Best courses you've played?

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Mid Ocean, Bermuda
Arabella, South Africa
Quinta do lago south, Portugal

I seem to enjoy playing golf even more when abroad on holiday, not that I do t love playing courses in the UK

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Carnoustie

Fleetwood

St Annes Old Links

Honorable mention for Pike Fold. Can't put my finger on it but I loved the feel of the whole place, including the staff there!

D

Deleted member 1147

Can't really rank them or in some cases split them but some of my favourites have been:

Swinley Forest
Sunningdale - New & Old
Hillside
Royal Porthcawl
Sherwood Forest
Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin

D

Deleted member 21258

Sunnigdale old course - what a setting, history, clubhouse and a fun course, just what a place and had great company when I played the course.

Thorndon Park - just love this place, could play it for everyday of my life. Not to hard, not to easy, lots of variety, for whatever reason I am at peace at this course.:)

Woburn - Could play Dukes/Marquess time and time again, as a 36 hole combo it has not been beaten(in my eyes)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Saunton
St Mellion (Nicklaus Course)
Selsdon Manor (was glorious weather and I was playing superbly may be the reason)

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't played enough of the elite courses but so far my 3 favourite courses are :

1. Hardelot Pines - I just love this place
2. Alwoodley - Played it in the Forum meet a few years ago and loved every single second of it.
3. Sherwood Forest - Fantastic

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am heading towards 400 courses played and I am finding it increasingly difficult to categorically state favourites.... looking at this thread I read the other posts and think yep, um yep and yep! Occasionally someone puts in a surprise and I think "if you liked that wait till you see x y or z!"

The Old Course oozes atmosphere, RCD is so beautiful, Swinley Forest is so charming, Royal St Georges is so striking, sea views from everywhere at Porthcawl... Ailsa Course was wonderful, cant wait to go back and see what they've done to that....
And there are plenty more to see!

D

Deleted member 17920

I am heading towards 400 courses played and I am finding it increasingly difficult to categorically state favourites.... looking at this thread I read the other posts and think yep, um yep and yep! Occasionally someone puts in a surprise and I think "if you liked that wait till you see x y or z!"

The Old Course oozes atmosphere, RCD is so beautiful, Swinley Forest is so charming, Royal St Georges is so striking, sea views from everywhere at Porthcawl... Ailsa Course was wonderful, cant wait to go back and see what they've done to that....
And there are plenty more to see!
Think in this thread it really does highlight how many excellent courses we have in this country.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Sunnigdale old course - what a setting, history, clubhouse and a fun course, just what a place and had great company when I played the course.

Thorndon Park - just love this place, could play it for everyday of my life. Not to hard, not to easy, lots of variety, for whatever reason I am at peace at this course.:)

Woburn - Could play Dukes/Marquess time and time again, as a 36 hole combo it has not been beaten(in my eyes)

Love that phrase - 'I am at peace at this course' it sums up how we all feel at times on a course for one of so many reasons - enough of ehich to bring us back time and time again

GBC

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely... and to be honest you can have a really great time playing an otherwise unremarkable course too... and some of those get on to the lists for that very reason.

Completely agree with this. I've been fortunate enough to play some of the best courses in the country but some of the most enjoyable games I've had/courses I've played mightn't be near a "top XXX" list.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

'Harry Colt' could well be a major part of the reason!

Some classic HC design - 2nd and 18th being particularly memorable!

As for the 'at peace' phrase... I'm inclined to agree - again, something about HC courses! However, I also enjoy the other end of the spectrum too! Where there's the feeling that, without due respect, a course can really punish a bad decision/shot! Getting round with a decent score on such a course is immensely rewarding!

Last edited:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site