Alterations to WHS?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the system has been in place for three years, yet the system of addled shots in mixed comps was implemented at our place this Q season. So was our course wrong for the first two?
Wasn't there something commonly called 'Courtesy Strokes' in CONGU?

LizAig

Visit site
Weโ€™ve had an email from our regional handicap advisor to say weโ€™ll get an invite to a meeting soon and itโ€™s important to attend as it will detail WHS changes for 2024

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thought I had posted on here earlier but itโ€™s gone!

Rather simple but at our Club par is 71 and CR is 71.1 and 69.7 respectively.

Sure RF of wjemather will correct me if wrong but all that is required is to add 0.1 for The Whites and subtract 1.3 for the yellow Rees to calculate the Course Handicap. Ie. Calculate as at present from HI and adjust accordingly.

Still wish I knew where the earlier post went

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I had posted on here earlier but itโ€™s gone!

Rather simple but at our Club par is 71 and CR is 71.1 and 69.7 respectively.

Sure RF of wjemather will correct me if wrong but all that is required is to add 0.1 for The Whites and subtract 1.3 for the yellow Rees to calculate the Course Handicap. Ie. Calculate as at present from HI and adjust accordingly.

Still wish I knew where the earlier post went
It went here - https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/changes-to-whs-in-april-2024.115360/page-3

wjemather

Visit site
Adding two 9 holes rounds together instead of using fairytail scores?
Rather than dismissing them as fairytale scores, maybe consider whether adding a 10 point 9-hole score to a 24 point 9-hole score better reflects scoring ability than scaling up each score, and what the resultant HI would be if that scoring pattern were repeated using each method.

Tashyboy

Please donโ€™t ask to see my tatts ๐Ÿ‘
Visit site
Weโ€™ve had an email from our regional handicap advisor to say weโ€™ll get an invite to a meeting soon and itโ€™s important to attend as it will detail WHS changes for 2024
Dear god al go into meltdown ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘. Is WHS the equivalent of VAR in football.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What???..... like add 2 scores from our front 9's together to give 18 holes... makes no sense at all
That donโ€™t matter, what matters is itโ€™s simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Look lads I donโ€™t want to add fuel to the fire coz Ave said me piece and others have Had there views. I am of the ilk that I donโ€™t want this thread or opinions to go round and round and it donโ€™t go anywhere. ๐Ÿ‘

Tashyboy

Visit site
Andy,

I am sorely tempted to copy your entire post and Whatsapp it to your club's General Manager and ask for comment.
Not wanting to drag on a thread but like a bad penny Ave not gone away ๐Ÿ˜– Especially when I said I have said what I have said. However last night I was perusing the web and came across the latest club committee meeting. This was discussed.

Apparantly others at the course have had a moan To members of the committee,That I didnโ€™t know. I totally get the bit about playing off yellows. So much so I have played off them this year. But giving players three shots is keeping them on the whites. As you can see Jim, he is already aware.
Personally I think part of the problem is the reasons why the changes, is not being explained clearly from the start. That said, I still donโ€™t think that will change some golfers opinions. When this first came out, most heard through โ€œ gossipโ€ on the course rather than a email explaining the reasons why.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpeg
    IMG_1449.jpeg
    800.8 KB · Views: 35

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This is an issue worthy of some discussion, but a bit of a non-issue to my mind.
We started multi-tee for our weekly weekday medals this year.
After merely a few weeks the mantra became, "Play off the whites and get two more shots" and no-one played from the yellows for a few weeks.
With further discussion and thought (gossip) among players, some more started to opt for the yellows as the weeks progressed.

It is a fact that many remain bewildered to some degree by the new system of handicapping.

I don't recall that we ever did, but we could have run a comp with a choice of tee before WHS.
Par 70, but standard scratch of 69 from yellows and 71 from whites.
Everyone understood that 35 points from whites and 37 points from yellows was "playing to handicap" so 2 adjustment shots would have been necessary.
This they would have understood at the time, I'm sure.

An equivalent to this happens now, yet many are mistrustful of the new system and are quick to blame "it" for their lack of comprehension.

I see little "wrong" with WHS.
I would like to see no rounding of course handicap until after playing handicap % has been applied, as is done in Scotland.
I have found fault in the "scaling-up" nine hole formula and so will be very interested to see what is being done with this.

wjemather

Visit site
I don't recall that we ever did, but we could have run a comp with a choice of tee before WHS.
Par 70, but standard scratch of 69 from yellows and 71 from whites.
Everyone understood that 35 points from whites and 37 points from yellows was "playing to handicap" so 2 adjustment shots would have been necessary.
This they would have understood at the time, I'm sure.
Delusional. Most players thought 36 points was playing to handicap from all tees on all courses, and still do.