Am I overreacting (update it was a prank)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did see a club recommend that on comps when it’s a medal that high handicaps ( maybe 18 above ) play Stableford instead - that would stop people keep going to get that 8 or 9 on the card

Christ that's a bit harsh, takes out all of the fun of throwing in a 10 on the card and still trying to make buffer ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did see a club recommend that on comps when it’s a medal that high handicaps ( maybe 18 above ) play Stableford instead - that would stop people keep going to get that 8 or 9 on the card
I love that idea. Saturday is stableford comp off the yellows at my club. Once a month, for reasons no one can fathom they do strokeplay off the yellows and there is an audible groan from everyone as they log in and discover it. High handicappers rarely enjoy strokeplay, they love stableford so just let us be happy :LOL:

I'm now wondering whether I should go back and unlike the indignant replies I agreed with or do I have to commit to them even though we've been duped as well?

D

Deleted member 15344

I love that idea. Saturday is stableford comp off the yellows at my club. Once a month, for reasons no one can fathom they do strokeplay off the yellows and there is an audible groan from everyone as they log in and discover it. High handicappers rarely enjoy strokeplay, they love stableford so just let us be happy :LOL:

I'm now wondering whether I should go back and unlike the indignant replies I agreed with or do I have to commit to them even though we've been duped as well?

Random Golf Irritation - Stableford is also strokeplay ? ?

I think there is a lot of merit to having high Handicappers stick with playing Stableford until they reach a certain level - either HC or confidence and then they play in medals ?‍♂️

RichA

Visit site
After complaints of slow play a couple of weeks ago, our weekend comp was played in groups of 3, rather than 4. We all went round about an hour quicker, without ever feeling rushed. And this was in randomly drawn, mixed handicap groups.
I do find that less time is wasted finding my 4 iron tee shots into the fairway than 50% of the booming 280 yard drives of my low handicap playing partners that disappear into the rough.

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This is one of the best things I've read this year, can't stop thinking about putting kippers under someone's car seat

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its a shocking idea, some of the slowest players I've ever played with are Cat 1's. The idea that slow players are the highest handicappers is completely false.

Take your membership fee and join a more friendly and inclusive club, the club you are with currently doesnt seem to be either.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a shocking idea, some of the slowest players I've ever played with are Cat 1's. The idea that slow players are the highest handicappers is completely false.

Take your membership fee and join a more friendly and inclusive club, the club you are with currently doesnt seem to be either.

Problem is the opening post drags people in.. but later on Ive updated

It was a prank by my mates

They got the GM involved and the email came just to me lol

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Good morning

Turns out this was a very successful prank by my playing partners involving the general manager and the handicap sec to send the email to just me

Very easily done now with GDPR that all emails look like just to you for security

Anyways they got me

So apologies to @PhilTheFragger I didn't realise you weren't allowed to take threads down .. I took down as I thought might end up a massive split thread

Also didn't want to spread fake news so thought best to get rid

Least I don't have to consider my membership now I guess lol

Haha - very good prank.

RichA

Visit site
Frozen prawns in the tube holding up the curtains is another good one! :devilish:
Double up in the curtain seams for good measure and anchovies poked into the car air vents. The salt slows down the decomposition just enough so they outlast discovery of the second kipper.

Swango1980

Visit site
Seems a pretty horrible idea for me. Would be interesting to see what proportion of the club it discriminates against. It'd be very frustrating to be a 20 handicapper, knowing a 19 handicapper is considered a much quicker player than you.

It would be even funnier if it was introduced at my blub. Two of the slowest guys in the club have an Index of around 8 and 16. The fastest guy in club is high 20's.

If they are worried about slow play in regular comps, could they not just play Stableford or Maximum Score, and have strict pace of play policies, that apply to everyone?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Didn't see this last night, started reading today. Brilliant. We were all suckered, even me 20 mins ago. Not a waste of time, because interesting views on speed of play in comps ensued.
There was a debate at my club decades ago on this. Most moaners were the single figure lot. I shut them up with the suggestion, "Only one single figure handicap in each 3-ball."
No such rules have ever been introduced.
Club championship is reverse handicap order, favourites in the last two groups usually the slowest. This has included me at times. Obviously. taking it very seriously, as said already.
Slowest players I have played with recently are in the 10-18 h'cap range and 20-40 age group. They wallop it all over the place and I join in with the searches on both sides of the fairway. This takes up a lot of the time.
Played as a two-ball this morning in 2hrs 50mins with one group of 4 letting us through. Saturday comps have been about 3hrs 40mins in three balls this year which I find totally acceptable.
Knocked 0.2 off my index by beating my 8th best by two shots, despite a measly 33 points in the comp. Oops wrong thread.
Ah, even Swango has been suckered. Hope he keeps reading rest of thread.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don't be too quick to get your revenge..let them think they're safe ..
Quality prank though..
Yep, the sooner you go for revenge, the more likely they will suss a prank.
Bide your time!
And don't discuss plans, but please share the story afterwards.
And be careful - sometimes pranks can have regrettable unforeseen consequences.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The high/low quick/slow argument isn't clear cut, a lot depends on the course. As an example my course is heathland with lots of heather and forced carries. Low players might hit 70 odd shots slowly but they are still quicker than a quick higher player hitting 90-100 shots and looking for balls. But on a more open course the higher guys might get round quicker.