Open Competitions 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
We have a mate who goes on Golf Empire to check all Opens within an hour or 2's drive, creates a spreadsheet with them all, cost, format, etc and sends it to about 20 others. We put on our availability, spreadsheet updates live, and then we can all sort out Opens when we know who can play.

First one will be Grimsby on Good Friday.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Between April and October, opens are my primary way of playing golf. I crave variety too much to play the same course over and over again, so 'traditional' golf club membership is not appealing to me. My club offers a membership level that doesn't include any playing rights, so it's very cheap, it just keeps my handicap active which gives me access to the opens. Currently got seven booked for April, May and June; Sleaford, Ruddington, Ormonde Fields, Rushcliffe, Grimsby, Elsham and Matlock. Playing with different sets of friends at each one so it's a great way to catch up. Quality of the course is largely irrelevant (within reason, there is one that I went to last year that I won't be returning to!), the prize table is also irrelevant. Golf Empire is my favourite website! 😁

Last edited:

The Fader

Visit site
Did you play today? Very wet but hopefully you got the gist of the club and course. Shame about the weather but I hope you enjoyed it still.

I did. And got very wet.

Loved the quirkiness of the clubhouse buildings. But have to confess that I wasn't really blown away by the course.

Probably a little influenced by the weather and the fact I was absolutely gash today.

Loved the 1st par 3. Just what a par 3 should be! The 9th also a good hole but 2 further Par 3's at c. 200 yards just doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

If it was closer to home, I would give it a second chance but at a 170 mile round trip - probably won't be back.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did. And got very wet.

Loved the quirkiness of the clubhouse buildings. But have to confess that I wasn't really blown away by the course.

Probably a little influenced by the weather and the fact I was absolutely gash today.

Loved the 1st par 3. Just what a par 3 should be! The 9th also a good hole but 2 further Par 3's at c. 200 yards just doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

If it was closer to home, I would give it a second chance but at a 170 mile round trip - probably won't be back.
I think that's a shame. It really should have been closed yesterday and a combination of that and the near constant heavy rain clearly wouldn't do it any favours. Ah well 🤷‍♂️

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Anne's old links fantastic
Lindrick amazing
Ormskirk amazing
Alnmouth never played.

Non opens
Pike Fold
Sickleholme
Thornock
Crompton and Royton
Hopefully Rotherham
First one done, Alnmouth. Brilliant course. Amazing views over the sea. Well organised. Got a couple of 241 vouchers and there was a draw for a football, didn't win. Raffle as well, didn't win. Course was very enjoyable. Quite wet in places due to very heavy rain of late. Greens looked amazing. Great to putt on. It was a long way to come but we were here for castles anyway. They are great as well. Brilliant trip.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Planning on maybe playing an Open tomorrow, seen their is the odd space available, is it quite common to just join 3 other random players for Opens?
Never played one in my life 😂😂

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Planning on maybe playing an Open tomorrow, seen their is the odd space available, is it quite common to just join 3 other random players for Opens?
I'd say that's fairly unusual really but great that it's happening

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Where's that Brian? Unusual for an open to be 4 balls. Every one I've has been 3 balls

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where's that Brian? Unusual for an open to be 4 balls. Every one I've has been 3 balls
Aaah... of course..... I was thinking, 'English Open' ie B/ball. :unsure: :rolleyes: Some years ago, the few Scottish Opens I played didn't have players from the same Club together & were always a qualifier...... & usually Medal!!