn’t rate that much!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess my other half is a keeper then, when she booked courses for my more significant birthdays, without my knowledge or assistance, she booked Wentworth, Sunningdale and Gleneagles ??

She probably booked in the mistaken belief that you were a proper golfer.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
From those options I would go with Shendish Manor, I played it in December and it was in good condition. The course isn't too long or hard, which will suit your wife's situation of being a beginner. The hotel is nice and the food there is decent too.

sunshine

Visit site
On the plus side, the virus has saved you the experience of watching your Mrs try to hack around a golf course, get bored pretty quickly and call it a day, disrupting your round, and then endure a second rate meal in a ropey hotel.

Every cloud...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the plus side, the virus has saved you the experience of watching your Mrs try to hack around a golf course, get bored pretty quickly and call it a day, disrupting your round, and then endure a second rate meal in a ropey hotel.

Every cloud...
Well we never booked it yet. I think it's open-ended.

Actually the fact I'm now ordered a practise net and some foam balls means she might even have a practise without having to drag her down the driving range? :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So we finally booked this yesterday, for September 5th. We went with Coulsdon Manor, Croydon in the end - partly because it was a good deal (included dinner whereas some of them didn't), the hotel looks quite nice and not too far to drive.

Next task is to borrow my mum's old golf clubs so I can get the other half down the driving range and see how she does!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
To be fair, the journey time from Watford is not prohibitive, and having a par 3 as well as a nice hotel would probably be the most realistic chance of everyone actually having a decent time.
Although some distance(!) from the OP's location, my suggestion, Geography notwithstanding, would have been St Andrews - nice hotels, fantastic seashore for walks, himalayas putting and a very cheap and easy 'proper' course (can't remember the name, Balcomie?) to chop about on without upsetting anyone.
The beginners course at St Andrews is the Balgove, dead flat fairways, short rough, three short par fours (longes tis 295 yards) and six par 3s ranging from 100 yards to 195 yards - I've had a hit there twice in the last fortnight - it's excellent fun

https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/balgove-course

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

Definitely a keeper !

does she have a sister ? Asking for a friend ......

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So we finally booked this yesterday, for September 5th. We went with Coulsdon Manor, Croydon in the end - partly because it was a good deal (included dinner whereas some of them didn't), the hotel looks quite nice and not too far to drive.

Next task is to borrow my mum's old golf clubs so I can get the other half down the driving range and see how she does!

? Possibly a lesson before She goes. ?